03 Pathfinder starting issue.

indyqx4

Hey guys,

My 03 pathfinder SE recently is struggling to start in the morning, or anytime it sits for 6-8hr. Once started, all is great and runs and re-starts as normal. I recently replaced the battery as it is cold here in Indiana and it came with the truck when I bought anyway (used). Battery was no help.

I do have to give it some gas to get it to stay running when cranking, so this leads me to believe its fuel delivery..

Anyone had a similar issue or have any suggestions on where I should start?

Thank you in advance!

Pic for fun.

519e23cd02fe821463b2883ca7ff3c1b.jpg

cam sensors and crank sensors have to do with it there are two cam sensors and one crank sensor I got some cheap off of Amazon I think I paid less than 75 dollars for all 3 of them original Nissan parts too. Is check engine light is coming on?

Cam or Crank sensors would set a code.

cleaning MAF could help...but only for the issue where you have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running.

If it's having trouble starting, it's pretty easy to tell if it's struggling to turn the engine over strong enough, or it's just having trouble lighting it up.

Is it cranking slowly, or labored? If so, it's batter/starter-even if you just got a new battery.

If it's cranking fast, but won't catch...not sure what to check there, maybe MAF, but not sure how much it relies on the MAF sensor during cranking.

Seems to crank fine. I was curious if maybe the new battery still wasn't sufficient. Have to pump the throttle to get it to stay started on colder days. Otherwise once started it's great.

No check engine lights.

Truck runs great... just started doing this, this winter. Maybe I will exchange battery and see.

Just a thought, did you clean the inside of the terminals for the battery? Depending on how the cable looks, you may need to cut off an inch or two of the cables and put new terminals on.

+1 on throttle body cleaning. I used Sea Foam spray to clean mine thoroughly and my rough start/no start issues went away completely. My symptoms were: 1) Cranking for a while before it finally started and 2) Cranked and started but ran rough for two seconds before running smooth.

Edited by Xourque