Anyone Run Air Lifts with OME Lift?

jaybe14

Hi guys, rear driver side has been sagging from towing my dirt bike and camping etc. I was looking at those air lifts to help level out the truck, but was wondering if they are long enough to level the truck out. Has anyone used the air lift to successfully level out their R50 with the old man emu 1.75" MD coils in the back and HD OME coils in the front?

I have the OME HD & MD springs with air lift bags and love the setup. Perfect for what you're doing. I pull a converted 18ft toy hauler trailer with this setup, pretty hefty tounge weight, and couldnt be happier. Honestly, I run the bags aired up 24/7 because I prefer the way it handles with the bags pressurized.

Edited by TowndawgR50

I have the OME HD & MD springs with air lift bags and love the setup. Perfect for what you're doing. I pull a converted 18ft toy hauler trailer with this setup, pretty hefty tounge weight, and couldnt be happier. Honestly, I run the bags aired up 24/7 because I prefer the way it handles with the bags pressurized.

Thanks town.

Is it safe to assume your run the regular air lift bags made for the R50 (part 60742) and not the longer R51 ones that I heard guys with bigger lifts run?

R50 with the old man emu 1.75" MD coils in the back and HD OME coils in the front?

I have the OME HD & MD springs with air lift bags and love the setup.

What is the benefit of running HD springs up front and MD in the rear? Are you guys dealing with a lot of extra weight mounted up front (aftermarket bumper, winch, etc...) or is there a handling benefit?

What is the benefit of running HD springs up front and MD in the rear? Are you guys dealing with a lot of extra weight mounted up front (aftermarket bumper, winch, etc...) or is there a handling benefit?

Nah. They only make Medium Duty for the rear in OME.

Otherwise they would probably never sell a medium duty again lol. I wouldn't have bought them.

But the fronts have light duty medium and heavy which has a scale for how much lift you get and how heavy your bumper, winch etc.

• Like 1

Like he said, they only make MD for the rear but would have run HD if they made them available because of the trailer I tow. I run HD in front for the weight of the bumper and winch (yet to mount the winch but sits under a workbench waiting)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

And what's your reason for the rear sway bar delete? You didn't do that to the front did you? And where did you mount ur air compressor or did you just use a refillable pig? In process of deciding what all to do for overall upgrades.. Great pics, btw, super clear. Didnt have to squint my old man eyes once! Thx

And what's your reason for the rear sway bar delete? You didn't do that to the front did you? And where did you mount ur air compressor or did you just use a refillable pig?

The front and rear sway bars are still on. Never took them off.

The bags are filled via a Schrader valve on trailer hitch. I keep them at 30 psi because I prefer the ride quality at that pressure.

• 2 years later...

I was searching my email for a reply from Air Lift company, and this thread notification came up, which is the exact question I recently posted about whether part 60742 was good with a 2 inch lift. Great to know it works. Don't know why it didn't come up when I did a forum search before posting my thread.

What are the white spring seats at the bottom in the pics? Its been 10 years since I installed my lift, but I didn't remember there being anything down there besides the metal seat and rubber sleeve around part of the spring. Doesn't look OEM either. Is it to increase height?

I just saw in Towndawg's signature it says he has a 2" rear spacers. I'm going to assume that's what it is. It doesn't look 2 inches lift though. It looks like it would be about 1 inch lift and 1 inch of rim around the edge.

Edited by colinnwn
saw sig and realized what it probably was

Currently Running 2" spacers with my LR9448's and no longer need the airlift helper units. They worked well for my rig as a tow vehicle but off roading with them in caused the bags to fail. They don't have a way to re-seat properly when articulating the rear axle so the fragile neck of the bag that goes through the spring perch gets pinched. The rear OME MD's give around 1.75" of lift and the bags worked great with that setup. When the load was enough to cause the OME MD springs to droop the bags brought the truck back up and improved handling. 

If you need load handling the cost of a set of LR springs around the same as Airlift load helpers ( the airlifts cost around $80 bucks and the springs were about the same to my door from the UK) and will never fail you. The ride is not harsh and they are one of the best upgrades for the R50 for the cost, hands down. 

• Like 1

Currently Running 2" spacers with my LR9448's and no longer need the airlift helper units. They worked well for my rig as a tow vehicle but off roading with them in caused the bags to fail. They don't have a way to re-seat properly when articulating the rear axle so the fragile neck of the bag that goes through the spring perch gets pinched. The rear OME MD's give around 1.75" of lift and the bags worked great with that setup. When the load was enough to cause the OME MD springs to droop the bags brought the truck back up and improved handling. 

If you need load handling the cost of a set of LR springs around the same as Airlift load helpers ( the airlifts cost around $80 bucks and the springs were about the same to my door from the UK) and will never fail you. The ride is not harsh and they are one of the best upgrades for the R50 for the cost, hands down. 
Are the LR springs really that much of a load carrying improvement over AC 2" springs? I was wanting to fix the slight nose high stance when towing my trailer.

Without the trailer I don't want too much rake.

If they are likely to compress a lot less under 350 lbs, it's really surprising they aren't harsh, because my AC springs are plenty harsh, at least on Dallas potholes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, colinnwn said:

Are the LR springs really that much of a load carrying improvement over AC 2" springs?

I can't comment on AC springs but I tow an 18ft toy hauler and the LR's have proven themselves to be great for that as well as having fantastic performance off road. The tounge weight is pretty high and the trailer itself is 3750lbs unloaded. I have had no need for airlifts since switching over. 

The ride quality is obviously not entirely dependent on the springs but with my current setup the truck is a great dual purpose vehicle