Metallic Thudding Sound from Front Drivers Side in 4WD

Oleschool

My 97 has developed a sound in the front end whenever the front wheels lose traction and spin in 4wd.The noise seems to be coming from the drivers side and sounds like two gears slipping over each other.Has anyone has this before?I'm thinking its in the front diff,but am puzzled why its only on one side.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

I would concur, the CV axel is the weakest part in that area. Cant hurt to jack it up and give it a spin to see if you can duplicate the sound(s) and check for any damage to the cv boot. Does it only sound under load? In 2 WD, 4 WD? When turning? I understand why the other kids have gone to "manual hubs"-less wear and tear on the front driveline. One of this year's, warmer month projects for me.

Thanks for the input.Yes it only makes the noise under load and in 4wd.I can put it in 4wd and no noise while I drive until I spin the wheels under power (load).Im going to have a good look this morning.330k and I just put new axles on both sides about a year ago.New bearings too.

I just crawled underneath and with the help of a friend have figured that its the transfer case.We used a paint marker and marked the drive shafts(F& R) and then made the tires spin in 4wd. The marks were immediately out of phase.I'd have to assume that the t-case in this Pathy is chain driven and the chain is slipping when under load.Thanks for the help.Just wanted to post what I found.