03Troutfinder Mild build Thread

03TroutFinder

The required surgery I performed to get full clearance and final overall height of the Pathy after lift and wheels/tires:

[/url]">http://frontcut_zpsvbiobupb.jpg

rearcut_zpsufgeq0yg.jpg

[/url]">http://Frontfinalheight_zpsfv1bvzqh.jpg

[/url]">http://http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/Geffellz18/media/rearfinalheight_zpsyxbiera7.jpg.html'>rearfinalheight_zpsyxbiera7.jpg

You should have been able to just unscrew the three screws for the splash guard and drilled 3 holes to move them forwards a 1.25" or so and kept them. That's what I did. I did trim the front bumper a smudge with angle grinder though.

And gutted the stiffeners on my back mud flap but they did stay.

But your tires may be taller. I didn't want to lose the flaps totally. Because I removed the steps so my paint would have nothing to slow the rocks.

Edited by LittleFR

Great looking truck man. That was generally the idea I had for my stance but was gonna use chrome 20 inch rims. and I didn't see the tire size did u say. either that stance or the 4 inch sfd and 31/10.50s mud tires on 15s or 16s But congrats that's a great looking pathfinder sharp!

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to keep the mud flaps too, but didn't think of that as an option and now they are in some landfill somewhere!

Puddle,

Thanks! I appreciate it.

The tires are 275/55/20's. Their specs state they are just over 32" tall and 10.5" wide

• 2 weeks later...

your trout finder looks great, I really like it. I just got my 2002 pathy 2 weeks ago anjd plan to do some upgrades soon. But your's looks swicked very cool, I'll be happy if I can get mine lifted a bit 2 or 2.5" and mabee get some skidd plates to protect the bottom. I don't want to smash something on a rock way out in the middle of nowere lol. take it easy and keep the shiny side up.

Yes, that grille looks awesome! Where did u get that thing?

Thanks!

I actually made it. Purchased some black aluminum grille mesh off of eBay. Cut out the center of the grille housing, leaving a little extra on top to mount the fig lights to. Took the chrome grille frame off(sanded & painted it black), cut the mesh to size and re-installed. The frame fits back with some pressure and care holding the mesh in place.

About $10 in material and some time is all it took!

• 2 months later...

Put on some Black tail light guards on a few weeks ago.

Now we are planning out ideas on a simple design bull bar/brush guard setup with winch mount.

If any of you guys have some pics or ideas I'd greatly appreciate them. Thinking of something like this one without the bull bar part on top. Again, Simple and to the point design, but open to any other options as well.

[/url]">http://http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/Geffellz18/media/patrol_zpsgwathdxr.jpg.html'>patrol_zpsgwathdxr.jpg

BTW......Why don't they market the Patrol in the Good Ol' USA......These things look SICK!!!

Future plans to do a rear bumpr guard too similar to what you see on Jeeps with tow hooks.......Too many ideas, not enough time!

BTW......Why don't they market the Patrol in the Good Ol' USA......These things look SICK!!!

Seriously. Also the LandCruiser 70.. I mean yeah we have more paved roads but they'd still sell them by the boat load!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Dude that headlight tint looks AMAZING but I can't imagine they light up the road very well at night. How is the light output form them?

I admit not that great, but with my recessed fog lights on it's more than adequate. I plan to eventually upgrade the headlights to something more powerful. This would help greatly. I rarely drive it at night however since it's not my DD.

You done an admirable job on taking a generic silver PF and giving it some attitude, well done! Not a big fan of large diameter rims on 4 X 4's but that's just me...I do like the style of them though.

Your comment on the sad lack of the Patrol in the North American market, is right on the money....I'd buy one just on looks alone!

• 1 year later...

Update:

Scored a killer price on an xj bumper with pre-runner bar online so bit on it.
Spent the day getting it mocked up
Wasn't too bad, but did take nearly all day to do some trial and error research. I think it came out pretty good though.
Will definately have to have a plate made to protect the radiator as well as reroute or build a cover for the washer fluid and radiator overflow. For the radiator overflow, I may make something for it.

Now I just have to take it back off and have it sprayed.

Was also planning to change out the front springs too, but time ran out. Project for another day.

Next relatively big project is building a custom rear bumper with a swing arm for my spare and jerry can.

Thanks for looking17c574818c7baf864254900c9ef1b7f6.jpg53cb3c186c9ba10890834477908838d7.jpg37774af6768ead72860b1e95facc35d8.jpg5e4eeee07b3509bb096d3b850f4b4126.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Afternoon Project:
Started on the rear bumper this afternoon. Got the main frame of it fabricated and mocked up.
Deciding if I will continue with my initial plan to add the sides that will cover where the OEM bumper bends around towards the rear wheel well.
Going to install the spare tire carrier directly to the bumper.
Hopefully the tire will help cover the gap between the new bumper and receiver! 05d7627e841faeb01bb4833b3862b08f.jpg68388a60945057b99d6bc18206b0a439.jpg507ca851571908104ce0294d500ff6d8.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 03TroutFinder said:

Afternoon Project:
Started on the rear bumper this afternoon. Got the main frame of it fabricated and mocked up.
Deciding if I will continue with my initial plan to add the sides that will cover where the OEM bumper bends around towards the rear wheel well.
Going to install the spare tire carrier directly to the bumper.
Hopefully the tire will help cover the gap between the new bumper and receiver! 05d7627e841faeb01bb4833b3862b08f.jpg68388a60945057b99d6bc18206b0a439.jpg507ca851571908104ce0294d500ff6d8.jpg

Installing the same exact one on mine^^ brother ordered it for his tacoma, but there was an error in the production so they are sending him another for free

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You thinking about welding a hitch right into your bumper like I did with mine? Looks great, functions great, and best off all leaves a ton more room for that departure angle!
I did weld a hitch directly to the new bumper, but kept the other one too.
Instead of building a swing arm, I'm going to fab up a spare tire carrier to insert into a tilting carrier attachment where the wheel will simply fold down to access the cargo area instead of swing out.
Going to try this first to see if I like it before forking out the $$$ for. Swing arm kit.

Here are a few pics of the troutfinder after she got much needed bath! Been about year.
Next big project is to get her repainted.
Thinking strongly about going Heath Gray from.the old Fj's. If that becomes too difficult, then it's most likely Cement from the new taco's.

993b5e5ba48c20be58b122863612402d.jpg54c1e31da0fe4d5efef92d28081a20af.jpgbfc9ff089bdf1b118dbbf81eec286ebd.jpgd21476c383c333ad5f44a8003abacdb4.jpg70903ba08826307e8e47a237357594a6.jpg

• Like 1

That front bumper looks siiiick!!! How much did you pay for it? 
Thanks. It was under $450. Got it off ebay of all places.
It's a winch bumper for an xj cherokee made by goliath.
They are based out of FL. They are still available on Ebay and ship for free.
You can get different front bar setups like bull bar, stinger, or pre-runner(like mine) or just the bumper.
Took a little fab work and most of a day to get it mounted properly, but all in all it fits great. I like this one because its wider than most xj bumpers and actually fits the pathy better than some others I have seen.
You can see some fab/install pics if you look at previous posts in this thread.