Camshaft Position Sensors going bad

hcorps

I replaced Camshaft Position Sensors about 1000 miles ago when it was hard to crank and wouldn't accelerate. After replacing both sensors vehicle ran fine. Now getting same trouble. And Ideas? CPS were factory Nissan parts.

Improper distance between sensor and teeth on the cog?

I seem to remember reading that one of the position sensors has to be near perfect.. I could have been reading about a different vehicle altogether however.. worth checking in to since it was just replaced and after replacement the issue was resolved. Maybe the sensor wasn't secured good enough and now the sensor is out of its operating range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain

Torqued down correctly, its doing same thing it was doing before. No power, floor it and it will drop into 2nd but wont hardly get up to 35mph...seems like it only does this when it gets warm..

I took it out and drove it til it started acting up, brought it home and sprayed the sensors. No change. I let the pathfinder sit for over an hour and it started up and ran fine for about 15 minutes then started same thing..sounded like a diesel when I drove back home, no power ect..

Under certain conditions the ECM will limit rpm, power and gears to prevent damage. It will still run though to allow you to limp home. Drive as little as possible in this mode.

Read your codes and that will tell you where to start. Otherwise your troubleshooting blind. An auto parts store should be able to read it for you.

Mechanic called and said its showing cam sensor codes and catalytic converter codes, I replaced cam sensors less than 1000 miles ago and it has a brand new total exhaust .

Since this is new equipment, I would start troubleshooting before replacing anything. It could be that the cam sensors were never bad to begin with. There could be corrosion in the connector. I haven't looked into it, but I think that these are magnetic pickups. If so, they could be getting a faulty voltage from the ECM. There may be bad grounds somewhere.

If you are doing this yourself, get a factory service manual and follow the troubleshooting procedure for the cam sensors. If you are paying someone, make sure they troubleshoot and don't just replace parts.

Mechanic cleared all codes, it ran fine for like 20 miles. They said come pick it up, they couldn't find anything wrong. I told them to drive it again since the outside temp when they drove it was 60 degrees. They drove it this afternoon @ 82 degrees and it started losing power again and sounding like a diesel. The engine light came on and they ran the codes, no camshaft codes only catalytic converter codes. It has brand new exhaust from manifolds back, only 1100 miles on it

I am assuming when they tell you catalytic converter codes, they are actually talking about a downstream O2 sensor code, which is what tells you if the catalytic converter is still working correctly.

Are the O2 sensors new with the new exhaust?

They said the catalytic converter is almost completely stopped up and theres a lot of back pressure. They said I should replace both $1598 for parts and labor

They said the catalytic converter is almost completely stopped up and theres a lot of back pressure. They said I should replace both $1598 for parts and labor

Magnaflow makes a universal replacement cat for roughly $200. If it were me, I would just get that and the swap should be pretty easy. Save you some cash that way. :my2cents:

2 new catalytic converters (old ones were stopped up and got so hot they melted the 02 sensors), after 30 miles of driving it shows one of the camshaft sensors as faulty, put a new one in..still shows new one as faulty and runs just like before...sounds like diesel and no power. Mechanic says must be in the timing gears. Any suggestions?

Before I put another 1k into it?

Sounds like 1. you need a new mechanic. 2. If it IS the converters, and they were replaced, they should have warranty. If not, well you're SOL there.

So you clear the codes and it runs fine for a bit? If the converters are plugged bad enough it will run like @!*% all the time. Sounds like to me you have a wiring issue. But seriously, find a new garage.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Adam. They should have diagnosed the sensor before replacing. Just because the code says a certain sensor, that only means the ECM is not seeing what it expects from the sensor. It could be caused by anything in the sensor circuit, including the ECM. That is why a good mechanic will troubleshoot to verify faulty parts before replacing.

I'm thinking the variable timing solenoid on the drivers side...its the only side that throws camshaft position sensor codes...and there are no other codes popping up right now...

Edited by hcorps