BDS 2" Lift

micahfelker

I've been looking at (or trying to find) lifts for my '96 r50 for quite awhile now and I came across something that I haven't seen anywhere on the forums. Here it is:

http://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=799H

It looks to me like the springs are shorter than the ac lift just going off the pictures, but it's much cheaper which is a huge plus for me as a college student haha.

Anyway, do any of you know if these are any good? Anyone have any experience with them?

I was thinking about getting them at the same KYB struts and shocks on Amazon, considering they're any good. I'd also get some warn hubs.

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-335015-Excel-G-Gas-Strut/dp/B000C44C44/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1480618509&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-11&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-343388-Excel-G-Gas-Shock/dp/B000EQCHBU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Nissan%7C67&Model=Pathfinder%7C893&Year=1996%7C1996&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-29091-Premium-Manual-Hubs/dp/B000CQDPIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486886096&sr=8-1&keywords=warn+manual+hubs+28+spline

I'm running 265/75r16 tires right now, and I'll hopefully be able to step up to 33's after I figure out what to do for a lift. I just want my rig to sit higher and get rid of that awful rake i have right now with my 20 year old springs and struts haha.

Also I'm sorry there's probably a million threads on this but I figured I'd mention it while asking about the BDS springs. Is there anything else besides what I've listed that I should get or replace when I do the lift? Also let me know if you know anything about the BDS springs. Thanks!

• Like 1

Wow, that's awesome! I can't believe nobody's found this kit before! BDS is a local company and tons of the local Jeep guys run their stuff, so I can definitely vouch for their quality. It's too bad they don't also make heavy duty coils, or else I'd be ordering in a heartbeat!

And in terms of other things you'll need, there shouldn't be anything. Just be prepared to get new swaybars links while you're in there in case you notice one is worn out or, like me, you have to hacksaw one off. And since you're trying to save money, I'd suggest the Mile Marker hubs.

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/locking-hub-4-wheel-drive/mile-marker-locking-hub-4-wheel-drive-/140057_5532_1374/

Good find on that lift! I may have to drive out personally some time and see if they're interested in making other Pathfinder lifts too. :aok:

Edited by mjotrainbrain

I'd love to know more on the springs specs and how much they settle. You don't get much for $200 these days but if it's a true 2" that holds up it could be a great option for some folks.

Hey LittleFR do you have a pic or two of your rig that's listed in your sig?? I also have a 2001 LE and you have yours setup like I want to possibly go with mine... Want to see how it looks before I make decisions..

Also question about these spring lifts...

The rear is pretty straight forward for me but the front leaves me scratching my head a bit... If you get taller or stiffer springs for a coilover strut I'm wondering how that works since the strut can only be extended just so far...

Does the spring just make it naturally ride higher on the strut??

If so wouldn't that cause the strut to fully extend a lot more often on bumps around town or at highway speeds? Seems at highway speeds that could cause a lot more instability?

I am used to the traditional spring lifts as I recently had a Jeep with a lift and they are pretty straightforward in many cases (they get more complicated and expensive with lifts 3" and above)...

the front will ride higher on the strut yep. there's generally enough travel in a factory strut, but ideally you want to add longer travel inserts along with the springs.

You have a link for the travel inserts possibly?? Not sure what to search for.

• Like 1

idk how I feel about those only because of the image. The front coils look like they have a pig tail? Either that or the coils get very wide after the top and bottom few inches. If they do get wide they might hit on the tire or for non sfd people they can possibly hit in the inner well. The rear also has a slight pigtail look on one end and neither end of the pathfinder has that sort of perch. Quite possible that they aren't using actual pictures for the cars but who knows...

How did you access the Nissan Pathfinder lift on their site? I can't seem to find it except by clicking your link. I have an Xterra as well as my wife's Pathfinder, and am curious if they offer a kit for that.

How did you access the Nissan Pathfinder lift on their site? I can't seem to find it except by clicking your link. I have an Xterra as well as my wife's Pathfinder, and am curious if they offer a kit for that.

from the main site, click on <closeouts> button on the lower left....then choose nissan... it's the only product there.

idk how I feel about those only because of the image. The front coils look like they have a pig tail? Either that or the coils get very wide after the top and bottom few inches. If they do get wide they might hit on the tire or for non sfd people they can possibly hit in the inner well. The rear also has a slight pigtail look on one end and neither end of the pathfinder has that sort of perch. Quite possible that they aren't using actual pictures for the cars but who knows...

Yeah I had the same exact thought. It's probably just not a picture of the actual springs. I'm probably going to end up trying them since they're so much cheaper than any of the other options, so once I get them I'll definitely throw up some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah I had the same exact thought. It's probably just not a picture of the actual springs. I'm probably going to end up trying them since they're so much cheaper than any of the other options, so once I get them I'll definitely throw up some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some guys in my 4x4 club work for BDS or have close connections, so I'll make a post on the club forums to see if anyone can get better info.

I have yet to figure out the photo posting on this site. I'm not very tech savvy, that's why I have a 'mystery ride' PM me your number or email and I can send them.

I have .5" of rake higher in the back. I do not like the front end up or a grasshopper stance.

I lifted the front and did OME and let it settle before adding rear spacers to get what I wanted.

I saw a YouTube video from a German company called spaccers.com that has strut extensions. I don't think I would use them personally. It seems to me they would allow the suspension to droop to far and bind the cv joints. It would help eliminate top out but that doesn't seem to be as hard on the struts as over extension is on the cv's.

I've been looking at (or trying to find) lifts for my '96 r50 for quite awhile now and I came across something that I haven't seen anywhere on the forums. Here it is:

http://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=799H

It looks to me like the springs are shorter than the ac lift just going off the pictures, but it's much cheaper which is a huge plus for me as a college student haha.

Anyway, do any of you know if these are any good? Anyone have any experience with them?

I was thinking about getting them at the same KYB struts and shocks on Amazon, considering they're any good. I'd also get some warn hubs.

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-335015-Excel-G-Gas-Strut/dp/B000C44C44/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1480618509&vehicle=1996-67-893------------1-0&sr=1-11&ymm=1996%3Anissan%3Apathfinder

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-343388-Excel-G-Gas-Shock/dp/B000EQCHBU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Nissan%7C67&Model=Pathfinder%7C893&Year=1996%7C1996&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-29091-Premium-Manual-Hubs/dp/B000CQDPIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486886096&sr=8-1&keywords=warn+manual+hubs+28+spline

I'm running 265/75r16 tires right now, and I'll hopefully be able to step up to 33's after I figure out what to do for a lift. I just want my rig to sit higher and get rid of that awful rake i have right now with my 20 year old springs and struts haha.

Also I'm sorry there's probably a million threads on this but I figured I'd mention it while asking about the BDS springs. Is there anything else besides what I've listed that I should get or replace when I do the lift? Also let me know if you know anything about the BDS springs. Thanks!

I install BDS lift kits at work all the time and have not had any issues whatsoever. Quality parts every time and customer service has always been great, and you can't beat the warranty.

Edited by RIPB.88

I forgot to add, the bds kit is 4 springs 2 camber bolts to replace upper strut bolt a lifetime warranty and the front springs are larger at the bottom in diameter than the top but so are stock springs

• Like 1

I forgot to add, the bds kit is 4 springs 2 camber bolts to replace upper strut bolt a lifetime warranty and the front springs are larger at the bottom in diameter than the top but so are stock springs

Excellent news! In that case I won't need to contact BDS, thanks! I too am interested as to how they perform vs. stock in terms of stiffness.

Okay so I'm going to order the springs as soon as I get home today, along with kyb front struts, manual hubs, rear shocks, and possibly some 2" wheel spacers as well. What rear shocks do you guys reccomend with a 2" lift? Also should I replace the strut top hat and bearings as well?

• Like 1

With just 2" in rear stock length KYBs will work.

I would recommend changing the bearings for sure. My stock rubber tops were in perfect shape and heavier than the replacements so I reused them.

Edited by LittleFR

• 3 weeks later...

Well the lift seems to have disappeared from BDS's website. Bummer. I'm just gonna end up going with the AC springs and KYB struts and shocks, along with Warn hubs. I'm also thinking about getting one of fleury's spacers from sfcreation.com (just 1") to go in the front to keep it level after the springs settle. It got me thinking: what if I combined the max spacer lift (2.5" front and 3" rear) with the AC coils to get high enough to clear 35's? I doubt it would be possible or safe to do without a subframe and panhard drop, along with longer brake lines, most of which I can't afford or don't have the means to do. What do you guys think? I'll probably stick with the AC coils and the 1" front spacer.

Technically your suspension will not be able to extend beyond the limits of the CV's, but at ride height they would be at a very steep angle, which would cause them to break very easily. You'd also have a hell of a time correcting the camber. 1" spacer should be fine, but 2" would be a mess.