Camshaft Position Sensors going bad

hcorps

Looks like the problem is in the camshaft phase gear. I think they are dealer only @$499 each. While in there its best to replace everything. Since mine has the 3.5 its just cheaper to replace the engine with a low mileage (40k) used engine. I wonder since the vq35de engine is in the 350z, some altimas, and the maxima would it fit in my pathfinder?

I know that if it keeps running in safe mode (on and off) it will ruin my catalytic converters...Would running a synthetic blend help?

Edited by hcorps

Looks like the problem is in the camshaft phase gear. I think they are dealer only @$499 each. While in there its best to replace everything. Since mine has the 3.5 its just cheaper to replace the engine with a low mileage (40k) used engine. I wonder since the vq35de engine is in the 350z, some altimas, and the maxima would it fit in my pathfinder?

Try messaging the guy who swapped in a 350Z motor into his car.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/40354-where-do-you-get-your-cam-shaft-sensors/

He claims to have done it.

And thats not installed is it at $499? I seriously doubt it.

-Kyle

If you are running fine for any distance (50-60 miles you mentioned earlier), I think it is unlikely to be the phaser. If it were bad it is likely to be bad 100% of the time. Not speaking as a mechanic, but just from what I read, they are fairly simple and not likely to fail other than due to sludge or debris. The sensors read the phase angle and when the ECU wants to advance the timing linear between 2k and 3k rpm it tells the solenoid to turn on/off to allow more or less oil into the cavities of the phaser. The oil exits the cavities at a fixed rate through an orifice but the solenoid controls the flow in. If you have determined it is not the cam sensor or the solenoid I still think it oil related such as sludge in a journal or in the phaser, or broken gasket.

I didn't read that you replaced the VVT solenoid, but don't go to the dealer for it - get a used one from a salvage yard or ebay if you can. I see them all the time at our local LKQ pic-your-part, and only $20 each. They get an R50 PF in just about every two weeks.