Weird shuddering problem while accelerating.

Cornpone99

1997 manual 3.3

Everything has been fine till the other day.

I had less than 1/4 tank of gas.

Engine was idling weird.

While accelerating in first and second truck was jerking like someone was switching the gas on and off.

In 3rd gear under very mild throttle pressure. Every thing was fine.

I filled up the tank, problem continued.

Next day I drive it 10 miles and no problems and the check engine light is not on.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a fresh fuel filter? I had something similar happen to my 1990 and 1996 Maxima and it was a failed fuel injector. The 1996 Maxima eventually did throw a misfire trouble code.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

When my clutch went bad it would just rev up to like 3k rpm when i was doing 45 in 5th, there was no shuttering. Has your clutch been slipping at all?

at this point it could be anything, not enough air, wrong air reading not enough fuel and so on. Usually fuel pumps run worse when they warm up, so that could account for the 10 miles with no issue. Or the infamous temp sensor went bad. Fuel pressure, bad sensor for temp, or clogged fuel line. a couple of basic tools and a little research can help you trouble shoot the problem.

Pat

I would start with checking for a rats nest in air filter then change fuel filter. It may rev with no load (not needing as much fuel) or have trash settle in it and flow fine for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Well issue has not repeated itself

Clutch is not that old. Just replace plugs wires distributor and fuel filter. Also just put on flurey's skid plates awesome!

Going to drive it for a while and see what happens8f4b177efc7a1d9929dec0bbe9448bfc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So the bucking and jerking came back. This time it through a code. Crankshaft posisition sensor. Replaced that, but it did not solve the problem. Did some more online research. I pulled the distributor out. It spun weird and metal shavings came out. I have a good feeling this may be it. Parts come in this weekend. We will soon see

• 3 weeks later...

Well this took a long time. I ordered a new distributor from Amazon. Save yourself the hastle and don't do what I did.

This distributor fixed the bucking issue but a new one surfaced. It seemed to go into limp mode until warmed up. I also noticed the timing marks jumping around. So I pulled that one and got one form The auto parts store. The problem is now fixed. I hope I can save someone the hastle I went through, atleast I was never stranded.

• 4 months later...

Well this took a long time. I ordered a new distributor from Amazon. Save yourself the hastle and don't do what I did.

This distributor fixed the bucking issue but a new one surfaced. It seemed to go into limp mode until warmed up. I also noticed the timing marks jumping around. So I pulled that one and got one form The auto parts store. The problem is now fixed. I hope I can save someone the hastle I went through, atleast I was never stranded.

I'm curious if your Pathfinder is still running good?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk