97 QX4 Fixer Upper

Mrelcocko

Turning out good! It'll be a nice and clean engine bay when it's all done. Mine's all muddy so I'll be jealous...

Thanks! I enjoy the hell outta stuff like this. I bought the Quey for parts then the planned changed pretty quickly. To good of shape to use for parts.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on cosmetic stuff that I can do to this Quey. I went to my local Pull-A-Part this past weekend which I go there almost every weekend to rob and get parts off Pathfinders/QX4's that are deceased. A 2000 came in on Wednesday so I was thinking about how Nissan changed the headlights on the QX4 starting with the 99 models. I always liked the way the headlights looked on the 99 and 2000 models opposed to the 97 and 98 model QX4's. I got the headlights from Pull A Part which cost me $64 they bolted right up, all I had to do was change the wiring. I cut the factory harness from the 2000 model and wired it on to my 97. Very easy and to me gave it a whole new look.a6bd49eff2c8ccf28b229cb54ed9b17a.jpgb481f895d2aed8b90c372df5c7652f80.jpg

Looks much better! That little change really freshened it up. Looks line the lenses on the old ones were kinda foggy, new ones just look much better. Don't break one, they're expensive.

Looks much better! That little change really freshened it up. Looks line the lenses on the old ones were kinda foggy, new ones just look much better. Don't break one, they're expensive.

The original headlights from the factory are dull looking like the 96 thru 98 pathfinders. It's crazy something so small can make that much of a difference.

Still working on cosmetic stuff that I can do to this Quey. I went to my local Pull-A-Part this past weekend which I go there almost every weekend to rob and get parts off Pathfinders/QX4's that are deceased. A 2000 came in on Wednesday so I was thinking about how Nissan changed the headlights on the QX4 starting with the 99 models. I always liked the way the headlights looked on the 99 and 2000 models opposed to the 97 and 98 model QX4's. I got the headlights from Pull A Part which cost me $64 they bolted right up, all I had to do was change the wiring. I cut the factory harness from the 2000 model and wired it on to my 97. Very easy and to me gave it a whole new look.a6bd49eff2c8ccf28b229cb54ed9b17a.jpgb481f895d2aed8b90c372df5c7652f80.jpg

e2cf04e43b791fef64ecbc54526fd675.jpg

Freshened up the interior and put a new steering wheel on. And yes that is a jacket laying on the dash... LOL!!!!3faea08b254c60d0efb6c88dc77c6fd7.jpg38ba73983a3e1933bca75912eb587fa4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I've had the code P0300 for a while now. Replaced plugs and wires etc... I think a couple of my injectors were bad. I had to replace valve cover gaskets so while I had the upper plenum off decided to change injectors as well. Do i need to change the plugs again even though I changed them prior to replacing injectors? I pulled all the plugs out and there all white. Tried cleaning them but didn't help. So my question is this. I drove a few times on my new plugs before I changed the injectors and I'm thinking where it was running lean it might have screwed my plugs up. Should I change them???

I don't think it will matter, but I am not sure. Good question.

Personally, I would run them unless I was having problems. Do you still have the P0300?

I don't think it will matter, but I am not sure. Good question.

Personally, I would run them unless I was having problems. Do you still have the P0300?

I don't think I've driven it enough for it to throw the code but there's definitely a miss so I'm thinking that after I changed my plugs I drove it a few times and maybe it messed those up. I changed the injectors which was probably my problem to start with but now since I drove it before I change the injectors with those new plugs maybe it messed up those plugs.

Hey guys question here about the trouble I'm having with my Quey. The guy I purchased it from had washed the motor a few months before I got it. He told me it had a miss, but I didn't care cause I was using it as a parts car for my 98 R50. Well I decided to keep it and drive it and cannot for the life of me figure out the problem I'm having. I got rid of the p0300 cel and p0150. After putting in the O2 sensor it was still missing. It threw a code p0304 fixed that. Then it threw the code p0303. Fixed that. It's still missing and just waiting for it to throw the next cel which i know its coming. Also while it's running/missing the lights flicker like crazy, bright dim, bright dim. Anyway I'm beginning to think out of everything I've replaced, distributor, plugs, wires, Injectors,mass flow sensor, O2 sensors, misc hoses, charcoal canister, gaskets for IACV, upper plenum, egr valve,throttle body and whatever else I can't think of its got to be an electrical problem. Can someone please help me out? Maybe the guy fried something from washing the motor. Come on NPORA MEMBERS HELP A BROTHER OUT TO SOLVE MY ISSUE.

3ba3267ef2b4f3eefa0892b1109bc3f1.jpg

If you haven't already, clean all your grounds, especially the major ground points (battery to body, battery to "frame", alternator, engine, etc). I've seen some pretty wonky stuff go away after properly cleaning them up (disconnect, clean terminal ends, check terminal to wire connection for oxidation/corrosion and repair/replace anything looking questionable, clean grounding surface to bare metal, clean hardware, reconnect then seal after tightened), even if they "look good". This is something that is far too often, overlooked, but extremely vital to things working correctly.

Edited by 01Pathmaker
  • Like 2

If you haven't already, clean all your grounds, especially the major ground points (battery to body, battery to "frame", alternator, engine, etc). I've seen some pretty wonky stuff go away after properly cleaning them up (disconnect, clean terminal ends, check terminal to wire connection for oxidation/corrosion and repair/replace anything looking questionable, clean grounding surface to bare metal, clean hardware, reconnect then seal after tightened), even if they "look good". This is something that is far too often, overlooked, but extremely vital to things working correctly.

I know what I'm doing when I get up. Thanks for the help.

So as far as all the grounds to body please point me in the right direction. I cleaned the ground on the alternator from the battery and around the fuse box pass side under hood. I just need help on which ones to look for. I know its a dumb question.

• 3 weeks later...

Cleaning my fuel rail hoping after I install the injectors along with the fuel rail being cleaned it will fix my problems

bab45e84748e513eaeebd33811c9b7cf.jpg

Edited by Mrelcocko

Great news guys, no more P0300! After replacing everything known to man on this problem, here is my conclusion and the solution. Whatever you do don't ever buy an aftermarket distributor for the 3.3L it will not work I promise you. I ended up getting one from Advanced for $230 which was a waste of money and since I've used it I cannot take it back. So what I did was used the parts inside and rebuilt my original distributor which in reality was good the problem was my fuel injectors. She purrs like a kitten now. I'm almost done. I found this wheel and tire at my local pull a part. Now all I need is 3 more. I also took the headlights out of a 2000 model and they fit perfectly. All I had to do was a little bit of wiring. 320216788732ee4042218b2fda3c5c80.jpg8622d088840c4dabd40266c54c4bd640.jpga3aa18f01ea2f9a477ee078788193a01.jpgf56d9ea2142500c1cb82cf639f27e81e.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good man! Glad to hear you finally got it figured out.

Thanks brother. I had read in more than one place on the web that these things hate aftermarket distributors. I was like baloney! Boy was I wrong. Lol

Great news guys, no more P0300! After replacing everything known to man on this problem, here is my conclusion and the solution. Whatever you do don't ever buy an aftermarket distributor for the 3.3L it will not work I promise you.

I was literally nodding and saying yep sounds about right!!!

Took me so long to finally get my 0300 to go away... And that included 3 distributors.... Ending with a Nissan one for 440!

• Like 1

I was literally nodding and saying yep sounds about right!!!

Took me so long to finally get my 0300 to go away... And that included 3 distributors.... Ending with a Nissan one for 440!

Nissan is very proud of their distributors that's for sure. Now I know why I couldn't get it in time.

Nissan is very proud of their distributors that's for sure. Now I know why I couldn't get it in time.

I didn't like paying that much... But i had one that failed in 2500 miles and others that didn't work from the get go... Not to mention plugs, intake leaks, various other sensors, and on and on before that stupid code went away... I still dread CELs because it might be that number that comes up!!! Still have a lean code that pops up ever so often but that's from another part.

• Like 1

I didn't like paying that much... But i had one that failed in 2500 miles and others that didn't work from the get go... Not to mention plugs, intake leaks, various other sensors, and on and on before that stupid code went away... I still dread CELs because it might be that number that comes up!!! Still have a lean code that pops up ever so often but that's from another part.

I bet in all I bought 5 different sets of plugs and wires. I'm a pro replacing the dreaded 6 plug. Every time I removed the plug wires I would either rip the insides out or pull the insides out. Even using grease those suckers are hard to remove. Thank the good Lord it's over with. Until next time. CHEERS!

I bet in all I bought 5 different sets of plugs and wires. I'm a pro replacing the dreaded 6 plug. Every time I removed the plug wires I would either rip the insides out or pull the insides out. Even using grease those suckers are hard to remove. Thank the good Lord it's over with. Until next time. CHEERS!

Dude I'm glad you got it!!! How was rebuilding the distributor? I'd like to do the bearings in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dude I'm glad you got it!!! How was rebuilding the distributor? I'd like to do the bearings in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't have to replace the bearing, just electrical components. No shavings presents and it turned real smooth. 1st remove dust cover (2 screws) 2nd The way I got the silver disc out was this. I took a pair of channel locks with a rag wrapped around the gear held the gear tight, took a phillips screwdriver to break the center screw loose. As far as the electrical using flat headed screwdriver remove 4 screws for the cam sensor and coil. Be careful with the seal. I used a flat head screwdriver on everything but the center with the silver disc I used a Phillips head. If replacing the bearing I'm assuming it would have to be pressed out and then the new one pressed in hope this helps.a42e950d792f07b6e693d31ef0606d14.jpg7eee1341bb1401d639783cd89fda33f0.jpg87fc706594602e55b8d17e9990ea722f.jpg3378277dd9944dbb9f33212ec2e53f3c.jpg