Rear spare tire carrier - what are the holes to the right of spare for?

myounglaw

I have noted the holes to the right of the spare tire on the spare tire carrier. I also saw that there was some kind of plastic clip near the lower holes. Does anybody know what is supposed to go there? What was originally there?620c423c778c0d9c6cef57360ae45cc9.jpg3e3118518f0b09ed48baba9321a41763.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I'll break the ice - your 4 postings have gotten my attention.

Most likely an antenna whip for a CB. Pretty common location for it.

Noooooo...

There's a Pin that may or may not be attached to the carrier (Most Likely it's not because it's pretty self explanatory if you still have it) to hold it open when you're on uneven ground or moving. I can't imagine that anyone would recommend driving with the tire carrier pinned open, but I'm sure someone has done it.

I see the two holes you mention that should be for a pin to hold the gate open. Those are circled. I am referring to the two holes in the plates pointed to by the arrows. cce887daa725b825e6cfac1450ada5e5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree with Kurruppt. It looks like yours has gone missing.

The pin was attached to the spare carrier/rack with a piece of cord, and it was stored in that clip.

When you wanted to lock the rack open, the pin went vertically into the two holes you see on the lower mount.

I'd like to know what the two holes in the flat pieces (where the clip is located) were intended for, too.

Edited by kattwrad

Funny - I never even noticed it before, but it's actually a pin to keep the tire carrier from moving. I still have mine.

Here are some shots

pic2_zpsnzj34pza.jpg

pic1_zpspudshq3e.jpg

Not sure what the upper holes do on the carrier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone who still has pin would be wise to get rid of the nylon cord and replace it with some cable. You lose the pin it'll be hard to find another. 'Course you could use an Allen wrench!