Looking at a 02 xterra

thorpe991

So about 2 years ago i picked up a 97 pathfinder an joined this incredible community here at npora you guys helped me with alot an after i was told it was going to cost more than what my pathy was worth to fix its evap issue i took it off the road an used it as a mud toy. Now after 2 failed chevys im looking at getting back into a nissan suv. I found a 02 xterra with 109xxx mile for $1850US the body is pretty much rust free but has a dent of the passenger fender. That dosent bug me what dose is the onwer told me the steering pump whines when its cold out an it has a tick by the exhaust. From what iv resaerched its prolly a cracked header. Is there anything else i should watch for when i go to look at it an test drive it. It has the 3.3v6 an auto trans.

Will the manifolds from the pathys 3.3 fit the xterra?

For a lil under 2 grand at 109xxx miles i dont see ot not being a good deal but i dont want to get stuck with another toy in a year.

If it's auto check the fluid for the milkshake. If it's good make sure to install a new trans cooler and bypass the radiator. I'm not sure if the 02 has that problem but better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an 01 vg33 Frontier and it ticked fairly loud at the passenger exhaust manifold. It had an exhaust leak at the first flange, or so I thought. It would overheat sitting in a drive thru on a hot summer day with the AC on... maybe it was a seeping head gasket... hmmm.. Anyway I'd ask the guy if he has ever seen it over heat. If he says yes for any reason decline the vehicle. If not, unscrew the radiator reservoir and stick your nose down in it. If it smells like exhaust, decline that puppy. Or best yet, take the vehicle for a spin and pull over somewhere and run the engine at 4000rpms for about 2-3min, then check the reservoir for vapor/smoke and exhaust fumes. It you see oil or smell oil/gas/exhaust in the coolant reservoir, decline the vehicle. I'm sure I don't need to say it but DO NOT open the radiator cap, ONLY the white plastic coolant reservoir.

The whining pump in very cold weather can be remedied by playing around with slightly thinner hydraulic oil. I'd try ISO 46 or even ISO 32. Maybe mix a quart of ISO 32 and a quart of dextron trans fluid.

If it's auto check the fluid for the milkshake. If it's good make sure to install a new trans cooler and bypass the radiator. I'm not sure if the 02 has that problem but better safe than sorry.

Not a problem on this truck. That started with MY05 trucks.

• Like 1

Not a problem on this truck. That started with MY05 trucks.

Okay. I know it was a big issue and I did the trans cooler on my parents 07 xterra just figure I'd bring it up.

Okay. I know it was a big issue and I did the trans cooler on my parents 07 xterra just figure I'd bring it up.

Yep, it was a big issue, just for a different engine.

@thorpe991: That seems like a pretty solid price, and those problems listed seem pretty trivial. There are definitely some upgrades available for it. Any issues with the title? Has the timing belt been serviced? Do you have an OBD scanner that you can use to check for any stored codes, or to confirm that it has passed its Readiness Tests (assuming that a clever seller hasn't recently reset them, or pulled the SES bulb)?

Well that one got sold out from under me but thanks for the responses. I did find a 01 xterra with no issues so ill update ypu guys when i look at it tomarrow or monday