1990 Nissan Pathfinder 4X4ing issue with wiring

ColtonCoyle

i went 4X4ing a little while ago and i went threw a big puddle and everything died on me it wouldn't start even if i jumped it, i could bump start it and get it running for a little while untill i hit a puddle again and it would die again i have no idea why its doing this

any help or info would be great thank you

I would be tugging on the main ground wire off of the battery for starters and then work my way to smaller wires. That sounds like no electrical circuit but if you can get us more detailed info we might be in a position to point you to a more specific location!

I would suggest stop hitting puddles.

Maybe I am dumb, but I have never heard the phrase "bump start". What do you mean? Is it turning over but not starting, not turning over, just clicking? Like SpecialWarr said, need more details.

Also, when we used to go to hunting camp, we would cross the Mentasta river about five times. The trick to water crossings is high RPM and slow speed. If you hit the water at speed, you create a wave that you push with the front and end up swamping your engine. Slower speed prevents the wave.

Edited by Citron

I would suggest stop hitting puddles.

Maybe I am dumb, but I have never heard the phrase "bump start". What do you mean? Is it turning over but not starting, not turning over, just clicking? Like SpecialWarr said, need more details.

Also, when we used to go to hunting camp, we would cross the Mentasta river about five times. The trick to water crossings is high RPM and slow speed. If you hit the water at speed, you create a wave that you push with the front and end up swamping your engine. Slower speed prevents the wave.

i just had someone pull the pathfinder while i was in first and had the clutch in then i would dump the clutch and it would start thats a bump start you can do the same thing with dirt bikes

What are we calling a puddle? I feel like a puddle is like less than 4 inches deep. I'm assuming we're going through water close to hub height or deeper. My guess is that you're getting water in the distributor. Try some dielectric grease in the plug wire boots, and wipe some silicone grease on the o ring on the dizzy base where the cap seals. Water crossings should be slow and steady. Just enough momentum to keep you going, but not so much that you're making a huge splash.

But making a Big Splash is FUN!!

I would kinda lean towards a combination on things like bad battery cables in conjunction with a failing alternator. No power = No Run

Stay away from the puddles :P

we got it running after we ''bump started'' it and it ran for a while untill i got something wet again under the truck and yeah i guess i under stated a ''puddle'' because it was half way up my tire when i went threw it and i may have gone threw it in 2nd so yes it would trun over but not from jumping it because jumping it didnt seem to work at all

So today when I was getting ready to leave work, I experienced the clicking, No start. I scratched my head, tapped my starter, pulled the ground cable off with no change. I finally had a look at the positive cable where I attempted to crimp it onto a connector some time ago. Yes, I have a crimper that big. Guess I didn't crimp it on that well, and it had pulled or worked it's way out. I pushed it back in and it fired right back up.

Point to the story, the power to the ignition and everything else is fed from wires that come off of the battery connection. You could have a good enough connection to power the ignition and everything else, but you could have a poor connection to your starter. It's not all powered off of the 4 gauge cable going to the starter. Recommend checking that out.

• Like 2

UPDATE: ive tried all of that and still no luck i have no idea whats going on with it and its really frustrating all the connections seem to be there and solid any other idea would be helpful the only other 2 ideas i have are 1 theres a big box looking fuze coming off the key area under the steering wheel that i think could have blown or 2 the starter is just fskced

any other suggestions would be amazing

Maybe someone did some creative wiring. I'm not aware of there being a fuse under the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a fuse that would keep the starter from turning over the engine. I may be wrong.

I agree, factory fuses are usually in a fuse box, not tucked under the dash. I wonder if it has an aftermarket security system that is messing up.

Did you take a look at the fusible links on the positive battery terminal and check them with a voltmeter? There is a possibility that one is overheated and melted....not that I did that to mine... a few years ago... by accident.