4 Wheel Drive AUTO a joke???

joehurdler

I have a 03 Pathfinder LE with the All-Mode 4 Wheel drive and noticed that when I have it set in Auto, the pathy fish tails when when I stomp on the accelerator in Snowy conditions. This occurs especially when making a turn and sometimes just driving straight. The vehicle is obviously fish tailing because the rear wheels are spinning out.

Then when I set it to 4-Wheel High, it works fine and there is no fish-tailing. Now of course, I do have to admit that it may not be wise to briefly stomp or gas it in the snow in 4 wheel auto , but whats the use of having a pathy with 4 wheel drive if you aren't gonna play with it :).

Anyhow..Based on what I read, the 4-Wheel Drive "AUTO" mode is supposed to sense slipping or loss of tractiong from the rear wheels and then engage the front wheels to compensate. This is supposed to occur within mili-seconds and therefore result in no slipping or fish-tailing while driving.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Later, Joe

I have an LE with the "Auto" option and have used it a few times. It isn't as good as 4Hi when stomping around but it hasn't fishtailed on me in the snow or ice and works pretty well. It has a split second response lag but I love using it on the highway when it's snowing/icing bad. Maybe you need the Revo tires to dress it up in :takebow:

With those on, you will be better off than with anything else.

Hey, where'd you get your revo's and what year is your pathy? I tried going to TireRack.com but the tires offered for my vehicle don't display the Bridgestone A/T Revo's as being offered for my vehicle specs.