Will a vg30 throttle body work on a vg33

Charlie_Brown

The Vg33 throttle body opens opposite of a vg30, which also means the tps is different internally and has a different plug. The 2 are different sizes with the Vg33 throttle body being larger.

What are you needing another throttle body for?

Sent from inside my potato

I have no idea if a VG30 throttle body will fit a VG33 intake, but from what I've read, you don't keep the VG33 intake anyway. You swap in the upper intake and throttle body off your 3.0. That way, you have all the right sensors/vac lines/smog gear/idle air controls to plug into the factory harness and work with the factory ECU.

$900 for just a motor sounds kinda steep, though, especially a motor that's had parts sold off it.

• Like 1

I ended up not getting the engine after finding out that not only would I have to pull the engine but it also has over 100k. Not worth 900$ in my opinion however this is still really good information to know so thank you :)

I got mine at JDM in Santa Fe Springs a complete engine, suposedly under 60.000 miles paid about $900.00 for it.

Like said above I swapped over a 95 plenum and intake.

If you get one from a wrecking yard try and get a 2000 to 2002 exterra, you;ll have the right angle on the oil filter base and the ps and alt will be on the proper sides.

I just wish Mr 510 was still making the crank pulleys it would save a lot of headaches

I just wish Mr 510 was still making the crank pulleys it would save a lot of headaches

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into JDM now :)

Yeah I read the xterra solves that issue and was planning on searching around for one for my swap if I got an engine out of another pathy

Mr. 510 actually does still make brackets for the vg33 swap to move the power steering and alternator in the right place for quest I'd imagine but I'm not sure on the crank. I'll have to ask him on his facebook

Edited by Charlie_Brown

I'll have to consider that on my build.

This might be a dumb question however I just want to be sure, VG33E is the only one they made other than VG33ET right? I keep seeing vg33de around but it seems people are just talking about vg33e. Only reason I am not sure is the vg30de does exist :shrug:

The Vg33 throttle body opens opposite of a vg30, which also means the tps is different internally and has a different plug. The 2 are different sizes with the Vg33 throttle body being larger.

What are you needing another throttle body for?

Since the vg33 throttle body is larger, and when doing a 30 to 33 swap you use the 30 intake and throttle body, then wouldn't this restrict airflow into the 33, making less power? Since the HP and torque gain is so minimal going to a 3.3, restricting it would defeat the purpose. Why not just rebuild the 30, instead of the swap, and save the headache of the accessories mounting, crank pulley, oil pump, etc?

I can tell the difference in my 88 between the 3.0 and the 3.3 even with the 95 intake and plemum on the 3.3

I just picked up another 88, haven't checked out the engine to see whats wrong with it, but if it's major I'll go

the 3.3 route on it also

I don't think it would restrict it too much but if you're in the search for power any increase in flow would help on the intake side of things at least.

Since the vg33 throttle body is larger, and when doing a 30 to 33 swap you use the 30 intake and throttle body, then wouldn't this restrict airflow into the 33, making less power? Since the HP and torque gain is so minimal going to a 3.3, restricting it would defeat the purpose. Why not just rebuild the 30, instead of the swap, and save the headache of the accessories mounting, crank pulley, oil pump, etc?

I was planning on putting 33s on the truck before I destroyed the engine. Multiple people say they have a noticeable power loss with 33s and up so I figured since I already ruined the block it would be better to go this route now rather than later. If I stick 30 the only good thing about it is I could be done pretty much tomorrow.

I read awhile ago, that due to cooling passages being moved, the 3.3 has thicker cylinder walls. they can be bored to create a 4.0 and still have walls that are as thick as the 3.0 at the thinnest point.

Something I was thinking about if I ever get a 3.3, of course, that would probably mean modded intake, different injectors, custom tune, etc, but boy it would be fun.

This might be a dumb question however I just want to be sure, VG33E is the only one they made other than VG33ET right? I keep seeing vg33de around but it seems people are just talking about vg33e. Only reason I am not sure is the vg30de does exist :shrug:

Anyone?

There is no vg33et. ER yes, that is the supercharged Xterra/frontier variant.

I put a "cold air intake" on mine. All it did was make noise, and reduce filtering efficiency. I put the stock air filter housing back in and sold the thing on ebay.

I put a "cold air intake" on mine. All it did was make noise, and reduce filtering efficiency. I put the stock air filter housing back in and sold the thing on ebay.

I have always wondered about those. Some people swear by them. I wonder if they make a difference on engines with more restrictive intakes. I understand that the VG flows really well stock. People say the vk56 has a restrictive intake and cold air intakes make a difference. Never could put my money down to find out though.

Off of the top of my head the maxima's used a VE30de in 92-94

Yes I have heard of the 30de just never a 33de. That is the reason I am hesitant in this situation lol otherwise I would just outright assume it was a misprint

I thought the et was the turbo?

That is good to know another opinion on cold air intake. I was considering doing that on top of a snorkel but that just seems kinda pointless. Not many people have talked about their experiences with cold air intakes on here.