Concerns about alternator and water crossings

Backpacker

So this is the first rig I've had where the alternator is all the way on the bottom of the engine. Have any of you had problems with the alternator being submerged when going in deep water? Im concerned because my old alternator died on me a month ago when it was raining hard and I did about 3 hours of city driving in a big storm.

I'm about to start the process of water proofing everything so I can go to my favorite camping spot which requires getting about 2.5-3ft deep. I need to find what needs extended breathers, and decide whether I'm going to relocate my ecu or build a waterproof enclosure. Also need to do an electric fan mod. My current fan is cracking in spots and I'm sure it will get crazy if it hits water, even without the current wear on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Backpacker

As for your alternator, Since you have a new one in, you should be okay for a long while. It doesn't hurt to have a spare with you.

I'm not sure where the front or rear breather tubes vent to but it doesn't hurt to get them out higher or somewhere it doesn't ingest water.

Either way works for your ECU, it's total preference. Definitely must do as these pathfinders are getting harder to source in the junkyard.

For me, if I'm water to soak my ECU, I'm already in trouble.

• Like 1

My buddy had a Tracker with SAS and super Swampers. He would go to a Napa and an Advance Auto. Get the 3year warranty and just exchange one or the other about every month during mud bogging season. LOL.

when the d21s and wd21s first came out Nissan leased a bunch of them to the city of San Diego for the lifeguards, very soon they were being towed in to Pacific Nissan where I worked and the ecus were fried. We found that the velour seats were leaking salt water down onto the ecu

we started bagging them in plastic to keep the water off of them. If your going to be in deep water I'd move itto a higher location or try and seal it up so water can't get in it

Water shouldn't hurt. I've been in salt water half way up the doors and rain water up to the headlights and never had electrical issues. These trucks are well sorted out. that's one reason I just purchased another one for my daughter for school. Happy Wheeling!

I thought the front diff tied into the transmission and transfer case breathers up at the firewall. I'd probably just splice the rear into that system.

That would be awesome if this is the case. I will have to look at mine and see if it is like that.