P0305 code vg33 2000 Pathfinder SE

bushnut

So the truck started shaking and stuttering the other day CEL was Flashing. Code P0305. Cylinder #5 misfire. Started with the usual suspects. Plugs&Wires #6 is a PITA #4 was almost stuck! Next Distributor cap and rotor, as well as air filter. Oil was changed in December, Cleared Codes with my scan tool. drove around the block and no change still running bad. most definitively not running on all 6 cylinders. Though it starts just fine. first time every try. At Idle you can tell it is not quite right but no bad clanking or other "wrong noises" just a stutter in the idle. today's air temp was -7C. CEL still showing P0305. Just filled up with premium Gas and a bottle of injector cleaner "snake oil". any ideas? tomorrow I'll be checking for vacuum leaks with a can of brake clean.

The Question is will there be any harm to the engine driving around like this?

#5 Injector not working?

Short term there shouldn't be any issues. Long term, if your not burning the fuel, then you can have cat issues, or fuel getting past the rings. Unless of course the injector is not working. I would try to limit it to only necessary travel until it is fixed.

GOOD NEWS...there is light at the end of the tunnel. so after checking for vacuum leaks with a can of carb clean (finding none) I started checking the injectors. the should have a resistance of 11- 14 ohms. #5 (miss firing cylinder) was reading at 18 ohms. removed it and it looked Ok. cleaned it and re-installed. truck ran great, code was clear, for about 2 minutes. Then started shuddering again and code P0305 came back. swapped injector #5 with ingector #1.....Lo and behold code switched to P0301...bad injector. heading to the JY tomorrow to find a few injectors...a new one up hear is $192.00.... I know right...free trade may asss. Judging from the lack of tool marks on the hold down screws these puppies are 17 years old and I think I'll have to replace more of them in the future.

not my first day at the rodeo. I am a bicycle mechanic by trade. fixing is what I do. when searching the internet for a solution to a problem, nothing drives me crazier than incomplete forum posts. :) almost as bad as blue balls.

So I went to the local JY today found a couple of R50s grabbed 2 injectors from 2 different vehicles. different cylinders....just to up my odds of not pulling more bad ones. total cost...$10.00. they look like OEM one. picked one cleaned it up with carb cleaner and installed....truck runs perfect. has more power. sounds great. I think this problem was developing for a while but took some time to throw a code. just a steady decline in performance that sneaks up on you until things are bad. my advice is to buy an Ultra Gage/ Scan Gage/ Smart Phone AP that lets you see your engines performance in real time. it really helps with diagnostics.