SFD- Front Sway Bar Necessary?

So I'm well into my SFD now, and I'm wondering if there is any real reason to keep my front sway bar in? I figure the fact that it's an IFS vehicle might mean I need to keep it in, but not sure. I'm also putting in AC front coils so the front end should be quite stiff anyways I figure. I'm definitely taking the back one out but I figured I'd ask. Any insight is appreciated!

Running with the front swaybar removed contributes to increased body roll when cornering, so you will need to drive more slowly when cornering. The off-road performance was significantly improved, and the truck felt more stable when crossing into a steep driveway at a 45° angle. I had my front swaybar uninstalled for a few years (2" AC lift), and the truck seemed to wallow a lot more such as when driving on cloverleaf freeway ramps or on twisty roads. On the highway, it never felt unsafe, however. (My rear swaybar broke in 2009 and I never replaced it.)

You can certainly try driving without the swaybar, working your way from lower speeds up to higher speeds. You can try carefully performing rapid lane-change maneuvers in a safe location at 20mph and every 5mph after until you feel that the risk of rollover is too great during an emergency lane-change. If at any point you feel the decrease in handling is not worth the improvement elsewhere, just reinstall it.

All that being said, I am currently running my front swaybar again because I have been driving my Pathy on the highway much more frequently, and I have not taken it off-road in a while. Depending on the difficulty of the trail I'll run next, I will decide whether to remove it or not ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I had it off for a little bit and after about a week and a really good scare on the highway I put it back on...it doesn't really help travel of the front with it off...just best to keep it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My end links went bad and I had some strange handling issues. Replaced them and it handled good again. I guess AC's would mask some of it but I would be leery. Plus if I'm off road or jack up the frame I can get enough flex to break a CV if I got froggy. I just don't have the up travel you might gain from no sway bar.

I had it off for a little bit and after about a week and a really good scare on the highway I put it back on...it doesn't really help travel of the front with it off...just best to keep it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree that driving without the swaybar doesn't help with travel. In my experience, it helps tremendously.

In tough terrain, the front wheels are free to move up and down independently without forcing the other wheel to move in the same direction. For example, with the swaybar removed, the body will stay more level when you cross up the front and rear axles. With the swaybar attached, there will be a stronger tendency for the front wheels to travel together, increasing body roll and forcing the rear suspension to articulate more. If there is insufficient travel in the rear, it is easier to lift a rear tire and lose traction.

In summary, I would not recommend removing the sway-bar from a daily driver, but it is actually preferable to remove it for heavy off-road use where it is important to maximize suspension travel (such as rock-crawling). You just need to retrain yourself to drive differently with the sway-bar removed to/from the trailhead.

• Like 3

I disagree that driving without the swaybar doesn't help with travel. In my experience, it helps tremendously.

In tough terrain, the front wheels are free to move up and down independently without forcing the other wheel to move in the same direction. For example, with the swaybar removed, the body will stay more level when you cross up the front and rear axles. With the swaybar attached, there will be a stronger tendency for the front wheels to travel together, increasing body roll and forcing the rear suspension to articulate more. If there is insufficient travel in the rear, it is easier to lift a rear tire and lose traction.

In summary, I would not recommend removing the sway-bar from a daily driver, but it is actually preferable to remove it for heavy off-road use where it is important to maximize suspension travel (such as rock-crawling). You just need to retrain yourself to drive differently with the sway-bar removed to/from the trailhead.

Do you have a suggestion as to how to make the front swaybar easier to disconnect? I haven't seen any products for the purpose for our vehicles. Also, are there any concerns that would come with the increased movement in the front suspension (increased chance of damage to CVs)?

Unfortunately, any type of quick-disconnect apparatus for the R50 swaybar results in not-so-good results. The swaybar either bangs around on top of the CV axles when disconnected, or if you try to suspend it in a "stowed" position, the ends will hit the tabs on the struts during certain turning maneuvers with the suspension stuffed. If you only disconnect one side, then when that side drops, the swaybar will jam itself against the CV axle. So, removal is really the only option for those of us who want improved front axle articulation.

As for damaging the CV axles, the only way you would do that is if you installed strut spacers that allow the lower A-arm to drop further than originally designed when the wheels are off the ground, which may bind the CV joint and cause it to break. If you don't run any spacers that cause binding when the wheels are off the ground, then there's no risk of breaking a CV joint.

• Like 3