Added injector cleaner, now Pathfinder is struggling to start

ryjaytay38

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at? My 2001 Pathy was always starting immediately, but I thought with 215000 on it, a bottle of injector cleaner won't hurt. I added it and now it has trouble starting. Once it's running down the road, no problems, no hesitation, no stalling at stop lights. But to get it to start can be a challenge. I thought maybe a fouled plug or injector coils? If anyone can shed a little light on this issue and let me know what I might want to try, it would be greatly appreciated!

Yep. A bad fuel filter should show up most when you're using the most fuel--so it would have issues when you get on the power.

How much fuel was in the tank, and how much injector stuff did you add?

Edited by Slartibartfast

You could also have dislodged a resin build up in the pipes between the filter and the injectors. Now that gunk has broken loose and stuck in your injectors. Spray pattern is compromised and no good for cold starting, but not affecting higher revs performance that much, with enough air swirl to achieve combustion conditions close to normal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Well damn, I just came here to ask what "additives" R50 owners have succesfully used. Definitely not going to use fuel injector cleaner now.

It isn't an issue of fuel system treatments that are bad it's just a fuel system needs to be kept taken care of from the start to avoid issues when the fuel system cleaners are used, if the OP bought the vehicle used then there's no telling what the previous owner(s) did or didn't do.

And generally as long as a vehicle hasn't sat for long periods of time the fuel filter will catch most of what gets broken free or dissolved in the fuel system, That's why they're there and probably what's causing the OP's problmes. It could also be injectors that are failing electronically and they just so happen to fail when the cleaner was used.

Sent from inside my potato