97 QX4 Fixer Upper

Mrelcocko

Great news guys, no more P0300! After replacing everything known to man on this problem, here is my conclusion and the solution. Whatever you do don't ever buy an aftermarket distributor for the 3.3L it will not work I promise you. I ended up getting one from Advanced for $230 which was a waste of money and since I've used it I cannot take it back. So what I did was used the parts inside and rebuilt my original distributor which in reality was good the problem was my fuel injectors. She purrs like a kitten now. I'm almost done. I found this wheel and tire at my local pull a part. Now all I need is 3 more. I also took the headlights out of a 2000 model and they fit perfectly. All I had to do was a little bit of wiring. 320216788732ee4042218b2fda3c5c80.jpg8622d088840c4dabd40266c54c4bd640.jpga3aa18f01ea2f9a477ee078788193a01.jpgf56d9ea2142500c1cb82cf639f27e81e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I'm curious wether or not those marker lights would fit with my headlights. They look really awesome.

• Like 1

I'm curious wether or not those marker lights would fit with my headlights. They look really awesome.

I'm pretty sure they would.

• Like 1

I have two sets of the ones from a 2002 if you're interested. They look a little different but are the same shape I think.

I don't think it's the same. I already know the facelift marker lights won't fit, I'm just looking for the specific ones that have a little black in them like this.

7a6f1d18a219c21d4b0a43c6456096de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, I thought you said fog lights for some reason. Don't have those. I don't think they'll fit unfortunately, as the shape of the QX4 fender is different to compensate for the different shape of the marker lights. (They slope back.)

I don't think it's the same. I already know the facelift marker lights won't fit, I'm just looking for the specific ones that have a little black in them like this.

7a6f1d18a219c21d4b0a43c6456096de.jpg

I'm pretty sure the marker lights will work up until 2000 models anything after that no they won't. I'm not a 100% sure

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the marker lights will work up until 2000 models anything after that no they won't. I'm not a 100% sure

The lights come apart and maybe you can paint the inside black. Just the black strip your talking about.

The check engine light came on, ran the codes. Got a p1441 Vacuum cut valve. Before the check engine light I noticed I would smell gas after stopping the vehicle and getting out it was a very faint smell of gas. Looked online and a vacuum cut valve was about 50 bucks that was the cheap one. Called the local auto parts stores their prices for a vacuum cut valve 90 bucks. That's ridiculous in my book. It's a little piece of plastic that has 4 hoses connected to it. Went to my local Pull A Part got one for five bucks. I bought 2. I got one off an Xterra and another one off of an 02 QX4 just in case I broke one installing it. No more check engine light and no more gas smell. Another job completed:)

The lights come apart and maybe you can paint the inside black. Just the black strip your talking about.

204c579feb9e6c8ec20a44991205a77e.jpg

Hey guys back again. After installing a factory distributor it got rid of my p0300 code. Great right? Well maybe somewhat. Now during acceleration I feel the engine surging. On flat ground not so noticeable, but under a load or uphill and it's like driving miss daisy. While accelerating I can clearly see the tach needle surge. At idle i feel and hear a slight miss but no CIL. During acceleration I don't feel a miss just lacking power and takes forever to get up to speed. Please help!!!

THAT sounds like no distributor vacuum advance. I may be talking out of my butt (correct me if I'm wrong) but the distributor needs to be mechanically advanced when you put ur foot into it, ie: vacuum to suck the diaphragm and move the dist base plate, in turn advancing the spark timing. If you have no vacuum advance, any acceleration relies on the weights on the base plate to do any advancing and THAT'S painfully slow.

Does it behave that way in P or N? W/the 3.3, ur still dealing a w/vacuum controlled engine. 3.5(w/I got)is ALL electronic. Different beast entirely.

Get/borrow a simple vacuum guage-most are even marked "Vacuum Leak"(mine is) & see what it says. The other test is: remove cap/rotor, plug a long enough piece of vac hose to the vacuum diaphragm, while looking at the dist base plate, suck on the hose and see if the base plate turns slightly. If it don't, either the diaphragm/rod/plate are the problem (maybe check ur old one 1st.

Lemme know what you find.

Cheers, V

• Like 1

No vacuum advance. All controlled by computer. Thanks anyway though my friend. Come to find out had a vacuum leak. A bad hose.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys back again. I got this QX4 back in January and have a lot of sweat invested in it. Finally got rid of the P0300 after chasing the issue it came to be the distributor. Well now here is my problem. This thing runs absolutely perfect other than the fact the SES/CEL comes on for a few driving cycles then goes off and comes back on again. So it comes off and on. Ran the codes and getting the P0300 again. Right now the CEL IS OFF! Does anybody know why this is occurring? Like I said the car runs great it's just the check engine light will come on and go off on its own.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys back again and still continuing to add stuff here and there. I didn't like the way the driver side window switch lit up, way too dim at night time. Making it really hard to see. Every time I'd roll the window down at night I would always hit the back passenger door switch on the drivers side. So to match every other switch I have in the vehicle I decided to install a red LED to brighten things up. Now I won't have a problem finding the switch. I also installed yellow fog lights but ended up taking them back out and installing some bigger ones. They really go good with the car in my opinion. I used a genuine Nissan relay for the wiring on the fog lights and made my own bracket so I could make it look as close to factory as possible. I also put a set of factory 17inch wheels on it. I guess I can say it's complete, but of course I'm never satisfied so I'm sure there will be more to come.

Here's a list of the updates. Steering wheel from an i30, headlights from a 2000 Quey,taillights from a 03 Pathy, wheels from an 01 Quey, fixed antenna,replaced rear pass side quarter glass,distributor,plugs,wires,thermostat,ball joints,upper and lower control arms,shocks,stabilizer bushings front and back, stabilizer links front and back, fixed rusted out step rails with some from a 99 quey,installed factory hitch,LED lighting behind guages,shifter and in all switches,refurbished roof rails, marker lights,fog lights and blinker lights,3 layers of undercoating front to back,new exhaust from cats to back,exhaust heat shield pass side, o2 sensor upstream pass side,replaced vacuum cut bypass valve,purchased new key fobs and new throttle body boot. I don't think I left out anything. For a 20 year old vehicle it still turns heads and thats exactly what I wanted to do when I bought it. I acquired this 97 Quey on January 4th 2017. It's taken me eight months exactly to do what I wanted to do. I love my Nissans! Rock on Peeps!

6f0de505fc726d21399ab3d2229cd693.jpg41b95b2ca718ac920d5d8bbcaea8fe66.jpg763e68e36e4065a5298bcdae053101f5.jpg5ad4b712bca4ba3fce216d9c22fae690.jpg8cedaf3ccb711db6cefe89028cc84959.jpg5c997fff7bcae1ba440d1c22dffee0da.jpgba7e37f96b17d5c46c116bc9b67aa195.jpg9510f7a0425a7cff516ba5f270a7f65d.jpg811ccab39987ca35bccea9c1c12133bf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY COMPLETE! I respect the guys that go off-road. Kudos! I don't do that. I'm more of a cosmetic kinda guy. Here's my 97 Quey. It's been 8 months since I got her and with it came a lot happy times and pist off times, but we made it through. Hope you guys like my ride and the upgrades I did. I love the R50's Jr50'sd2c51418c7117f796b7e2816b118207f.jpgaa8eb7732101f5fec08f86d8fb2ba525.jpg36be217023c465248dd6d85956a5bb2c.jpgeec9de73b238868b04075ba0a422bbec.jpgc95802bc6fecb44b90d5fb1d18e20672.jpg31e0d68a3d4c7a8bebc1207e403ae2f6.jpg5562befbbbcc44fc9daa4a6efcabcbee.jpgdd4780e6099f50c76fa8414c17ae2499.jpg399534353a2dedc7c9d8d7e1e4e94074.jpg

Sent from my Z836BL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Funny brother.

Mine is many multiple millions of times dirtier than that.. it’s basically just a big ball of dirt rolling down the road.

Mr Cox R50

I don't think all those pieces match a 97 QX4. I know those roof rack bars are from the 99.5 and up QX4, I snagged a set myself from pull-a-part. I don't think those door plates are 97 OE either, but I like them. I wish I knew what they were from. I need to do that on mine!

I think you've got a bargain. For $500 anything that cranks and runs is good. My AC is out and I'll have to pay more than that to repair it I'm afraid.... That's why I don't have AC.

Good job dude!

Maybe you can share some detail on all these LED lights your changing. I'd like to do that, but I am not handy with a soldering iron. That's a skill I haven't mastered.

Replacing the axle and such is easy. I did that with hand tools in my garage. Do you have a FSM?

Edited by AlabamaDan
  • Like 1

I don't think all those pieces match a 97 QX4. I know those roof rack bars are from the 99.5 and up QX4, I snagged a set myself from pull-a-part. I don't think those door plates are 97 OE either, but I like them. I wish I knew what they were from. I need to do that on mine!

I think you've got a bargain. For $500 anything that cranks and runs is good. My AC is out and I'll have to pay more than that to repair it I'm afraid.... That's why I don't have AC.

Good job dude!

Yeah I went to pull a part and got the roof racks you're right and also the door plates came off of a 2001 QX4 that's when they started putting the door plates on them. The roof racks I like them better because they're taller and if you want to you can put a light bar underneath it. I done that on my 98 pathfinder I used to have.a1904e9ef6814ff88c2418cfe9993df3.jpg75fe71caf83fc43d0f6dacedcb2f771d.jpg3b924e3d5714f3c9773f567631bb054a.jpg

Mr Cox R50

Sometimes my lights will flicker. Interior as well if on. Headlights and fog lights. What would cause that?

I have that problem too! My interior and exterior lights flash sometimes, makes the radio speakers go out on one side, and some of the dummy lights on the dash flash. It doesn't affect the engine performance or driving. It may happen a regularly for a while and then won't happen at all for a while. Sound familiar?

Maybe have your alternator checked to see if it's performing like it should

I have that problem too! My interior and exterior lights flash sometimes, makes the radio speakers go out on one side, and some of the dummy lights on the dash flash. It doesn't affect the engine performance or driving. It may happen a regularly for a while and then won't happen at all for a while. Sound familiar?

Mr Cox R50