Nube,, ? of the day...is there a fix for cracked exhaust mani?

Jayhawk1986

Apologies in advance..my '91 SE has a cracked exhaust manifold..I hear it every morning..I am not qualified nor do I have the tools to replace it..with the hope that the bolts will come off without a challenge (told you I was a nube)..Is there any solution or can I expect to get 'bent over'...how much?

Suggestions are most welcome..commentary-of course.

Thanks in advance,

Jayhawk

The noise your probably hearing is an exhaust leak from broken exhaust studs the VG30 in your pathfinder is extremely prone to this due to small weak studs and many many many members here have been through this ordeal. Myself included. Search around and you can find alot of write ups on how to repair this, or others that have had it done at a shop. The manifold/s could be cracked but more likely broken studs. And when you take it apart more will break, so be prepared. Here is how I tackled it. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35321-photos-of-my-front-end-overhaull/

I've got a broken stud that I'm gearing up to replace, either once spring comes around or once my dad's hot rod is together enough to give up its spot in the shop for a while. I can see mine just by looking at the manifold, there's one hole that just plain doesn't have a stud sticking out of it. They can be kinda hard to see around the heat shields, though.

My dad had the same problem on one of his WDs and told the mechanic to cut a hole in the fender wall to get to the studs, then put a rubber bung in it when he was done. Apparently it saved some time. I'm hoping to get mine from above with a cheap 90° drill adapter and some left-handed bits, though if I can get to the stud with the welder, I'll be trying the weld-a-nut-to-it trick first for sure. (Thanks for the writeup Snowboard!)

Yeah probably the studs. I've never really seen a cracked manifold on a pathfinder. Xterra with manifold converters, for sure.

The weld a nut trick is probably the best route. Instead of what some PO's shop did to mine, and now I will need to fill weld the hole with aluminum as the hole was drilled on an angle.