97 QX4 Fixer Upper

Mrelcocko

I was getting 300 and 302. Now I'm getting a 2096 or 420. Not sure which one it is.. I can feel it missing when in drive, stopped, and I let off the brake. Under the bit of power passing through the torque converter at idle I can clearly feel the misses. It's harder to tell when accelerating but there's a clear difference past 3000 rpm. It's like small hesitations and sometimes even slow acceleration pulses until 3000 rpm. It's not timing either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd lean towards the electrics myself. You know you've got fuel. P & N, have no load. Hows the distributor? They're coming up on 20 y/o...wobble, wobble? ?? 2 sense worth :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update. New plugs,wires,distributor,fuel filter, air filter,charcoal canister, and thermostat. Check engine light will come on and go off on its on. Run codes getting P0300 and P0325. Multiple miss fire and Knock sensor. Going to check compression and see if maybe that's the problem. Sometimes it runs great but when coming to stop it starts missing but will clear up. TO BE CONTINUED...........29252b54c7f26752c1f1c3c3892a1da2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Maybe I missed it but was the timing belt ever done? O2 sensors okay? I know sometimes they can throw no codes but cause issues.

Timing belt was replaced at 216k. It has 243k now so should still be good.

Maybe thinking bad or clogged fuel injectors. I read in a Haynes manual that if the battery is not Top Notch it could cause the fuel injectors not to get the sufficient electricity they need to perform to their full potential. Thus could cause a miss in my book. I might be wrong. I had ask that question before but all I got was no a bad battery or a battery that's going bad would not cause a miss. I think it would. Anyway I'm replacing all fuel injectors and replacing valve cover gaskets due to a horrible oil leak and a new battery. Once I'm done hopefully my p0300 cil will be solved. Still haven't checked compression. I just don't think that's the problem. I pulled the valve cover gaskets off and to me the heads look good there very very clean for a vehicle that has 243 thousand miles on it that tells me the guy I bought it from change the oil regularly. To be continued.......6140bdfbb4cffcd4c1185aa15c8dd43c.jpg7d3fdf18c4a561091684a347ae950525.jpgf59c04fb898ba27df6c191da3db661a9.jpg

I agree I think it has something to do with maybe my battery not being Top Notch if you know what I mean it will still start the car which that is possible for Batteries to be bad and still start the vehicle but I totally agree with you on that I think it's the electronics I think it has something to do with the battery

When the vehicle is running, it is the alternator that supports the electronics. If the battery is good enough to start the car, then that's not the problem. Starting is the heaviest load the battery sees, so that is when you will notice a bad battery. Injectors don't take enough amps to be affected by a marginal battery.

• Like 1

My bet would be a weak alternator or bad ground. When a high load, like ac clutch, kicks on, is that when the lights flicker?

You can take the battery and alternator into most auto parts stores, and they should be able to load test them. That will tell you right away which one is bad.

• Like 1

No it happens all the time. Doesn't matter if the a/c is on or off. If I turn one interior light on then walk to the back and turn the back interior light on they flicker. Replaced alternator 2 weeks ago just for @!*%s and giggles and the lights still flicker. When running I checked battery with a volt meter and it's at 13.65 volts. Shouldn't it be around 14.5?

Going to take the alternator and the battery to AutoZone or advance to have them load test will get back to you. Thanks for the help.

My battery is going bad. It's almost 4yrs old so time to replace. When I put this beast back together going to install new battery. Thanks for all the help. I'm in the process of cleaning the upper plenum, installing new injectors and replacing the valve cover gaskets. To be continued.......

Yes it should! If it passes the load test. Check your wires and grounds.

It's possible you got a bad alternator...

I got an alternator from my local pull a part and for @!*%s and giggles I put it on. Same results. No change. I will definitely check my grounds. Thanks!

Decided to paint my valve covers during replacing the gaskets. Giving the top part of the motor a good cleaning doesn't hurt either. Gonna order fuel injectors in the next few weeks. 5b01331e20cd9e175eeae178d90a52b4.jpgaff98618202f162acfee084d6a1f866b.jpg

Decided to paint my valve covers during replacing the gaskets. Giving the top part of the motor a good cleaning doesn't hurt either. Gonna order fuel injectors in the next few weeks. 5b01331e20cd9e175eeae178d90a52b4.jpgaff98618202f162acfee084d6a1f866b.jpg

1f01351e75196ff38c6a119b4fe24515.jpg

What is the hose one the side? DIY breather?

One of the coming steps for me is undercoating everything. I think I'm going to have to just use rust primer though, it'd be too much work to wire wheel everything one mine.

krK6Z2Nh.jpg

Just a taste of what I'm eventually going to try to un-f*ck haha. At least I've made a solid dent in all the structural rust I think. Yours looks really good though, definitely take pride in that

Hey guys needing to know if I need to use RTV sealant for the gasket that goes with my idle air control valve I'm replacing the gasket and I need to know if I should put it on dry or put some RTV on with it. 3.3 VG33E V6 97 QX4

Edited by Mrelcocko

1f01351e75196ff38c6a119b4fe24515.jpg

Finished up with some High Heat clear coat baked them done! Probably could have turned out better but for my first time I don't think it's too bad. They look better than what they did to me.29bd5c7c5a83a90823616f3a4bd610a5.jpg

• Like 2