A new sound...

So I noticed a faint high pitched buzzing coming from my transfer case about a month ago. I chalked it up to the ps pump whining from low oil but today, half way thru Charlie's Creek, I can clearly hear the sound of a DC motor making noise. Now I'm not %100 sure it's the tc motor, maybe I'm wrong!

Here is what's happening:

::IN DRIVE::

I switch the tc selector from "2wd" to "auto".

-no sound and normal operation

I switch the tc selector from "auto" to "lock"

-a whining sound comes from the tc

::IN PARK/NEUTRAL::

I switch the tc selector from "2wd" to "auto".

I switch the tc selector from "auto" to "lock"

I select DRIVE

-in about one second the sound fades in

I select PARK/NEUTRAL

-the sound stops immediately

Apparently I have the stupid atx14... but I have an entire spare sitting in my storage building from my previous trans install.

So what do you guys think? What more testing shall I perform? Has anyone ever changed the tc motor before?

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to supply power to the tc motor and confirm the noise is in fact coming from the motor.

4743be8ae112224555ea382def5d6781.jpg

So my new question is, has anyone else noticed a noise coming from that motor at low engine RPM and idle while in 4wd? It's not particularly loud or "rough" sounding, just a whining sound.. like a winch but softer..

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

@onespiritbrain   Did you ever figure out this issue's cause i no its an old thread but having this issue after driving up very steep incline at low speed maybe you can give me some insight to where to look ''fingers crossed'' never heard it ever b4 this also im getting 4WD service light in 4lo as well as the ATP light when in park in 4low but its actually in 4low and not neutral like the atp light suggest Auto aswell as 4hi work fine and dandy besides that noise that you speak of yet to check the consult II codes or Can anyone at all help that had this problem every fourm thats simular have no replys

7 hours ago, cjc123 said:

@onespiritbrain   Did you ever figure out this issue's cause i no its an old thread but having this issue after driving up very steep incline at low speed maybe you can give me some insight to where to look ''fingers crossed'' never heard it ever b4 this also im getting 4WD service light in 4lo as well as the ATP light when in park in 4low but its actually in 4low and not neutral like the atp light suggest Auto aswell as 4hi work fine and dandy besides that noise that you speak of yet to check the consult II codes or Can anyone at all help that had this problem every fourm thats simular have no replys

have you changed the fluid?

i have not yet it it just started yesterday ill have to try that iv owned the truck 2 year daily driven never had this sound and i have the exact same symptoms as original poster