Clicking Sound from the Front Left?

mjotrainbrain

I really hate these "help me ID this sound" threads but this has been going on for months and is getting worse and I can't figure out what it is! It sounds like something is loose and making a clicking sound as it wiggles around while going over any kind of bump, however I can't find anything loose. I replaced the sway bar end link on that corner and it didn't fix it. I can't feel anything while driving it over the last couple thousand miles since I first noticed it, so I don't think it's a major suspension component. I've got a few ideas, I'm not sure if it's any of them or how to check.

1) CV Joint: Pretty sure this isn't it, as it only happens over bumps, but I don't know how I would go about checking to make sure.

2) Strut Bearing: I have no idea what the symptoms for this are, but I'd heard of people advising to replace these while installing a lift (which I decided not to do) so I wonder if my laziness is catching up to me.

3) Wheel Bearing: It appears that my front wheel bearings are slightly sloppy, so maybe they're making this noise? Don't really know if the sound matches a wheel bearing going bad, but it might be worth looking into.

4) Other Bearing or Bushing: Probably what it is, but there's quite a few to look through...don't even know where to start with this.

As I said, I don't think it's anything super important as I haven't noticed any negative side effects, but it's definitely something that moves with the suspension. I don't want to pay somebody to look at it so I've been ignoring it, but lately it's been really warm here in Michigan (60F in February is pretty crazy) and with the window down it's really bothering me. Any suggestions you guys have will be appreciated.

• Like 1

Check the CV by driving slowly and turning sharply. But I agree, by your description I don't think it is the CV axle.

Should tighten the wheel bearings anyway, easy thing to rule out.

Ball joints are more of a clunk, but it is when going over bumps.

Can you put a jack under the lower A arm and jack it up to simulate the suspension being compressed and then digging around to see if you can find anything loose?

• Like 1

Also try rocking the car side to side and see if the noise appears, I've had to tweak my sway bar links up a few times.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yup, it happens while rocking the car. I might make a video tomorrow to show it.

Check the CV by driving slowly and turning sharply. But I agree, by your description I don't think it is the CV axle.

Should tighten the wheel bearings anyway, easy thing to rule out.

Ball joints are more of a clunk, but it is when going over bumps.

Can you put a jack under the lower A arm and jack it up to simulate the suspension being compressed and then digging around to see if you can find anything loose?

When I go through to double-check that the sway bar links are tight I'll do that stuff, thanks.

I had a clicking develop after a wheeling trip and was about 99% sure it was the metal around mounting location for the subframe that was deteriorated, flexing under compression. After I came to that conclusion I was prepping to tear it down for inspection and welding so I pressure washed the front end, causing yhe clicking to stop, and it turned out to be sand or debris that were caught somewhere in that vicinity.

Do you have a SFD? Any rust in the subframe mount locations even if you dont? Did it start after a wheeling trip?

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 1

I had a clicking develop after a wheeling trip and was about 99% sure it was the metal around mounting location for the subframe that was deteriorated, flexing under compression. After I came to that conclusion I was prepping to tear it down for inspection and welding so I pressure washed the front end, causing yhe clicking to stop, and it turned out to be sand or debris that were caught somewhere in that vicinity.

Do you have a SFD? Any rust in the subframe mount locations even if you dont? Did it start after a wheeling trip?

No SFD, but it did start mid-way through some wheeling last November. I've washed it a few time since then, but it's worth checking again. Next time I wash it I'll focus closely on the subframe mounts, thanks!

check the sway bar bushings that are on the front of the sway bar parallel to the steering rack. they are known to deteriorate and are very quick and cheep to replace.

How would I check that? I know where it is, but would there be obvious/noticeable slop if that's the problem?

sway end links..... almost 100% sure

That's what I had thought, which is why I replaced it. Maybe I got a defective one and I need to replace it again? I'll check. It feels tight though and looks all right.

I had the same thing with my 2001 at one time... I looked at all the usual suspects like you... ended up being the inner tie-rod ends... Even when I removed them I was not sure as they were still stiff, but after changing them, the problem was gone instantaneously.. I guess you can't really wiggle them by hand and find if they are done or not when the problem only occurs over a bump.. This means it takes alot of pressure in a fast burst for the problem to occur...

I will try to find the post on it.. I'm pretty sure I did write about it in here..

S,.

• Like 2

How would I check that? I know where it is, but would there be obvious/noticeable slop if that's the problem?

after replacing everything else I still had a clicking sound....they were the last and cheapest parts. next time I'm starting there and moving to the more expensive stuff. If you think about what a sway bar does you realize that it is under constant twisting/ bending forces. small rubber bushings really won't last all that long. they are easy to change and are what enginnerds call a consumable. I think I paid like 5 bucks from rock auto. there wasn't any noticeable "slop" but when I compared the old vs. the new it was very apparent that they were worn out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I should update y'all on this. I couldn't tell unless I had the suspension jacked up in just the right way, but the sway bar end link is SUPER loose! Unfortunately due to it's design (hex key in the middle of a wrench; kind of awkward to get torque on) I'll have to replace it with a new one (will be ordering Moog shortly), but it won't come on or off so I'm going to wait until it's nice outside and cut it off. It turned out the sway bar bushings needed replacing anyway (got Moog replacements from my local Advance Auto) and there's a few other bits I should address this summer, so again, thank you all! :aok:

• 2 weeks later...

Are you refering to what is called in the manual as the stabilizer connecting rod? Because even as they have a hex key, they also have nuts on both sides. I completely disconnected and retorqued them with no problems or I might be confusing it with something else. You should be able to torque them just using 2 wrenches and no hex key.

Edited by Qctech

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I should update y'all on this. I couldn't tell unless I had the suspension jacked up in just the right way, but the sway bar end link is SUPER loose! Unfortunately due to it's design (hex key in the middle of a wrench; kind of awkward to get torque on) I'll have to replace it with a new one (will be ordering Moog shortly), but it won't come on or off so I'm going to wait until it's nice outside and cut it off. It turned out the sway bar bushings needed replacing anyway (got Moog replacements from my local Advance Auto) and there's a few other bits I should address this summer, so again, thank you all! :aok:

If possible could you describe the jack placement to unveil the mysterious looseness?

If possible could you describe the jack placement to unveil the mysterious looseness?

With the subframe set on jackstands and the tire removed, I was able to move the suspension up and down by placing the jack under the ball joint. I just had to keep slowly moving it up until I found the sweet spot where the sway link had some slack, at which point I was able to tell that mine was very loose.