Pacesetter Headers on 2WD?

AndrewC

I have a 1990 Pathfinder VG30E 2WD Auto transmission. I live in Nicaragua. Before I bought the car the previous owner replaced the failing automatic 2wd transmission with an easier to find 4wd auto transmission. I have since had the 4wd transmission rebuilt and it runs great.

The car's suspension is 2wd and has no front axles or anything 4wd besides the transmission and transfer case.

Now, I need new exhaust manifolds. I am thinking about purchasing Pacesetter Armor Coat headers (72C1197)

Will the 4wd headers fit on a 2wd? If not, does anyone know what it is that keeps them from fitting? (Torsion bars?, etc.?)

Amazon doesn't even recognize the 2wd as an option on the Pathfinder. I cant find any listing for any headers (Pacesetter, Thorley, OBX, etc.) specifically for the 2wd. I'm guessing that if there is any difference it would be in the Y-Pipe (between the headers and the Cat). I was hoping someone would know specifics.

I called Pacesetter and was told that they have never tried putting their headers on a 2wd so they can neither confirm nor deny they would fit a 2wd.

According to this thread http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/39469-hand-me-down-93-xe-2wd-4wd-conversion/?hl=%2B4wd+%2Bconversion

"The aftermarket long headers are only designed for the 4wd, [because] they won't fit between the trans pan torsion bars"

So, in case anyone else has the same question, maybe that will help you.

Doug Thorley, however, does make a shorty header I think will fit but would require you to fab your own y-pipe. https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-headers-no-ypipe-by-doug-thorley-30l-v6-1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-p-60125.html

FWIW, I have a set of pacesetter headers that I bought off a guy from Craigslist. He had a 2wd hardbody & he sold them to me because he said they wouldn't bolt on to his truck due to the torsion bars. That being said, I have a body lift on my pathfinder & I think it would be dang near impossible to install the headers on a pathy without a body lift. Even with the extra room, it was still a PITA.

Edited by ebayfish
  • Like 1

If only i had see this earlier. I have a 2wd 5 speed and had those on there for years. they bolted up the motor just fine. the y pipe was the problem. i bought mine off jegs in 2007. they looked great at first then the shine was gone in 6 months. had to go to a muffler shop to make a y pipe that would work. mostly to fit and as well as be able to take them off if i had to take the trans off. long story shot........simply junk. the heat off of them will brake down every rubber hose, line you have. the passenger side would hit the frame taking off from a stop or when the a/c kicked on at lights. the past year i have be rebuilding the old girl and i put all the stock stuff. the sound of the old manifolds sound better to me with the magnaflow thats on it. (thats just me its hard to make a v6 sound good.) I would give you my old ones and send them to you but i threw them out even tried seeing to a couple of nissan heads they didnt even want them. just word of advise about the ones your looking at. if it works out for you thats awesome i just didnt have any luck with them.

• Like 1