Fuel odor and bad mileage

Bladesz

So I'm trying to track down a problem on my 95 pathy. When I start the vehicle and while it cold ( sometimes longer) I smell alot of fuel and I'm getting around 12mpg or less. The only thing I have changed on it is I put on some 31s from the factory tire size. When I take off my fuel cap I don't get any noise, I changed my filter but it didn't help much and I've looked at the tank and saw some spots where it looked like fuel was/is leaking. I noticed the vac line to the purge valve was corroded so I dosed that but im wondering what else I can do to try to solve this issue.

Actually leaking on the ground, or you just smell it? Smell it in the cab, or when you are outside?

When you start a vehicle cold, especially older ones, it is normal to smell fuel from the exhaust for a short time. Is it more then that?

You might need a tune-up to improve your mileage.

Actually leaking on the ground, or you just smell it? Smell it in the cab, or when you are outside?

When you start a vehicle cold, especially older ones, it is normal to smell fuel from the exhaust for a short time. Is it more then that?

You might need a tune-up to improve your mileage.

My 94 has almost half a million km on the original motor and I have no fuel smells from anywhere. I'm betting the hoses at the fuel rail just need the host clamps tightened. If in doubt, replaced the lines, they are cheap.

When you are cranking over an engine, before it starts, the injectors are still pumping fuel in to the cylinder. Once it starts, not all of the fuel that was pumped in gets burned, so you generally get a slight unburned fuel smell out of the exhaust. I have smelled it on brand new vehicles sitting on the lot. I may have an over sensitive nose though.

When I say short time in the previous post, I mean like 15 secs or so, just long enough for that initial fuel to clear the exhaust.

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't solved this issue yet, check the fuel line that connects the two fuel rails. It's located right behind/under the distributor at the front of the engine; this leak is common on wd21s. I recently had the same problem so tightened up the clamps; no more leaking and no more smell!