97 QX4 Fixer Upper

Mrelcocko

• 3 months later...

Finally got me a set of factory Bosch fog lamps for my Quey. Wish I could get the grill guard they attach to but oh well I'll manage. The price for one is $800 so it will have to wait. #97jlr50 932e102c87e40882a95f764394aa4906.jpg

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrelcocko said:

Finally got me a set of factory Bosch fog lamps for my Quey. Wish I could get the grill guard they attach to but oh well I'll manage. The price for one is $800 so it will have to wait. #97jlr50 932e102c87e40882a95f764394aa4906.jpg

Woah, that is super cool!  Was that a part of the Japanese off-road package?

• Like 1

Woah, that is super cool!  Was that a part of the Japanese off-road package?
Yea buddy sure was. There's a grill guard you could get that the lights attached to I'd love to have, but they run around 800bones new not counting shipping. I've never found one used so probably could get one cheaper if I could locate one. I got these from Croober.com a Japanese automotive site that specializes in factory OEM parts and wheels.43125cc451d0ac873ba5f86169a9a298.jpg

• Like 1

Here's one with some Cibie factory fogs attached. I love the matching body color of the grill guard. Cibie or Bosch fogs were the choices when it came to fog light options.76bdb90c6417db53089ebe778c93ad15.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yes sir and a back up mirror thingy that attached where the rear spoiler does. Lol. Whatever its called. Crazy amount of options available overseas. I'd love just to have a .025 of the options they had.

• Like 1

Hey that's my car! The Regulus (QX4 equivalent)!

I'm sure there will be a few wreckers in NZ with that bumper/grill guard combo available. However, they won't be cheap. We get properly shafted for car parts here... 

• Like 2

Hey that's my car! The Regulus (QX4 equivalent)!
I'm sure there will be a few wreckers in NZ with that bumper/grill guard combo available. However, they won't be cheap. We get properly shafted for car parts here... 
Right on! If you come across a grill guard mate keep me in mind please. Dont care about the color one iota.

Yeah man I'd love to have even a portion of those cool Japanese accessories.  Maybe someday when I've made it big I'll have to import a JDM Pathy with those options and a diesel haha

• Like 1

Yeah man I'd love to have even a portion of those cool Japanese accessories.  Maybe someday when I've made it big I'll have to import a JDM Pathy with those options and a diesel haha
Lol, I'll be waiting. That way you can help me out on some of the more expensive items and buy them for me. Lol

• 3 weeks later...
Man this thing is coming along 
Thank you sir. Getting there is half the fun. The other half is the anticipation of getting there. Lol probably didn't make any sense lol

• 3 weeks later...

2 years now restoring the 97 Q fixer upper and I couldn't be more happier. I joined NPORA Jan 2016 and what I know now as opposed to what I knew then is as different as night to day. When I came into the world of my 1st R50 a 98 Pathfinder I had no clue that I would end up finding my passion. I played music for 15 years heard my songs on the radio, idolized John Lennon and played every bar from Nashville across the Cumberland plateau. Met a lot of great people had a ton of crazy nights experiencing the good bad and the ugly. But the feeling I get from working on my R50 and enjoying every minute of it, playing rockin roll didn't compare. Thank you Nissan for building one hell of an automobile and thanks to everyone of you all that helped me out along the way. Im not done yet. Hopefully i can get this beast a paint job sooooon. #r50obsessed #97jlr50 #infinitinorthamerica e7bb5e7ea36238c487800db8e7f8d0c5.jpg09255534354c83f6e1ba5f1eb4e0efcf.jpg9a8d1a0902d5a9017b7e845ed4860e51.jpgc9cbaa09e41da910da91e42a9e93e57e.jpgccd556a6d00370c062acc29b96a0f09d.jpg264d55fd123930d9bc33102d71211174.jpg7964ed50ad38171831bc88c42831e419.jpgcd998411ba5d6f2997fe345309673979.jpg8a170037664703ad2ec9c9e592dfa3a2.jpgd293ecce8b2bb21dbdcd22fcbf0e2ad9.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

East Tennessee Saturday night with my girls. Damn i love my R50's #97fixerupper #96fixerupper6f0aa5a82444e5e0042962d51edb4aa4.jpg

• 2 months later...

So im still at it with my 97 QX4 fixer upper. Back in December / January I had my front seat belts changed out under warranty from Infiniti. While they had it they performed the strut Tower recall finding everything was a okay. Fast forward to the present moment and once a year I undercoat the entire underside of vehicle. While undercoating the driver side I noticed the All Too Well raised and Flaky metal. So I took my scraper and went to town and here's what happened. Going by the recall campaign guidelines this should be repairable but what makes me angry is a level 2 repair should have been done while they had it for the seatbelts 6 1/2 to 7 months ago clearly the technician didn't want to fix it so I called infiniti North America talked to them they told me to call the dealership have them bring it back in and fix it even though the recall had been performed on it I told them the rust didn't just appear within the past six and a half months it was there when they were doing the seatbelts so more less they told me they had my back. In my opinion this is clearly a level 2 repair and should have had a bracket put on to start with. The sad thing is I gave them kudos for treating me like a longtime customer who had just bought a new car. So like the Jimmy Buffett song "Come Monday" I'm supposed to call the service manager and get everything straightened out and set up an appointment. TO BE CONTINUED........
66309eed66f05c364fb15a4497db8131.jpg55055c62ba3da4de9c40e6b887c270d4.jpg43f901a6fc2018c04b06e5933fa7ff7a.jpg

• Sad 1

About a month ago I also discovered this same rust area on mine. The passenger wheel well is perfect and only the driver side showed this. I just ordered a bondo fiberglass repair kit and patched it myself (couldn’t find patch photo) Although not a substitute for metal, it is rock hard and works well. I am probably going to weld a piece of sheet metal on inner side by steering shaft.

36886dce12a93cdbad27d106443af3f1.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO9NOO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SEVmDb7ZP6W4W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really unfortunate! I'm surprised you're having this issue as far south as Tennessee!
No doubt. Its entire life has been right here in the volunteer state. In the past 22 years i can only remember 1 maybe 2 instances were we had significant amounts of snow. Many times its been forecasted sending everyone in a stupor for milk, bread and eggs but nothing happened. We usually get blanketed here and there, but thats rare. Monday im calling Harper Infiniti and there going to fix this or "I'm burning the place down"! Not really, but ill definitely show my a$$. Lol!!!!

• Like 2

No doubt. Its entire life has been right here in the volunteer state. In the past 22 years i can only remember 1 maybe 2 instances were we had significant amounts of snow. Many times its been forecasted sending everyone in a stupor for milk, bread and eggs but nothing happened. We usually get blanketed here and there, but thats rare. Monday im calling Harper Infiniti and there going to fix this or "I'm burning the place down"! Not really, but ill definitely show my a$$. Lol!!!!

I think it definitely has to do with abs sensor bracket holding crud and accelerating corrosion in that exact spot

21 hours ago, R50JR said:

I think it definitely has to do with abs sensor bracket holding crud and accelerating corrosion in that exact spot

That does seem to be a poorly placed bracket.  My theory is heat cycles from the cats/manifolds on the other side. Apparently this causes frame issues on old Explorers. I'm sure it's an unfortunate culmination of lots of things. I wonder if anybody from the southwest has had strut tower issues? I can't imagine just salt/snow is to blame, or else lots of other parts of the vehicle where it could collect should be showing rust.

• Like 1