zombie out break vehicle

RF600

So I have been thinking about more than a 4x4. Something like a bug out vehicle. I'm not going to be going crazy. Keep it simple, keep it basic. I was looking at a full size blazer or suburban. That is a much added cost on what I need to keep budget friendly. So that is out.

After much thought I have decided to use the pathfinder and upgrade a few things. First I want to upgrade the engine. I would like to swap in a vg33. I have been doing my share of reading up on it. I'm currently trying to find Mr.510 and get a hold of his crank adapter. I have a couple messages out to him. If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, please let me know.

With the vg33 swap comes california smog. It will be a stock build. Just looking for a bit more out of my old girl. I'm not too keen on milling the vg30 crank pulley. I don't want to use the vg30 crank either. I remember something about the Canadian crank pulley that would work. That might be tough to find?

Good choice on vehicle. I keep all my tools and my packed camping backpack with a weeks worth of food in mine. Mostly so when I go backpacking I don't have to pack. But it duals as a bugout bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the part number Slartbartfast. I will see if I can find one for a reasonable price.

I still need to build bumpers, front and rear. Hopefully that will be this summer. I'm not terribly worried about accessory brackets. I have a welder and some basic fab skills.

I just looked for that part number, discontinued. So it looks like used is what I need to try and find.

This isn't a rush build. The 3.0 is running well. It is for later on. Maybe I will have to change the accessories over to the 3.3? We will see what happens when I get to that point. There are options, just depends on how creative I need to be.

If I went with a blazer, I would like to put a 4bt in it. It would be a lot of work, but the payoff would be good. No computer for those.

It looks like I have my work cut out for me doing the vg33 swap. Finding the crank pulley or the adapter will be a chore. If I can even find one. I may have to run all the accessories from the 33? I won't really know til I start the swap.

I'm still doing research on the swap. A few photos are out there. Not too many. I alway have this site to assist me along the way.

It sounds like you could use a vg33 out of an Xterra or frontier and possibly keep all of the accessories on the engine with a little work. I think it may only be the vg33 out of the r50 that needs the accessories swapped. Avoid the pulley issue.

Citron if that's the case, it might not be too difficult to make things work. I will look into the X engine. Thanks.

Now if all this rain we are getting would stop for a weekend, it would give me some time to go and look at engines.

Mr.510 did get in touch with me. He is moving his shop. It would be 2-3 months before he has any adapters ready to go. So for anyone who is looking for an adapter, you can still get one.

• 1 year later...

Can you still get one now? His website is down, eBay says his store doesn't exist, and his Facebook page hasn't been updated since 2015. I really need one of these adapters. Sorry for the thread jack, but it looked dead. Hopefully someone will notice the revives I'm doing, the rules said to use old threads for the same topic as opposed to creating a bunch of new ones that say the same thing.