Tune up 1995?

KILLANOLA

Hi,

I'm having a slight bucking in the low gears mostly when it's first run for the day. When I get to 4 and 5th it's fine. I guess I need a tune up? Is there a thread on this already for 1995 pathfinder XE V6. I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was the last time you did a tune up? Not hard to do and not pocket burning.

I don't think it's been done. I'm kinda a novice when it comes to cars. 3 of the plugs look easy to get to but the other 3? Not so easy?

1, 3, and 5 are real easy to get to (those are the ones you can see). 2 and 4 aren't too bad. 6 can be a real pain. If you happen to have the factory tool kit, the included spark plug tool is supposed to work pretty well on 6, but I haven't tried that--a couple extenders and a U joint have always been enough for me. Getting it to thread back in is harder than getting it out. Not rocket surgery, just fiddly.

Check your MAF sensor while you're at it, when they get dirty you get mixture issues. Not too hard to clean if you're careful about it. You can get MAF cleaner in a can, but I cleaned mine with denatured alcohol and the corner of a rag and it went fine. Just don't use any cleaner that'll leave a residue and treat those filaments like they're made of glass.

1, 3, and 5 are real easy to get to (those are the ones you can see). 2 and 4 aren't too bad. 6 can be a real pain. If you happen to have the factory tool kit, the included spark plug tool is supposed to work pretty well on 6, but I haven't tried that--a couple extenders and a U joint have always been enough for me. Getting it to thread back in is harder than getting it out. Not rocket surgery, just fiddly.

Check your MAF sensor while you're at it, when they get dirty you get mixture issues. Not too hard to clean if you're careful about it. You can get MAF cleaner in a can, but I cleaned mine with denatured alcohol and the corner of a rag and it went fine. Just don't use any cleaner that'll leave a residue and treat those filaments like they're made of glass.

I did clean the MAF sensor. It definitely made the car run better but I'm still having the slight bucking on excelloration. I don't have the factory kit unfortunately.

Couple extenders and a U joint it is then! Might take a little screwing around to find the right combination and to find the plug itself (hard to see back there) but it's entirely doable.

I guess I should start with the 6 plug since it's the hardest?

Once you find the right combo of extensions it's not too bad. Clean the plug wells before you pull the plugs. They're usually full of crud. New plugs should seat all the way by hand. The ratchet should only be needed to get them tight. If they're going in rough you can make a thread chase out of the old plugs with a hack saw. Cut perpendicular to the threads until you have a decent flute, then wipe some grease or motor oil on the threads. Run the chase in and out by hand a few times, making sure to clean it out every few runs.

j1UYeTC.jpg

• Like 1

Don't let the 6th plug scare you. Is it a pain, yes however when you get used to it, it actually becomes quite easy to change. I believe I have a 6"extention as well that I always used to change it and never needed a u joint. It works quite well but a u joint is easier on your knuckles hitting the fire wall.

I like that idea with an old spark plug, I have a few laying about I might have to use one for that

Thread chaser's not a bad idea. Just make sure you have it in straight!

And +1 for cleaning the wells. I actually took the intake off when I got mine and cleaned those out because they were full of rat crap. Nissan went to all the trouble of designing the plug wells so they'd drain and then couldn't be bothered to clean out the casting flash that keeps the wells from draining!