Noise on acceleration - bearing? Water pump?

swedecore

Over the past 1000 miles I have been hearing a whirring/whizzig sound from 1-3k RPM upon acceleration. Video is here ->

I bought my pathy used of a dealer at 130k miles (now at 141k) , had no history so i had him agree to change the crankshaft seals and the timing belt free of charge. I didnt know the water pump should be done then too. Anyways, I have no idea if the previous owner did the timing belt/water pump job.

Do you have an auto or a manual transmission? If it's a manual it could be an input shaft bearing that has gone bad or even something wrong with the clutch.

Have you tried popping the hood and revving it while you're standing there to see if anything stands out? It could be on my end but that almost sounds like a metal on metal whirring noise like a bad bearing would make.

One easy spot to check is your AC idler pulley bearing, if you can wiggle it at all then it's starting to go bad. I've seen them go bad to the point where the pulley itself started rubbing on the bracket behind it and making a similar noise. Another possibility is a failed power steering pump bearing, they make a horrible racket when they go bad.

Does it make any resemblance to the noise just idling or is it only when revving it up?

Sent from inside my potato

Edited by RCWD21

Hmm. Yeah, aircon idler is an easy check, but power steering sounds likely too. If you hold it where it's making noise, let's say 2k, and work the steering, does the noise change?

The nice thing about a V-belt system is that you can remove the drive belts one by one to see which accessory is making the noise (and hopefully it is just an accessory).

I have a manual, the noise persists when revving with the clutch in. The noise exists when idling as well but it is quieter.

I changed all my V belts about 5k miles ago and could have overtightened the ac belt and/or that pulley.

I will take off the belts 1 at a time to try and identify the issue.

Do you have an auto or a manual transmission? If it's a manual it could be an input shaft bearing that has gone bad or even something wrong with the clutch.

Have you tried popping the hood and revving it while you're standing there to see if anything stands out? It could be on my end but that almost sounds like a metal on metal whirring noise like a bad bearing would make.

One easy spot to check is your AC idler pulley bearing, if you can wiggle it at all then it's starting to go bad. I've seen them go bad to the point where the pulley itself started rubbing on the bracket behind it and making a similar noise. Another possibility is a failed power steering pump bearing, they make a horrible racket when they go bad.

Does it make any resemblance to the noise just idling or is it only when revving it up?

Sent from inside my potato

Either remove belts or get your hands on a mechanics stethoscope they run less than 20 bucks and you can pinpoint noises like that in no time just place the probe on the pulley bolt or the accessory and see which one is making noise, pull the belt to confirm and your set. Can save alot of time.

• Like 1

Either remove belts or get your hands on a mechanics stethoscope they run less than 20 bucks and you can pinpoint noises like that in no time just place the probe on the pulley bolt or the accessory and see which one is making noise, pull the belt to confirm and your set. Can save alot of time.

Agreed. Mechanics stethoscope is the way to go.