88 Pathy 5sp to auto swap questions

BIGFINDERMAN

Really contemplating on swapping out the 5 speed for an auto. I do alot of slow technical rock stuff and think i would enjoy an auto in place of the stick. I have been searching and cant find anything regarding a stick to auto swap. Ive seen people go from auto to stick. What are my options and what kind of electrical demons am i looking at?

Well first off are you looking to go with a 3 speed auto like in the 87 pathfinders (I can't remember when they switched to the 4 speeds) or are you looking to go with a 4 speed with overdrive?

As for wiring you'd need the wiring harness for the TCU and possibly the wiring harness under the dash so you can have all the plugs for the other components. You'd need to remove your dash to remove your brake and clutch pedal and swap in an auto brake pedal if you want the larger foot pad.

Parts wise you'd need the flex plate, torque converter, you'll need to aquire the bushing piece that is pressed into the crank for an automatic (the piece normally removed when doing an auto to manual swap) transmission, the metal cooler lines, transmission cooler, the shift cable, the interior console and the appropriate transmission tunnel floor plate, possibly the TPS with the potentiometer in it for the auto ECU, you'd need the auto ECU and the harness from the engine bay to under the seat depending on which transmission you go with. You'll need a transfer case for an automatic since the manual transmission transfer case has an oil cup on its input shaft.

So far that's all I can think of.

Sent from inside my potato

Edited by RCWD21
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I believe they switched to the 4sp in 88. If i did it i would want the 4 sp for OD purposes. I know some guys have swapped out there factory auto for one of the newer HD autos in the xterras (i think i cant remember what model they came in). I knew it would be quite the job to accomplish.

The HD transmission can be found in the first gen xterra I believe. I know it's from mid 01' and after but not sure when it ends. I wanna say the 04' model? Either way it's going to be a lot of work, but should be worth it.

I would assume so since you're going for the 4 speed. You'd basically need to swap over a ton of wiring and parts. Can you get ahold of the whole parts pathfinder?

Any RE4R01A is plug and play. Just remember that if you get a transmission from a supercharged xterra that you'll need the torque converter AND flex plate since they're different. With any transmission you get its a good idea to get the torque converter with it unless you're replacing it with a new one, and if you're going with a new one I'd highly recommend removing and cleaning the pan in kerosene before installing it in your pathfinder, oh and replace the input seal that seals the transmission and converter snout.

About the only issue I see you running into is a difference is plug sizes where everything connects to the vehicle from the transmission so get the vehicle side of the gear selector unit too just incase

Edited by RCWD21

So if I got the ecu and wiring harnesses from a 88 Auto pathy, would any newer Auto trans (including the hd) be plug and play?

I swapped out my 88 wiring to a 95 when I installed the 3.3, the wire loom is basically one loom from the head lights to the tail lights, sub looms as follows inst. cluster door wiring, trans wiring, rear hatch, fuel pump and sender, alt loom, and engine feed loom. I think thats all

If your lucky you might be able to splice in to the stock loom. but if it was me I'd go with a loom from an auto and while at it why not go with 95 looms then you could do the 94 95 rounded dash later frt door panels so forth so on

It took me about 5 hrs to pull the loom off of a 95 pathy, and it would prob, take about that long on a 88.

I ended up gutting the 95 of all the wiring and ended up with a wheelbarrow full of wiring and relays

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I'm wandering if it would be easier to use everything from a 88/89 Auto just for engine harness purposes. Alot of extra wiring would have to be done if I went with anything 90+ wouldn't it? Due to the mpfi of the later years?