Power locks open up by themselves...1995 Pathfinder XE

wd21fan

Hi all,

I tried the search on the forum but could not find a similar thread. If you know/find another thread with similar issue, please point me in that direction.

My 1995 XE had no issues with power locks but couple of weeks back I have noticed that the locks sometimes open up by themselves.

I tried locking all rear doors, passenger doors and driver door manually pushing down the locks & the doors lock. But sometimes, I find that they open up themselves (all of them) without me unlocking or anything. I also noticed that when I am pushing down the locks, two of the locks (passenger right and rear right) seem to have some sort of upward pressure when I am pushing it down.

So not sure what I could do, is this also related to the lock timer that I have read about in other threads? Any advice?

Thanks

I simply disabled mine since I'm the only person who is in my truck 999999 times out of 1000000..... I suppose that it's an electrical ground issue since that is a very common ( sic! ) fault with the electrical systems on the truck but I have yet to look into it. The weather is deep winter here in Canada so ya don't go out to look around for electrical faults at -10 C. It's too damn cold for that!

Lock timer related. Common issue which I need to fix too

Thank you Cuong. For some reason I thought that a faulty lock timer would close the locks down; still trying to understand how the lock timer opens them up by itself.

I simply disabled mine since I'm the only person who is in my truck 999999 times out of 1000000..... I suppose that it's an electrical ground issue since that is a very common ( sic! ) fault with the electrical systems on the truck but I have yet to look into it. The weather is deep winter here in Canada so ya don't go out to look around for electrical faults at -10 C. It's too damn cold for that!

Thank you SpecialWarr; how can I disable the lock timer and where is it located?

Thanks.

Yes, certainly is a very common issue with these doing this. On both of my 1995 XE's my door locks would unlock & lock at any random time by themselves also seemed to happen the most in cold weather more then hot weather. Changing out the front driver side control switch panel in the door arm rest fixed the issue in one of my 95's. This fix did not solve it for me in my other 95 though & the door locks still have a mind of their own & lock & unlock by themselves when they feel the need. May be something to look into on yours as well plus very inexpensive to change that out with a different one I believe I have an extra one or 2 of them for a 95 XE still here at the house now that I think about it.if you wanted to see if that solves the issue on your 95 XE.

The lock timer's in the driver's rear corner panel. It's a little box with a sticker that says lock timer on it. Redoing some solder joints on the door lock timer in my '95 seemed to calm it down a little but the locks were still funky, probably in part because I was an idiot and blew a bunch of graphite into the driver's door when I was trying to unstick the lock. I would be trying to unlock it with the key and fighting against the door lock actuator trying to lock the door while I tried to unlock it... not what you want. The locks in my current rig are less crazy but do like to lock themselves, especially if I've just unlocked it and someone tries to open the passenger's door. It's definitely worse when cold, and it's one of those things where I don't fix it because it's cold out, and when it's warm out, it doesn't act up, so I don't fix it then either. My best guess is the contacts behind the lock or in the actuator aren't in the best of shape.

The only time the doors are supposed to unlock without you telling them to is if you lock the doors with the key in the ignition.

Mine did what slartibartfast's do. And through 2 pathys it was always the passenger door causing the problem. The timer can be an issue too. But I ended up taking both front door panels off, cleaning the @!*% out of everything, and then lubing it all up. The locks have some sort of magnet sensor that tells it to unlock the rest when you turn the key twice. Maybe there was @!*% all over it, I don't know, but now the lock goes up all the way every time, and no more passengers locking the doors when they open it.

Had the same issue in my '95. Unplugging the door lock timer (inside driver's side quarter panel) has been the only way to alleviate the problem. Besides continually locking the doors (and draining the battery if not driven in a couple days), the rear passenger side door lock would seize.