Rear sway bar maintenance

haakon

Hi all; newbie here with what might be (I'm hoping!) a stupid simple question. The car's got a bit of a wobble and sway on the highway- feels kinda like it's got a heavy load in the back but it doesn't. The folks at Les Schwab did an alignment (didn't hardly change anything, and it doesn't feel any different, so I'm thinking that that wasn't the problem). They said it needs new rear sway bar bushings.

Now the bushings look and feel fine to me, both the ones in the middle around the sway bar/stabilizer and the doughnut shaped ones on the attachment rods. I mean, they're present, don't look chewed up and I can't feel any cracks or anything. Seems to me like this means they're fine, but I don't know a lot.

I watched MrJim's video on replacing the front sway bar bushings and they were obviously shot. So, question is: can sway bar bushings go bad without any apparent sign?

Thanks for any advice!

Haakon

• Like 1

Have you checked the rear trailing arm bushings and the panhard rod bushings? Is your tire pressure correct all the way around? As long as everything is firm with the sway bar I don't think that is your issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Replace lower and upper trailing rod bushings. Easier to replace entire trailing arms instead of just the bushings. I have a 97 QX4 that was doing the same thing. I replaced the upper and lower trailing arms plus the sway bar links and the sway bar bushings all on the rear end. You have to press the bushings in if installing only bushings. I didn't do anything with the Pan Rod not saying it wouldn't help your situation. I found all I needed on ebay for around 200$ I also installed new shocks.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all; newbie here with what might be (I'm hoping!) a stupid simple question. The car's got a bit of a wobble and sway on the highway- feels kinda like it's got a heavy load in the back but it doesn't. The folks at Les Schwab did an alignment (didn't hardly change anything, and it doesn't feel any different, so I'm thinking that that wasn't the problem). They said it needs new rear sway bar bushings.

Now the bushings look and feel fine to me, both the ones in the middle around the sway bar/stabilizer and the doughnut shaped ones on the attachment rods. I mean, they're present, don't look chewed up and I can't feel any cracks or anything. Seems to me like this means they're fine, but I don't know a lot.

I watched MrJim's video on replacing the front sway bar bushings and they were obviously shot. So, question is: can sway bar bushings go bad without any apparent sign?

Thanks for any advice!

Haakon

So did you get it fixed?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk