Spare tire on outside of cab?

Hey guys. Currently ingot the spare tire that bolts to rear driver side of cab. I need the space to get detailing equipment in and want to umbolt. My question is was it common to have the rear hatch racks for spares? Need to find one and convert as don't want to not have a spare on hand

Got a 91 2 Dr 3l sport xe

Thanks Brett

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Edited by ticallionstallyn

I threw the Yakima Mega-warrior basket w/ extension on my roof with their spare tire mount to free up space in the back. My 31" spare didn't fit very well in the back and took up way too much space and also causes a blind spot. On the basket its out of the way and doesn't limit vision. Others here have mounted factory tire swings on the back because, if I'm remembering correctly, its braced for it already. The hard part is finding a swing in good shape.

How's the windage with the spare on the roof?

I've got a 31 on mine and yeah, you can see it in the mirror, but it's not enough in the way to cause problems IMO. The hatch glass clears it, though not by much (I have caught my hand in between). The racks were fairly common but IIRC you do need to get the brackets from inside the quarter panel of the donor.

Not terrible. 90 MPH on the highway and you can feel it a little bit when the wind picks up. Its a little louder in heavy winds, but that's what my volume knob is for. :laugh:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just what people need, 70 pounds of crap on the roof!

Many Pathfinders came with a tire carrier on the rear, the ones that did have beefy brackets in the sheet metal so it's not the easiest to put one on a truck that didn't come with it from the factory, but doable with motivation.

As of today, May 14th, there are currently 4 pathys in Phoenix area salvage yards with tire swing racks on the back. They go for approx $29 to $40 depending on condition. I mounted on on my 95 pathy and it didn't have the mount plates above and below the right tail light. I set it, marked the hole locations and drilled it. Used nuts on the backside by going though the side access panel and used the bolts from the mount when removed from the other vehicle. The guide and lock bracket holes are standard on every pathy, and can be found by looking at the rear panel below the lift gate. You will see dimples where you drill the holes. The threaded brackets are behind it. I'll post pics showing the locations when I find them. If you want a swing mount, pm me asap. I can get one and ups slow boat ship it to you.

Here's a pic of mine with the tire carrier installed. Haven't had a single issue with it...and it's REALLY been nice to have, for those owners who haven't ever been without one!!

Bear in mind this was a junkyard purchase for $30 and a quick sand down and a can of Gloss Black Rustoleum

3cHRczi.jpg

This is a random online pic showing the full carrier assy. I've discovered there are actually two version of the swing carrier. This is the standard version, and there is a shorter version.

45fAGew.jpg

These are the locations of the holes I was talking about for the lock bracket and support bracket. If you have a pathy that doesn't have the tire carrier installed, look on your truck for 4 small dimples in these locations. If you use a 7/16" drill bit, it will drill through and the lock nut plates are already installed.

CSxP5J9.jpg