Tire choices for original wheels? 1992 SE Advice? Thanks.

92SEPathFindr

Looking at tire choices for my 1992 SE. I have and want to keep using the stock wheels plus the original spare steely on the rear tailgate. The four tires on now are Westlake 31X10.5XR15 LT from 2012 and the fronts are warn excessively (near bald) on the outer edges. The rear spare must be OE. It's a 215X75XR15 "Toyo Temporary Tire" with a DOT stamp NYK 232, which can only mean 23rd month of 1992 (and it still has nipples). My plan is to take one of my rear tires (tread is better than the fronts) and have it put on as the spare steely to replace the OE spare tire and buy four new tires. I don't want to cut fenders nor do I want rubbing from tires too large. I want economical and good off-road and good highway tires and the better the tire for the cost is important.

1) What size tires does everyone prefer, what brand, any internet deals (coupons) you know of?

2) And how do I remove that locking lug-nut holding the OE spare on safely without a key?

Appreciate your thoughts ans advice, cheers. ...here are some photos:

Recent trip:

9-30-16%20edited%20052_zpsp50vmbn1.jpg

Wheels and tires on now:

11-30-16%20030_zpsbrfytcfl.jpg
11-30-16%20029_zpsy3msldjj.jpg

A lot of people around here use the BFG brand of tires and that's a good choice if you don't have mud or deep snow. I need to get to the cottage so I went with the Goodyear Wrangler Territory (aggressive mud and snow tire). They are a bit loud on the highway when they are new but quiet down about 15% after they are broken in. They are great off road in the dirt, mud and snow but will understeer and plow if you turn full-lock and try to head in any direction other than straight ahead (tread design effect). Owned them for 2 years now and have many thousands of worry free miles on them. They do have a nice thick sidewall on them so I decided to remove my anti-sway bars since the ride was more harsh than I wanted. I did not really note much of a performance (sic) detriment to removing the anti-sway bars after installing those tires. The summer tires that I had were way too soft and allowed to truck to roll far too much to be comfortable without the anti-sway bars so I just sold them with the wheels and run the Goodyear tires all year.

$_27.JPG

Edited by SpecialWarr
  • Like 2

LOve my Kelly Safari TSR's, 31x10.5x15 .

Had em' for 1k miles now and show very little wear.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-1203-kelly-safari-tsr-all-terrain-tire-test/

A lot of people around here use the BFG brand of tires and that's a good choice if you don't have mud or deep snow. I need to get to the cottage so I went with the Goodyear Wrangler Territory (aggressive mud and snow tire). They are a bit loud on the highway when they are new but quiet down about 15% after they are broken in. They are great off road in the dirt, mud and snow but will understeer and plow if you turn full-lock and try to head in any direction other than straight ahead (tread design effect). Owned them for 2 years now and have many thousands of worry free miles on them. They do have a nice thick sidewall on them so I decided to remove my anti-sway bars since the ride was more harsh than I wanted. I did not really note much of a performance (sic) detriment to removing the anti-sway bars after installing those tires. The summer tires that I had were way too soft and allowed to truck to roll far too much to be comfortable without the anti-sway bars so I just sold them with the wheels and run the Goodyear tires all year.

$_27.JPG

Thanks for your feedback and information. How do the 31X10.5XR15, 235X75XR15, 215X75XR15 differ in size dimension? The discount tire store computers highlight the 235X75Xr15 and then add that 31X10.5XR15, 255X70XR15, and 265X70XR15 also are good fits. I am interested in a strong sidewall tire. Thanks.

The 235/75 is just over 29.5" tall and raises the rpm on my Pathfinder to ~2500 at 100km/hr, the 31" (which I have) keep the rpm at ~2250 but are clearly heavy tires that you feel is a heavy tire compared to the 235/75.... The 215 is a 28" emergency spare size only and I would not buy that and run it as a daily tire at all four corners. The 265/70 is 32" tall tire and is heavier than the 31" but might rub a bit at full steering lock unless you have wheel spacers or deeper offset rims (from a Toyota? or something). The 255 I'm not sure but I suspect that it's a 31.5" tire.

Stock tires on the XE were the 235/75R15 OR 31x10.5R15 as an upgrade ( I think)

The SE came with 31" tires as stock as far as I know but can easily take the smaller tires.

• Like 1

The 235/75 is just over 29.5" tall and raises the rpm on my Pathfinder to ~2500 at 100km/hr, the 31" (which I have) keep the rpm at ~2250 but are clearly heavy tires that you feel is a heavy tire compared to the 235/75.... The 215 is a 28" emergency spare size only and I would not buy that and run it as a daily tire at all four corners. The 265/70 is 32" tall tire and is heavier than the 31" but might rub a bit at full steering lock unless you have wheel spacers or deeper offset rims (from a Toyota? or something). The 255 I'm not sure but I suspect that it's a 31.5" tire.

Stock tires on the XE were the 235/75R15 OR 31x10.5R15 as an upgrade ( I think)

The SE came with 31" tires as stock as far as I know but can easily take the smaller tires.

Thanks again for the help here. That information helps me understand this and I appreciate it. By the way, your tires are Goodyear Wrangler "Authority" not "Territory" correct? Searching, I found "Authority". They look like a tough tire and that is mostly what I need, ...tough. I off-road sometimes no-road in the deserts and drive over some pretty harsh stuff. Not so much snow or mud but whatever I get I want to do alright there too when needed. The Goodyears look strong similar to the more pricey BFGs.

Take care and thanks!

Aaron

The territory was only available in Canada and they don't even make it anymore. The only choice is the duratrac or the authority.

Personally I would not buy them again and I would get the KO2's instead. Much better tire.

If you have 31x10.5 now you should replace withe the same size as you will lose ground clearance with the smaller tires, that and your speedometer will be off...

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 2

just to throw a wrench in. how bout these... Treadwright Guard Dog.

P1070094_zpsc8e519ce.jpg

They are a little noisy on the highway but great in the snow and mud. and they've been recycled. I've had mine for about 3 years and still lots of tread left.

Edited by bushnut
  • Like 1

just to throw a wrench in. how bout these... Treadwright Guard Dog.

P1070094_zpsc8e519ce.jpg

They are a little noisy on the highway but great in the snow and mud. and they've been recycled. I've had mine for about 3 years and still lots of tread left.

Thanks friend! I'll look into that maker some more. Interesting.

I've run many sets of the Treadwright Guard Dogs with and without kedge. I've had a couple failures but they made good on it...

https://m.summitracing.com/search/brand/mastercraft-tires/part-type/tires/tire-size/31-x-10-50-15

I'm a fan of these Mastercraft MXTs my brother has the AXTs and likes them for mixed driving.

• Like 1

I've run many sets of the Treadwright Guard Dogs with and without kedge. I've had a couple failures but they made good on it...

https://m.summitracing.com/search/brand/mastercraft-tires/part-type/tires/tire-size/31-x-10-50-15

I'm a fan of these Mastercraft MXTs my brother has the AXTs and likes them for mixed driving.

Thanks for adding the info. I'll take a look. I still haven't made a decision so one more desert trip and then I will have made up my mind. (I still have to get that locked lug nut off before and can remove the spare, ...if needed) But I now want to get all five tires instead of four. This way I can rotate them properly. I may need a different wheel than the factory spare wheel for the fifth tire? ...not sure yet. I'm searching the internet/ads hoping for some smokin deal but have not found one yet.

Thanks again friend, :beer:

Aaron

Edited by 92SEPathFindr

I've heard of guys hammering a larger 12-point socket over locking lugs to get enough grip on the buggers to get them off. At least it's not sunk into an alloy wheel where you can't get a tool on it. You might also check with a tire shop, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a few of the more common keys floating around for when people want their tires changed but don't remember what they did with the silly key.

I've got a full-size spare on mine now, on the stock spare rim. I've used it and it works but if I was going to rotate it with the other wheels I'd be looking for another Lego. One thing to look out for, there are two styles of Legos. One takes acorn lug nuts, the other (I think older) takes the shouldered mag type. I didn't know this and now there's a mag Lego gathering dust in my shop.

• Like 1

I've welded cheap sockets to lug nuts before too... I had a buddy that swore he JB welded one... I never bothered. If I couldn't hammer a 12point on it (or find a tool) I welded it.

• Like 1

I've heard of guys hammering a larger 12-point socket over locking lugs to get enough grip on the buggers to get them off. At least it's not sunk into an alloy wheel where you can't get a tool on it. You might also check with a tire shop, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a few of the more common keys floating around for when people want their tires changed but don't remember what they did with the silly key.

I've got a full-size spare on mine now, on the stock spare rim. I've used it and it works but if I was going to rotate it with the other wheels I'd be looking for another Lego. One thing to look out for, there are two styles of Legos. One takes acorn lug nuts, the other (I think older) takes the shouldered mag type. I didn't know this and now there's a mag Lego gathering dust in my shop.

Thanks, that's right I'll take a look at bringing it to a tire shop. I've never used a locking lug. I suppose I'll find out which type of lug nuts mine have and that's right it would be best to find one and even two additional Legos down the road. There are places in the desert where I have taken two spares (just in case) but never needed them and this was because the tires where road tires which I was using off-road (only ones available for my Subaru's 13 inch wheels). My 1985 Subaru GL:

11-9-15%20011_zpsj2fnkhch.jpg

Most definitely will need another Lego wheel. Why are they called Legos BTW?

You can buy the tool to remove the locking nuts at princess auto or harbour freight.

Hope to not buy a tool but will see, thanks for the input.

I've welded cheap sockets to lug nuts before too... I had a buddy that swore he JB welded one... I never bothered. If I couldn't hammer a 12point on it (or find a tool) I welded it.

Interesting, I am quite sure that lug nut (and the others) has been on there 1992. If I had the extra money I would probably dump the Lego wheels and get 5 (or even six) basic solid wheels and tires to match. Mostly, I want function over form. Thanks for the input.

They're called Legos because they look like they should've come in a Lego kit. Odd looking but the backspacing's supposed to be good for clearing big tires. Post a for sale thread if you do decide to get rid of them, bit far away for me but I'm sure other guys are looking for spares.

Nice Subaru! I've seen some good battle-wagon builds starting from those. I think one guy found Peugeot steelies that fit and opened up some tire options, and didn't look too bad either.

• Like 1

The tool was only 20 dollars for a kit that does different sizes. It is also good for removing stripped lugs so it is definitely worth having. I've only had to use it twice and now it has paid for itself.

• Like 1

I'm running 31" Mastercraft Courser AXT's. Excellent for mixed driving.

Not the cheapest tire, but can recommend them after a year on the vehicle.

I'd certainly buy them again.

• Like 1

The tool was only 20 dollars for a kit that does different sizes. It is also good for removing stripped lugs so it is definitely worth having. I've only had to use it twice and now it has paid for itself.

Yeah alright, good point adamzan. I'll take a look. Can't beat that price. :aok:

They're called Legos because they look like they should've come in a Lego kit. Odd looking but the backspacing's supposed to be good for clearing big tires. Post a for sale thread if you do decide to get rid of them, bit far away for me but I'm sure other guys are looking for spares.

Nice Subaru! I've seen some good battle-wagon builds starting from those. I think one guy found Peugeot steelies that fit and opened up some tire options, and didn't look too bad either.

Hey friend, thanks. that's what I figured it was about. I'm new to pathfinders (not Nissan) and I'm very happy with my purchase. Yeah, I've seen the Subaru builds also. Another board, Ultimate Subaru Message Board (USMB), I've been on for years and years. I bought my wagon in 1995 from a used car lot in Denver, CO and have taken that wagon (stock) in all terrains except it can't do boulders and other things. No complaints with the my Subaru and I've done most of the work on it over the years ...well engineered. Yeah, the Peogeot steelies are the best really because the bolt pattern matches. And many drill other wheels, the hubs, or swap later model hubs. Have a good one!

• 6 months later...

...Well, eight months later and I made the decision and bought four Hancook Dynapro AT-m tires and keep my two best older tires as spares (one is on the tailgate rack now.) I'm am very happy with them especially compared to the more street tires (West-lakes) I had on. I'll report back if I have problems with them... Cheers all!

IMG_7478_zpsljgg8fn3.jpg
IMG_7481_zpsicdwcbrc.jpg
IMG_7482_zpsggfgegrq.jpg
hk_dynapro_atmowl_pdpfull_zpsxzj12447.jp

But I now want to get all five tires instead of four. This way I can rotate them properly.

This is old school thinking. With bias tires you could rotate tires using a 5 tire rotation. Modern steel belted radials do not like to change direction of rotation. This is not to say that all steel belted radials are directional, but they wear that way over time. Tires should only be rotated front and back on the same side of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Source? Just about everything I've read suggests that while this may have been true in the early days of radials, it doesn't matter now unless the tires are marked as directional (in which case all you lose by running it backwards is performance in wet conditions). I have yet to hear of a tire failure due to cross-rotation.

• Like 2

Source? Just about everything I've read suggests that while this may have been true in the early days of radials, it doesn't matter now unless the tires are marked as directional (in which case all you lose by running it backwards is performance in wet conditions). I have yet to hear of a tire failure due to cross-rotation.

This.

When I worked at Ford, they recommended cross rotation, and if you had a full size spare to put that in the rotation. Even showed a diagram in the owners manual.

• Like 1

I worked 2 years driving tow truck (no, that doesn't make me an authority). I did bring that up with several different tire shops various auto shops and this is the consistent answer I get. I freely admit I am not an expert, I just try to pass on what I have picked up along the way. It isn't as much of a catastophic failure as they don't wear properly when you change the direction of the tire rotation. I am OK being wrong and corrected but this wasn't just one guys opinion.

• Like 1