Spacers and OME MD Rear Springs

McFalconPunch

Sorry to start another topic on lifts, but I could not find an answer or anyone with the same setup.

I bought a set of 2 inch front spacers second hand because I thought I would be saving money. It was honestly my fault because my mind put 2 inch spacers and 2 inches of lift as the same thing. So now i'm working with a 2.5 inch lift for the front. Struts and shocks are new, but stock.

As for the rear, I bought new 2 inch spacers from Steve. I also bought OME MD (Medium Duty) springs for the rear. From my understanding the springs alone will raise the rear .5 - .75 inches.

Im totally okay with the rear sticking up 1/4 of an inch higher than the front.

So is this setup okay? Anyone have any pictures of the amount of lift i will be expecting?

Also, did you have to install the D22 Frontier brake line for the rear?

I haven't yet, since I'm still running stock shocks so the range of motion is the same as it was when it rolled out of the factory. I probably will when I get new shocks, more to be safe rather than sorry. It wasn't very expensive, I just don't feel like bleeding the brakes.

• Like 1

Ive run that setup. OME MD springs are rated for 1.75" of lift, not .5" or .75".

While your shocks will limit your travel I would still suggest getting the brake line. Its a cheap part. 12 bucks from Autozone or O'Reillys and its a direct fit.

• Like 1

Ive run that setup. OME MD springs are rated for 1.75" of lift, not .5" or .75".

While your shocks will limit your travel I would still suggest getting the brake line. Its a cheap part. 12 bucks from Autozone or O'Reillys and its a direct fit.

I haven't yet, since I'm still running stock shocks so the range of motion is the same as it was when it rolled out of the factory. I probably will when I get new shocks, more to be safe rather than sorry. It wasn't very expensive, I just don't feel like bleeding the brakes.

Already got it ordered just in case from Advance! $12 - TRT30 = $8.40, Cheap insurance. I ordered a pair of Bilstein 33-185552 (5100's) whenever I do all of this so it will be needed. Thanks guys!

Edited by McFalconPunch
  • Like 1

It'll be up pretty high in the rear. Like 1.5"

I run a similar setup and have .5" in rear.

I had enough play on my rear brake lines to unbolt the shocks and jump up and down on the diff with the frame jacked up and not overextend them....

Edited by LittleFR

I saw your build thread, I guess I will just put one in and go from there! Thanks for your help.

In my opinion it sits a little high, but in the summer I tow a trailer and camp a lot, and it rides level with a heavy load, do I like it.

Exactly what I want! It will probably all be put on this weekend weather permitting and if my son decides he wants to be born.

• Like 1

Already got it ordered just in case from Advance! $12 - TRT30 = $8.40, Cheap insurance. I ordered a pair of Bilstein 33-185552 (5100's) whenever I do all of this so it will be needed. Thanks guys!

What part number did you order? Is this the rear center hose that you replace? I just rounded up all my parts for my lift this weekend and I think the brake line is my final piece, I went with OME Medium and 1in spacers and Bilsteins as well.

What part number did you order? Is this the rear center hose that you replace? I just rounded up all my parts for my lift this weekend and I think the brake line is my final piece, I went with OME Medium and 1in spacers and Bilsteins as well.

BHA381108

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Sorry to grave dig this thread, but I figured better than starting a new one.

I just ordered OME springs (MD rear/HD front). I will be keeping my stock struts up front as they were recently replaced. I want to upgrade my rear shocks to mono tube ones (either Gas-a-just or 5100, as per many recommendations on this forum).

My question is, what benefits do I get from upgrading to a longer shock such as the 5100? Would I be fine staying with stock length and going for the Gas-a-just?

I saw many threads that touched on this but none that would give me hard answers on the pros and cons of either.

Thanks in advance!

Are you just going to be doing rear springs, no spacers? If that's the case, longer shocks aren't necessary. Longer shocks will give you more suspension flex (which is great for offroading!), however too much longer and you'll have to lengthen your brake hose and differential breather. I have OME MD rear coils with 2" spacers and STOCK shocks, and it is fine for my purposes, for now. It'll certainly operate fine, however there are offroad performance benefits to longer. If you're getting new shocks anyways I'd recommend going for longer.

• Like 1

Are you just going to be doing rear springs, no spacers? If that's the case, longer shocks aren't necessary. Longer shocks will give you more suspension flex (which is great for offroading!), however too much longer and you'll have to lengthen your brake hose and differential breather. I have OME MD rear coils with 2" spacers and STOCK shocks, and it is fine for my purposes, for now. It'll certainly operate fine, however there are offroad performance benefits to longer. If you're getting new shocks anyways I'd recommend going for longer.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So far I am planning on only the springs.

At what length do I need to start worrying about getting extended lines? I'm guessing the Bilsteins would probably require that?

The extended ones I'm looking at are 5100 series part number #33-185552

Edited by dezm

Thanks for the quick reply!

So far I am planning on only the springs.

At what length do I need to start worrying about getting extended lines? I'm guessing the Bilsteins would probably require that?

The extended ones I'm looking at are 5100 series part number #33-185552

I honestly can't say that I have a particular length for you, hopefully somebody who has used those shocks perhaps would have a solid answer.

I honestly can't say that I have a particular length for you, hopefully somebody who has used those shocks perhaps would have a solid answer.

No worries, thanks for your help!

On a facelift R50 like yours, the perfect rear shock is the Procomp ES3000, part number 326500. They need to be combined with spring/spacer height of 400 mm minimum - otherwise the spring will fall out. they are available for $40 per shock online, and will give you unbeatable flex for a 2" lift - I have these shocks. The shock travel is 11.13", almost all of which is usable (very little wasted uptravel above the shock mount).

When I flex my R50 out, I've measured 15.5" difference between sides, from hub to wheel well, and that's with the swaybar still attached! These shocks are great. You can flex more than the travel of the shock because of how the axle angles.

Only problem is they hit the panhard bar on the right on prefacelift R50s because of the different lower rear shock mount.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 3

I have the bilstein 185552 on my 02. Along with OME MD and 2" spacers. I don't have extended brake line/diff breather and it's just fine. I can get a rear wheel hanging without snapping anything.

If you're going to be lifting, new shocks are only a benefit. Extra length helps with wheeling as mentioned, and new damping makes for an overall improved drive. Mine felt pretty stiff at first but got better after breaking in. has excellent handling now too. Of course this was with new bushings and a full overhaul on the front too.

Edited by jjonez
  • Like 3