Finding new key blanks.

Harbinger

Hi all,

My original key died on me a while back. Been using my spare, but never made a backup for the new, only key. Tried to get some copies made today, but the two places I went both were out of the #38 key blank needed. Seems like it is being phased out?

What has everyone else done to replace their keys?

Hi all,

My original key died on me a while back. Been using my spare, but never made a backup for the new, only key. Tried to get some copies made today, but the two places I went both were out of the #38 key blank needed. Seems like it is being phased out?

What has everyone else done to replace their keys?

Lowe's and Home Depot have them in stock. Even the mom and pop locksmith places carries them. It would make no sense to throw away stock when money can be made. If you are out in BFE then you can order from Amazon or Ebay.

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine made at lowes when I damn near cracked my original in half (damn old stiff locks!) Both of my keys however didn't come out perfect, the first would unlock it but gridded against a tumble making it even harder to not break, the second just has its hang ups every now and again. I've since greased the locks and the key only gives me trouble once every 10 to 15 times but nothing big.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, been a while since having anything to post about(had truly bazaar electrical problems-key related, that pissed me off so much, I parked the Pathy f/a year and a half & gave it the stink eye everytime I walked by But THAT is a whole other post-lol). Those frikin frakin "chip" keys...lost 1 of the 2 that came w/truck and used the 2nd to death-apparently the "chip" is in a little glass vial and a little fragile. Dropped my keys fifty12 times and ended up damaging the chip enough to corrupt the signal from it to the cpu. (A post of mine, a few years ago, asked why Pathy would start & run for 20 mins then just die.) SORRY I DIGRESS...had to buy new chip key: Ebay; got 2 keys shipped for under $30CAN. Took keys to local locksmith w/tech device to cut & reprogram these "new" keys...dude tells me "These keys do NOT have chips and you got ripped off"...lesson learned. Missed my Pathy and finally went to dealer(sigh) w/truck and original, but now buggered, key. They had it for 3 days, with their #1 tech trying to figure out what up w/the dying after 20 mins thing it was plagued with. Had new key cut & programmed from dealer($130.) Went BACK to locksmith to get a cheaper "clone" key for spare, dude tells me "new OEM key is NOT cloneable"....BASTARDS, I says to myself. The BRIGHT spot in all this: that weird "dying" was ALL caused by that original corrupted key-cost me the better part of $800 by the time all was said and done BUT, ITS ALIVE, MY PATHY'S ALIVE!!!!!

NOTE: DO NOT EVER USE ANY "LIQUID" TYPE OF LUBRICANT ON UR DOOR OR IGNITION LOCKS/SWITCHES-These products ATTRACT dirt and abrasives into the fine workings of the locks and will destroy them. Use a "DRY" lubricant w/PTFE such as: Liquid Wrench-Dry Lube made by Solder Seal/GUNK Corp. It's carrier evaporates and all that is left is the PTFE that does the lubricating. WD-40 is for removing sticker goo and catching Halibut only!!!!!