A/t experiances a "shock"

HastingsIV

Unsure what the proper mechanical or automotive terminology might be for this, but my 1995 A/T Pathy experiences a "jolt" or "thump" often when it is going from first to second gear. It is rough and makes me worry something is out of alignment. After the initial jolt it doesn't do that for any other gears until I bring the vehicle to a complete stop and then accelerate. This makes driving in residential areas annoying, and I am fearful that this means my transmission is going to be eating a ton of cash soon.

How long have you had this issue? Are you the original owner? Any mods with the pathfinder?

A shift kit installed will reduce the slip from 1-2 and will shift harder. What it seems like to you though that it may not be the case.

How is the fluid level and color?

The fsm points to these possibilities

e26e2e927a3d47b0b2ebd8d4774050ac.jpg

Hard 1-2 shift is normal on these. As long as it isn't slipping between shifts (would feel like it is sliding into gear) it is fine. May want to get the fluid changed though. It is usually worse when cold.

I am not the original owner, and there are no mods to the rig. It doesn't feel to be slipping, and after scouring the forum more I notice others have had the same issue with the transmission from 1-2.

Ill have to look at the fluid levels, and I honestly have not done so myself. One more thing to learn. I am using this rig as a way to teach myself more about auto mechanics and I have never done any work on a transmission, nor even check the fluids or attempted diagnosis of anything transmission related

I am planning on installing an standalone transmission cooler. I have changed radiators before so it doesn't look much different than doing that. Thinking that might be helpful in the longevity of the transmission after all I have read about the stock cooler clogging. I would rather put money in preventative maintenance that purchasing a new transmission.

With that in mind, I have heard some folks referance that you can install an early model Xterra transmission in WD21s. Is that the case or is there a lot of fabbing involved to get that to work?

My auto use to do the same exact thing until I had the throttle position sensor replaced yesterday with a Beck/Arnley. Before that, I thought it was normal too which isn't the case because now the shift into second is like butter. Not only that, but throttle response is a LOT smoother as well. I've replaced wires, plugs, coil and distributor, however, the golden key was the TPS because before that, nothing else resolved that issue but it wasn't like I ever tried. This was just an unexpected outcome because I replaced it to remediate some power loss I had been experiencing. Best $42 I've ever spent in my life.

I feel your pain – also the pain in your back because I know how violent that shift shock can be when it's experienced at the right RPM/ speed. I really can't explain how or why this worked to relieve the shift shock because I'm not a mechanic, I only pretend to be online. All I know is that the TPS replacement worked and then some. The part ran for ~$42 off of Amazon and because I don't have time, I had my mechanic change it out for only $25. I doubt you'll get the same labor rate but it's worth looking into. Does anyone have a theory or know why replacing the TPS cured shift shock? I'm extremely curious because the difference was like night and day.

Also, it doesn't get as hot in Oregon as it does in NM, plus we're headed into the cooler months, but get that aux ATF cooler and bypass the OEM one ASAP. I went through the stock transmission already because I didn't install mine soon enough.

I read somewhere else (cant find the link now) where someone suggested changing the TPS to alleviate odd early shifts. I also have little knowledge of what the the TPS does but ill keep that in mind and do more research.

Aux cooler is on my priority list, spent the other day scouring the net and these forums for the best ones and best way to install.