R50 acceleration problems

cham

My QX4 with the 3.5 always read a bit low too, in fact if it went up at all, even up to the middle, it would dump coolant out the radiator cap (which basically meant if it was over 70 degrees I couldn't use AC because the extra load was just too much...ah, the memories of burning the ever living %&^! out of my arm setting it on the windowsill to keep myself cool with all the windows open when it was 95 degrees out :dance:) (And yes, I know I should have probably looked into this, but it was never a problem unless it was hot out and the AC was on.  The temp gauge didn't even think of budging when offroading no matter how hot it was or how strenuous the trails were, never even budged in traffic.)

• Like 2

Wow that’s definitely some memories you wouldn’t forget haha, personally never had coolant shoot out of the radiator cap but yeah ive had my fair share of ac issues.  Takes forever for the air to actually get cool sometimes in the summer and my heat in the winter is blazing hot no matter what the temp is set to unless it’s 65 which magically just switches the air to cool.  Other than that i’ve ordered myself a new OEM fan clutch from nissan in hopes to rid myself of this noisy engine, ill update eveyone once its on and functioning.  My plan is if that doesnt work ill get a bluetooth obd2 scanner to help narrow down things and possibly look at the thermostats.

Im going to try and see if one of the techs at my work can help me with it I don’t think it’s super straightforward, not much online in terms of info. If you order one I’d only recommend the stock factory clutch as I’ve read many stories online of people getting aftermarket ones and the fan being just as loud if not louder so there’s that to think about. Unfortunately the OEM is pretty pricy with around a $170 price tag so make sure it’s what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am happy to report that after having installed the new fan clutch it solved some issues.  For one and the biggest is my pathy no longer sounds like an 18 wheeler driving down the road!  It just about sounds 75% quieter which is much more than I expected because I was so used to the semi truck roar.  It also solved a squeeling sound above 4000rpm that was driving me nuts thank god.  It accelerates smoother and I feel I’ve gained some power back.  The issue that remains which is kind of funny because it was a result of the roar is I can now hear the other subtlties of the engine.  I’ve had an inkling there might be an air leak somewhere in the engine bay and I can now hear some air escaping somewhere in the rear of the engine up higher in front of the driver side. Dont know if anyone would have some insight on this.  I also hear some crackling now in my exhaust near the cats.  Dont know if this is normal but it sounds like something is in there bouncing of the walls.  It could be just from the fact that I can hear more going on with my car that was less noticeable before.  Occasionally though will note after have turned off my car to park it I’ll hear some loud pops from the exhaust from it cooling but pretty loud ones.  Regardless glad to have fixed the main issues.  I thank everyone who’s commented and contributed to this thread!

• Like 2

I am happy to report that after having installed the new fan clutch it solved some issues.  For one and the biggest is my pathy no longer sounds like an 18 wheeler driving down the road!  It just about sounds 75% quieter which is much more than I expected because I was so used to the semi truck roar.  It also solved a squeeling sound above 4000rpm that was driving me nuts thank god.  It accelerates smoother and I feel I’ve gained some power back.  The issue that remains which is kind of funny because it was a result of the roar is I can now hear the other subtlties of the engine.  I’ve had an inkling there might be an air leak somewhere in the engine bay and I can now hear some air escaping somewhere in the rear of the engine up higher in front of the driver side. Dont know if anyone would have some insight on this.  I also hear some crackling now in my exhaust near the cats.  Dont know if this is normal but it sounds like something is in there bouncing of the walls.  It could be just from the fact that I can hear more going on with my car that was less noticeable before.  Occasionally though will note after have turned off my car to park it I’ll hear some loud pops from the exhaust from it cooling but pretty loud ones.  Regardless glad to have fixed the main issues.  I thank everyone who’s commented and contributed to this thread!

Gonna do this with my next paycheck, was it easy?

I ended up getting my mechanic to do it as I'm at Uni so don't have too much free time.  Sorry I can't help you out with that one but from what I saw of the 3.3L procedure, it looks pretty simple and I hear it's very similar to the 3.5L engine.  

• Like 1