Sometimes hear clicking when I turn key to start

wd21fan

Hi all,

Excuse me if the same topic is elsewhere and if you know where please point me in that direction. I was not able to find it.

In the last two months my 1995 pathfinder sometimes gives a clicking sound of sorts when I turn the key in the ignition instead of starting up. Then I turn off the key and after 15 seconds, put the key in on position give about another 10 seconds and turn the key to start and voila, it starts. Could anyone of the gurus here tell me what should I start looking at or if they know where I could find a thread on this forum that would be of help? Thanks all.

Based almost solely on the clicking, I would speculate that your starter solenoid has a bad spot on it or you have dirty battery terminals.

1. I would clean the battery terminals with a wire brush. If that doesn't work, go to step 2.

2. Check to make sure you have a good ground to the engine/chassis from the battery. If your battery terminals were severely corroded at some point in time, your cables could be compromised and incapable of carrying adequate current to the starter. If you peel back the insulation on the cable towards the chassis ground and motor and they appear greenish in color, you should replace them. This May NOT fix your problem, but will keep it reliable in the future.

2. Check to see if your model has a starter relay on the passengers side fender. If you do, it's not a likely culprit, but it's cheaper than the starter. If that doesn't work, go to step 3.

3. Remove starter and have bench tested. A couple of things can go wrong with the starter causing something similar to what you're experiencing. A) There is a bad spot on the starter and a slight rotation could allow it to start again with no issues. B ) There could be a bad spot on the starter solenoid causing it to click and only click. C) Binding in the starter causing high current and no start. (I don't think this is your problem) D) The brushes just wear out or go bad causing slow starting because they're not making good contact to the motor. (I don't think that is the problem either)

If that doesn't give you a starting point or a fix, Let us know, we'll be happy to assist ;)

You can do 3 over 2. I actually keep the old starter relay that I replaced in the event I need to troubleshoot it again ;)

Edited by gamellott

Click/no start is not uncommon in these. The contacts in the ignition switch wear out and get to where they can't conduct full power to the starter solenoid, so it'll move the solenoid, but not push it hard enough to close the contacts that engage the motor. The usual fix is adding a relay so that when you turn the key, you power up a relay, which closes and sends full power to the starter. I seem to remember that the manual trans rigs had a starter relay and it's the autotragic rigs that this tends to happen to--but don't quote me on that.

I haven't had to do this to mine, but it did get a friend's Toyota working.

And +1 for checking the contacts, though I wouldn't expect a loose contact to mysteriously sort itself after sitting for a minute.

• Like 1

+1 on the above posts... the autos are the ones that tend to be guilty of the click/no start. I swapped my ignition assembly for a new one just to remove one other pain in my butt, I now have two keys a la old school GM / Ford.... one for the ignition and one for the locks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With every oil change some oil pours over the starter/solenoid and eventually the oil gets inside. I removed my starter when I had a similar issue and took it apart. Sure enough the innards were covered in oil.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Happening intermittently for me too. I ordered a starter. I will take the old one apart to check for oil and grime too. Guess it might be the key switch also possibly after reading. I have 4x4 Automatic also. Good Luck.