engine swap

Caleb1563

So I want to swap out my vg30e with something else my pathy is a 1990 with 5 speed standard transmission. I've read that a vg33e and a vg30det are good options but I haven't found much as to what all it takes will the motor mounts still work? Will the transmission mount up or will I need a different one? What about wiring do the harnesses match up do I need a new ecu? Can I just drop it in hook it up and go? Any information along those lines you can provide for both engines would be much appreciated

The only VG that fits in our trucks without bottomless pockets is a single cam. You put those Z32 twin turbo dreams out of your head right now!

a VG33E swaps over fairly easily, mostly Plug-N-Play. It's well documented. Look with your eyes, not your mouth.

a handful of people have also put domestic v6's in our chassis, but it generally ends up not being worth the trouble.

THIS FOR MY 88

if you go with the 3.3 a few things to think about, ps and alt are swapped on the3.3. probably the easiest and cheapest way to go

is have the 3.0 vibration dampner turned out to the 3.3 size. going that way you'll have to swap out the oil filter base from a 2000

exterra to get the proper angle on the filter and you will be able to use the 3.0 mounting brackets, or put the filter over the starter like the 3.0.

I couldn't find a shop local to do my pulley so I swapped a whole 2000 exterra crank pulley and mounts, I did have to swap my A/C

comp to the 2000 but the alt and ps fit alright.

I wanted the rounded dash and I found a 95 pathy at pickapart pulled the dash and the complete wiring from it and installed it in my 88 also using the 95 intake and plemum and 3.3 injectors.

It's been a lot of work but it's running and almost complete

edit to add

if I had to do it over I'd be almost willing to keep the tbi instead of the mpi

Edited by vagabond

I wanted the rounded dash and I found a 95 pathy at pickapart pulled the dash and the complete wiring from it and installed it in my 88 also using the 95 intake and plemum and 3.3 injectors.

Did you just drill and rivet back in the Vin? I have not really looked into this much but when I did I heard the legality of it was questionable