Popping and Gutless. Hesitation

maddmark1981

Hey everyone, Im on here again trying to find out why every once in awhile my 95 nearly dies in take off until the rpm get to about 3000

it will Pop" like a backfire but is coming out what seems like the engine.

Any help would be apprecieated. thanks

Mark

whats your fuel millage like? have you replaced spark plugs, wire, rotor, cap recently? does it idle ok? when an engine is not running right but still runs the first things to check are spark and fuel. to little spark or to much fuel can cause the engine to choke.

• Like 1

There is a rattle when in 4x4

But my mpg is about 19. I put new plugs in 2 years ago. Did the dist cap last month. But this has been going on for months

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Any other symptoms? Codes? Any pattern to when this hesitation occurs (wet days, engine cold, engine warm, taking off soft, taking off hard?) If it happens when you take off hard, I'd check the driver's side engine mount and the intake pipe, I've heard of that pipe getting a rip that opens up when the engine rocks under acceleration--which then lets in unmetered air and makes the engine bog out. If it's worse when wet, it could be worn-out plug wires, but I expect you'd notice the misfire if that was the case (and it wouldn't be just on take off).

Rattle in 4x sounds like an unrelated issue. I have heard of the guts of a catalyst coming loose and rattling around, or getting jammed in sideways and blocking flow, but I wouldn't expect that to cause a once-in-a-while type issue.

• Like 1

I had the same symptoms happen to my sonoma. It ended being the fuel injectors, the popping/backfire is due to unburned gas entering the exhaust. I had no engine codes either but I checked the injectors and one was not firing another was weak.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...