Lokka front locker

Cornpone99

Expect to break cvs

If you abuse it, sure. Or likely in conjunction with too much lift, but that's a failure with the lift, not the locker.

Never had a problem with the Lokka when I had it, and now with an ARB, it's no different. Doesn't matter the vehicle or the locking method, there are a lot of CV-busting things you shouldn't do. Gunning it up a rock is one of them...it's when it abruptly catches traction is when you should expect something to break.

• Like 1

Expect to break cvs

Interesting comment. I've run a front ARB locker for 10 years and I have never broken a CV axle due to its use. You can expect to break CV's with an abusive driving style, not because the front is locked.

• Like 1

I was alway led to believe running lockers was more strenuous on a driveline? I'm thinking now though that is more due to the situations one tends to get into with a more modified rig perhaps? That being said though, the CVS are the weakest link in the driveline are they not?

• Like 1

I was alway led to believe running lockers was more strenuous on a driveline? I'm thinking now though that is more due to the situations one tends to get into with a more modified rig perhaps? That being said though, the CVS are the weakest link in the driveline are they not?

Lockers only cause stress in the driveline if you're driving wreckless. Lockers give you more traction control so you do not have to use the skinny pedal.

Yes, if you're at full lock bouncing.

Then comes steering--tie rod ends.

Think of it in the following manner... If you have a, let's say 5000 lbs to move upward a hill... If your truck is a normal 4x4 on , then you will have 1 wheel in front and 1 wheel in the rear pulling and pushing... That makes roughly 2500lbs of weight to move per axle... compare it to the same 5000lbs with a set of lockers... that makes 1250lbs per axle to pull/push the same weight. that's what I mean by less strenuous.

also, being locked changes the way you approach difficult obstacles... you go at it slowly and usually do not need the skinny pedal action... most of the breaking axles are done when the wheel goes from fast spinning to suddenly gripping (or getting traction).... when you're locked, all your wheel have the same wheel speed (traction or not)...so these fast change of rotation do not happen any more..

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 3

After installing my Lokka i was able to walk up everything where before i was having to get speed and rev high, spinning tires to make it up. You'll be suprised how much easier ot makes it to get around without beating up your rig.

Yes and no. In most scenarios, they reduce drivetrain strain because they distribute load equally. A fully locked vehicle distributes 25% of the load to each tire—the most efficient scenario you can hope for. An open diff can distribute 50/50, but as soon as a tire slips, it's as as good as 0/0, so something else has to do the work.

Consider the scenario with a front tire in the air with an open diff...the rear axle does all the pushing, 50% per rear shaft. With a front locker, load reduces to 33%. If a rear tire breaks traction even for a brief instance, load to that front CV can shoot up from 33% to 100% because the rear is effectively not helping (this is where even a worn LSD is better than an open diff). This is a scenario to avoid, of course, because you're asking one CV to drag the entire truck forward. Momentum can help, but often times, it will hurt.

For the front, CVs are probably the weakest link. But keep in mind they are also the strongest when they are straight. That's where excessive lift weakens them...more angle is less efficiency. When they bind, you've already exceeded their working angle, and breakage will soon follow. As a real-world example to that, put a ratchet on an angle joint...it's far easier to tighten a bolt when the joint is straight than when it's angled. Even having the tire in air with a locker can break the CV, particularly if the tire is brought to a sudden stop (like when the tire lands back on the ground).

• Like 1

Expect to break cvs, but I haven't really heard anything bad about lokkas

This would be an easy misconception to have. If you are thinking of a locker as a welded or literally locked differential then when turning, both wheels have to turn the same speed and they are fighting each other. When traction is high at both tires that can be very strenuous.

But lockers like the Lokka allow one wheel to turn faster than the drive wheel when turning so everything works in harmony as the others described above.