CV Replacement

Nissman

So here goes another maintenance job on my Pathy . I'm going to install my Cv's both sides in a couple of weeks. I've got the new springs in which is giving my 2002 Pathfinder around a 40mm lift from standard now.

If you spot me any info on the do's and donts it would be great to hear from you .

I'm sure it will be a learning curve for me as I've never had to do a changeover before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just remember to use your torque wrench. oh! and DO NOT HAMMER on the splined end of the axle where it goes through the hub. don't ask me how I know.

It helps if you disconnect the ball joint and the strut to do the cv shafts.

• Like 1

The guy in the video did it the hard way. It's much easier to remove the CV axle by removing the fasteners holding the A-arm to the subframe. Even the factory service manual specifies to remove the A-arm bolts, not the strut-to-knuckle bolts.

Procedure (after front end is supported on jack stands and tires are removed)

1 pry off the outer hub cap revealing snap ring on the end of the axle shaft.

2 using snap-ring pliers, remove the snap ring

3 Insert a screwdriver into the brake rotor vents or other means of preventing the rotor from turning

4 remove 6 12mm bolts holding inner CV joint to the differential housing

5 remove bolts holding A-arm to subframe

6 swing A-arm down away from subframe, providing clearance to slide CV axle out of hub

7 slide CV axle out of hub. If it is stuck, you can hammer on a piece of wood placed against the end of the axle to knock it through the hub

8 check for the presence and orientation of a thrust washer on the CV axle. Sometimes it comes off with the axle, sometimes it stays in the hub

9 if thrust washer came off with old axle, place it onto the new axle in the same orientation

10 installation is the reverse of removal

• Like 1

Like , xplorx4 said, I like his method alot better because if you are running any camber bolts, you just screwed up your alignment with the method showed in the video... that's more money to fork out for an alignment that is not necessary... the method from xplorx4 is the method I use also...

• Like 1

913b2a5ce81917198cf029a3b9260406.jpgb72c6f0f7c34831294360bc19ac5270f.jpg516f1331fb1da7fdd800803da72d0c09.jpg159a175b94222f75a4232e2053c40a16.jpge801876ea9f58e1362af00899b5a606f.jpg

Excellent and it's all done - it didn't take to long at all about 30 mins per side and the vid was great ;) used a rattle gun to get the bolts off and a few pics in for ya -- Easy Job to do yourself aswell .

I needed rear tyres for my drive so I ended up switching my front tyres to the rear and New on the front with an alignment just in case .

Thanks for your comments they all helped greatly I'm back on the Rd with new CV's

Next Job soon might be my Rear Diff Bearing lol I'll keep you posted if I do this myself.

• Like 2

Thanks mate took it for a 6hr drive today down to the beach and through the hills it's running ok but I have a slight rocking in the front end which might be the sway bushes or lower control arm bush not sure yet . Few little problem which I have to sort out . But it gets me to my favorite spots still 6f8d9f61f28f2f4c54ef183a1726f065.jpg