Shifter locking up at times in park on my 04

Really annoying and have seen it's common I

In nissans

If I pump the brakes nothing, I have to pull up the ebrake and hit the brakes a few times and it will usually unlock..

Lately I've been just jamming my tire guage stick down the shift lock hole to shift if needed but again, super annoying.

Only have 87,500 miles so kind of frustrated..

Is it just a bad spring Inside? Bad wire?

I'm really not a handy man so anyway to fix this easily without having to take everything apart? My break lamps work btw

Yes, you should hear it click every time. If it does and still doesn't allow shifting, you'll probably want to take a look at the solenoid and release mechanism, to make sure everything is attached properly and moves freely. It's the white/yellow assembly in the pic:

s-l1600.jpg

This part, specifically:

s-l500.jpg

In my case, this switch below had failed on mine...I replaced it with an identical switch from Digikey for a couple cents. The previous owner, however, had just wedged a 1/2" long piece of rubber tubing into the manual release assembly, so that it could just always be shifted with or without a key (wasn't a fan of that).

s-l500.jpg

This switch and the brake switch must be closed in order for the solenoid to trigger and release the shifter.

if its like my 00 maxima maybe shift lock sensor mine wouldn't let me engage out of park unless i engaged the shift lock button. Like all have said you should hear a click

Edited by JimyJames

Check the area right of the shifter to see if anything is pressing on it or it is out of alignment. I screwed my CB radio mount to it, and when the passenger seat is pushed up and pressing on the CB radio, it does this.

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2017 at 10:28 PM, hawairish said:

Yes, you should hear it click every time. If it does and still doesn't allow shifting, you'll probably want to take a look at the solenoid and release mechanism, to make sure everything is attached properly and moves freely. It's the white/yellow assembly in the pic:

s-l1600.jpg

This part, specifically:

s-l500.jpg

In my case, this switch below had failed on mine...I replaced it with an identical switch from Digikey for a couple cents. The previous owner, however, had just wedged a 1/2" long piece of rubber tubing into the manual release assembly, so that it could just always be shifted with or without a key (wasn't a fan of that).

s-l500.jpg

This switch and the brake switch must be closed in order for the solenoid to trigger and release the shifter.

Do you have the part number for the solenoid? I'm struggling to find it - Mine is balky when cold - Almost stranded the GF this morning...I can get it from a JY but sounds like its a pretty common problem so a aftermarket one may be better. 

Edited by Inyourface1650