NOOB STARTING LIFT...anything I need to know before i start?

Gusthebus

I'm starting to lift my 2000 PF. 2.5" front and 2" rear lift spacers. Also replacing old worn out springs with Moog stock replacements. I ordered some 1.5" wheel spacers for the front in hopes that I won't actually need them. Mounting 265/75R16 Falken Wildpeak AT tires. Already have the rear tires mounted on the old stock suspension( They sqeeze in but there is a slight rub when hitting bigger bumps at speed). There is no way they'll fit up front w/o making some room.

I'll be starting with the rear this evening. Are there any surprises I need to be aware of? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ryan

Depending on how much stuff you feel like taking off, you may need coil compressors for the rear. Also, pay careful attention to the brake line and diff breather going from the chassis to the axle, kind of obvious but a pain if it comes off and you don't notice. For the front it helps to have a buddy, but it's possible to do alone.

• Like 2

You already have the bigger tires mounted on the rear? If this is a 4wd, that is a bad idea. Do not engage 4wd with different size tires on.

If I misread your post, then ignore this.

• Like 1

You already have the bigger tires mounted on the rear? If this is a 4wd, that is a bad idea. Do not engage 4wd with different size tires on.

Agreed. That's how I read it. Shouldn't do it even if not in 4wd...it'll confused the ABS system.

• Like 1

Agreed. That's how I read it. Shouldn't do it even if not in 4wd...it'll confused the ABS system.

Good point. I was thinking more mechanical, ABS didn't cross my mind.

Unfortunately I don't have a front gear box. But it did trip the abs light. It's not being driven until I'm finished. Got the rear springs and lift spacers on last night. Looks pretty silly right now...stock up front with 2" lift and an extra 2" of tire height on the rear. I'll be finishing the front Friday night and putting on the new tires and alignment Saturday.

Just for my own curiosity;why does the off balance tire size create ABS issues?

And thanks again for your input guys!

Edited by Gusthebus

Gotcha, 2wd.

The difference in tire sizes causes the ABS tone rings at each corner to spin at different rates. The truck expects all of the sensors to be returning the same signal frequency, but the front tires are rotating faster than the rears, and the system believes that your front tires are slipping so can't proportion the brakes properly and throws a code.

• Like 2

You could go the muscle car route. Keep the rake on it and put some smaller tires on the front, big meats on the back. I bet you would get some looks.

• Like 2

You could go the muscle car route. Keep the rake on it and put some smaller tires on the front, big meats on the back. I bet you would get some looks.

Drag radials out back and skinnies up front...that would be interesting on a Pathy! I guess 4x4parts sells 2" lowering coils for a reason...lol!

20170204_155234_zpsajotmdh9.jpg

Not the best pic but can anyone tell me if the camber is out enough to need addressing with camber bolts? It is noticeable to the eye and the last thing i want to do is screw up new tires. would it be worthwhile to go ahead and get the camber bolts? If so, any suggestions on brand/supplier?

As always thanks for your help folks!