31-spline swap (or, How to install a rear mechanical locker in the R50)

hawairish

If you know anything about me by now, it’s that I tend to research the hell of out of things and write long posts about it. Well, this one is about how to put a 31-spline locker into a Pathfinder (or Frontier or Xterra).

For the TL;DR crowd…

You can swap in two versions of 31-spline axle shafts from specific D22/U Frontiers into 33-spline R50 Pathfinder, D22/U Frontier, or WD22 Xterra in order to use mechanical lockers intended for WD21 Pathfinder, D21 Hardbody, and Y60/Y61 Patrol models.

This isn’t a theory post. I bought axle shafts, a mechanical locker, all the axle hardware, measured everything, assembled everything, and test fit it into my spare R50 H233B axle with a WD21 LSD installed.

As a technicality, you can also do this in a JR50 QX4 and R50 Pathfinder with All-Mode AWD, but don’t plan on using Auto mode. It can also be done on any 2wd model, provided it has an H233B axle. It’ll even work for using the tighter LSDs found in W/D21s. For you international folks, Frontier is Navara and Pathfinder is Terrano.

The Project

This started as musings that an off-the-shelf 31-spline (hereafter “31/s”) mechanical locker could fit 33-spline (“33/s”) H233B axles with enough mashup of parts from certain axles or differentials. TowndawgR50 and I started talking about it in several months ago as a cheaper alternative to an air or electronic locker. Over time, it became obvious that this would be possible.

I originally planned to do this on my own truck first, but the project shifted to him when I happened to be passing through his neck of the woods and could deliver everything personally. R&D went well overall, but was not with setbacks, including a big one that put the project in a coma for the past several weeks. One of the original axle shafts I bought was slightly bent, we lost time and money dealing with the returns (two, in fact...the replacement we received was wrong), and then went through minor hell finding another replacement because—at the time—there was only one known axle shaft that would work (hence my Parts Wanted post about pulling a part from a truck in Austin, of all places.)

I eventually found another replacement—just the other day, in fact—and...well, it was quite surprise considering it’s not even from an H233B axle. It has brought the project back to life.

The project as it exists right now is quite the Frankenstein: a Spartan locker for a Patrol, two different (yet “same”) Frontier axle shafts, and a mix of D22 and R50 parts. Planning to do the same swap—timed with a rear disc brake swap—I had also ordered a Patrol Lokka, but they dropped the ball and struggled to both communicate and fulfill the order, so I cancelled the order. I was looking forward to a dual-Lokka R50.

But anyway, the project is real again, finally. I still have a few parts to send to TowndawgR50, but I’m pretty excited to see this come alive. I'll let him fill in any details after all is said and done (fingers crossed no other issues!)

That all said, let’s do this...

First, some background…

Nissan used the H233B axle in US-based trucks and SUVs until the 2005 models. It came in leaf- and coil-sprung flavors, with either 31- or 33-spline axle shafts. Axles prior to R50 and W/D22 models were narrower. Internally, there were a few varieties of open and LSD carriers and configurations, but the differentials were dimensionally the same. Generally speaking, the internals are interchangeable to some degree across all models.

Specifically, by axle shaft spline count, 31/s models had more traction options, including:

• Air lockers: ARB and TJM*
  • E-lockers: Eaton*
  • Mechanical: Detroit (Eaton), two Lock Right versions (Powertrax/Richmond), Spartan*, and Lokka*
  • Limited-slip: OE
  • Open: OE

*These are for the 31/s front axle found in Patrols. The splining is the same as non-Patrol rear applications.

Conversely, 33/s models had the same options except no mechanical lockers, and the OE LSDs were 35%-90% weaker than their W/D21 counterparts.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 5

Ok, so what do I need?

In order to install a mechanical locker, you need:

1. 31/s axle shafts and appropriate hardware
  2. A mechanical locker (and possibly another differential carrier, depending on which you currently have and which locker you want)

Of course, this swap may require a particular knowledge set and specialty tools to do various things, such as: pull/press bearings; set backlash; bleed brakes; etc. Refer to the FSM in those cases. I won’t go deep into those how-to details in this particular post, but will answer any questions about them.

#1: The 31/s Unicorn...er, Unicorns?

Early in my research, I learned that the Pathfinder, Frontier, and Xterra share the exact same axle shafts, but for the Frontier, there is a 2nd axle shaft listed for the same axle housing. I reasoned that it must be the same length as the others. I cross-referenced all sorts of parts and basically had proof that it was also 31/s because of the shared side gears and other parts found in W/D21 diffs and axles. I tried finding a suitable donor for a while, but stalled on it for a few weeks and just started calling it The Unicorn.

Then a comment from a post at N4W was the proof I needed. A member there, OnlyOneDr (Chris), had done this on his Frontier long ago and still had it documented on his website. (I still scratch my head as to why those never showed up in my numerous Google searches.)

I was actually familiar with Chris’ truck (formerly a 2wd Desert Runner, now SAS’d) from a long time ago when I frequented the (very) old AC forum. I got in touch with him, and he confirmed everything, of course. I then found the right donor on eBay and bought them.

Unicorn #1: 1999-2000 D22 Frontier V6 KC 4WD, manufactured before 9/00, p/n 38164-2S670 (previously 38164-2S610)

From L-R: WD21 (w/discs), Unicorn #1, R50:

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

Unicorn #1 is dimensionally the same as the WD21 shaft, except is about 3” longer and has a landing for an ABS tone ring. It uses all the same bearing and hardware. It’s about 1-2mm less in diameter all around compared to the R50 shaft, except for a noticeably smaller wheel flange (same size as WD21), but is the exact same height. All three shafts use the same bearing cage.

I obviously can’t take credit for finding Unicorn #1. Big thanks to Chris for pioneering that and providing me more information. I believe his original swap has since been moved to an Xterra he owns (and I think he still has a 2nd set available.)

As mentioned above, this were the project stalled; we struggled to find a replacement for the bent shaft we originally received. However, I think I can claim discovery for the replacement we did find...enter Unicorn #2.

Unicorn #2: 2003-2004 D22U Frontier CC V6 AT 4WD XE -and- 2003-2004 D22 Frontier KC V6 AT 4WD XE, manufactured post-9/02, p/n 38164-2Z560

From L-R: WD21 (w/disc), Unicorn #2, R50:

IMG_4490.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

Unicorn #2 is dimensionally the same as the R50 shaft, except for the spline count and wheel flange (both the same as the WD21 shaft).

This axle shaft is from a C200 axle, not an H233B! So how the hell did I reach this conclusion? Well...

I knew that C200 (and R200A, for that matter) have the same 29/s shafts and that they shared the ARB RD-202. Later, the C200 went to 31/s. In the ARB catalog, I noticed that they listed the 31/s C200 and H233B as having the same spline diameters. Conveniently, I had been seeing this one particular new-old-stock shaft on eBay for weeks, but hadn’t given it any thought since I knew it was for a C200 axle.

On a hunch, I did several key part number comparisons. It uses the exact same R50 parts except for a grease catcher and the ABS tone ring. The eBay seller confirmed a few other dimensions, including the spline count. That said, I bought it.

The grease catchers (that black plate behind the wheel flange, shown on the WD21 shaft) all look, fit, and function the same, so that’s a moot discrepancy. Although the tone rings are different, all that really matters is that the R50 tone ring can be seated on it (and it can). Besides, the only differences between the Unicorn #1’s tone rings were the finish and the internal diameter; tooth count and external dimensions were the same.

So, what a surprise to find an ounce of cross-compatibility between the C200 and H233B! I found 3 VINs for trucks matching Unicorn #2, which are notably XE trim for V6 AT 4WD KC/CC models.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

The Hardware…

The hardest part might be sourcing the shafts. I can tell you firsthand that Unicorn #1 seems a little hard to find. Possibly due to limited sales, but Nissan reliability (of course!). I feel I’ve seen more Unicorn #2 trucks since making the discovery.

The best way check a donor is by VIN. Go to NissanPartsDeal.com, enter the VIN, and go to the Axle & Suspension > Rear Axle section, and look up part code 38162 (can’t miss it on the diagram). If it matches the above part numbers, you’re in luck. If it returns p/n 38164-VE060, try again, because that’s the 33/s shaft.

I recommend getting the entire axle shaft assembly (shaft + brakes) if you can. Parts like the ABS tone rings aren’t cheap, and they will be re-used.

If using Unicorn #1 shafts, you need/want the following new items:

• Wheel bearing x2: 43210-42G10 (or W/D21 aftermarket equivalent)
  • Axle lock washer x2: 43069-R9000 (OE Nissan; this should be replaced whenever the bearing is pulled)
  • Oil seal x2: 43252-VW000 (previously 43252-01G00; or W/D21 aftermarket equivalent. This installs at the end of the axle tube and is required since the axle shaft has a slightly smaller diameter)
  • Grease seal x2: 43232-01G10 (or any H233B aftermarket equivalent. Despite some different p/ns, they’re exactly the same, and several RockAuto options do cross-list them.)

If using Unicorn #2 shafts, you need/want the following new items:

• Wheel bearing x2: 43210-0W000 (or R50/D22/WD22 aftermarket equivalent)
  • Axle lock washer x2: 43234-0W000 (OE Nissan)
  • Oil seal x2: 43252-0W000 (or R50/D22/WD22 aftermarket equivalent)
  • Grease seal x2: 43232-01G10 (or any H233B aftermarket equivalent)

Basically, Unicorn #1 uses W/D21 and 31/s D22 parts. Unicorn #2 uses R50 and 33/s D22 parts.

Everything else from the axle can (and basically will) be re-used, including the ABS tone rings. Now’s also a good time to replace two O-rings (43085-42G00) found at each end of the axle tube, as well as a new diff gasket (38320-T3322)...I don’t recommend RTV here.

At this point, everything from the axle shaft assemblies are broken down to the bare shafts and re-assembled to fit an R50. You’ll need to transfer over your brake backing plates, as the Frontiers have different parking brakes, to the 31/s shafts.

(Of course, if you have a Frontier or Xterra, you should be able to just swap the entire assembly over as-is and not replace anything, except the oil seal if using Unicorn #1. Unicorn #2 would be the best bet. However, there were two styles of parking brakes: one resembles a Toyota setup with a single cable that goes across the axle, and the other has two separate cables leading to a point above the driveshaft. The Unicorn #1 shafts had the former style, but I think all other Frontiers and Xterras had the latter style. Lastly, if you’re putting these shafts in a 2wd truck with the H233B, you don’t need the ABS tone rings...your tone ring is on the 3rd member near the pinion flange.)

• Like 1

#2: Mechanical lockers and differential carriers

As stated above, there are a few locker options, which I’ll detail here a little. Each option determines which carrier you can use. Basically, you need an open carrier and there are two options:

• 2-pinion: These featured a bar-type cross-shaft and two spider gears in a solid 1-piece carrier. They are found in all R50 and W/D22/U models with 4.363, 4.636, and 4.9 ratios.

fullsizeoutput_da4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_da5.jpg

• 4-pinion: These feature a cross-type cross-shaft and 4 spider gears in a 2-piece clamshell-style carrier that bolts together. They came with 4.375 and 4.625 gears. They look very similar to the LSD carriers, except the core of it is wider and fills more of the the ring gear. It looks like this:

s_l1600_(1).jpg

s_l1600.jpg

For comparison, the LSD carrier (found on all of the aforementioned trucks) has a smaller core and won’t work here:

s_l1600.jpg

s_l1600_1.jpg

And here are your locker options...

Spartan Locker

• Price: $283 @ eBay, Amazon
  • P/N: SL-NPATROL-31
  • Fits: 2-pinion

This was the cheapest option at the time of R&D, as it had a $35 rebate (and came with a beer koozie...score!). This is what TowndawgR50 is installing. Despite being marketed for Patrols, the 31/s Patrol carrier is a derivative of the R50 carrier...uses the same bearings, spider gears, and even pinion shaft (I confirmed this with Nissan’s European parts catalog)...see the Lokka description below.

During R&D, we discovered we needed thrust washers to get within install spec, despite the instructions saying to not re-use the OE thrust washers. Unfortunately, all available OE washers are too thick. I tried this with two R50 carriers; same results. TowndawgR50 found a place that has some non-OE options, though. Comes with a new cross-shaft.

The installation on this was pretty convenient, too...Spartan has a unique design where you can depress the pins into the drivers and hold them in place with little wire dowels. When everything is installed in the carrier, you just pull the dowels to release the pins into place. (In comparison, other lockers tend to need some grease and a flat screwdriver to push into place.)

Fitment in an R50 carrier:

IMG_4309.jpg

Side gear comparisons (OE top, Spartan bottom):

IMG_4310.jpg

Lokka

• Price: $272-$277 @ Lokka
  • P/Ns: NIS-FO-160 (Y60), NIS-FO-242 (Y61)

This is what I was planning to run, but Lokka screwed the pooch here. My front Lokka has been great, so I presume this would have been great too.

Didn’t get to test this out firsthand, unfortunately. Fitment should be the same as the Spartan, but unsure if thrust washers would be an issue. The two R50 Lokkas I’ve installed used them and were within spec. Not sure if this comes with a new cross-shaft, but I doubt it. As you can see in this Patrol-specific Lokka installation guide, that open carrier looks exactly like the R50 one above.

Lock Right 3210

• Price: $355 @ eBay, Amazon
  • P/N: LR-3210

The most expensive of the lunchbox-style lockers, but I’ve seen them with $35 rebates recently, too. Not to be confused with the 3220. The notable about this was that it was erroneously marketed to a bunch of Nissan trucks and SUVs as fitting 33/s axles for some reason. Definitely not the case. And since the W/D21 (maybe some late 80’s ones?) and the Unicorn #1 trucks didn’t appear to use 2-pinion carriers, and this was made for the NA market...I have no clue what this was really supposed to fit! But, if it’s 31/s and 2-pinion, I’m confident it’ll fit the 2-pinion carrier. Whether or not it needs different thrust washers...

3210.jpg

Lock Right 3220

• Price: $271 @ eBay
  • P/N: LR-3220
  • Fits: 4-pinion

Also had a $35 rebate recently. This locker is unique from the previous 3 in that it reuses the OE side gears. It’s also the only one requiring the 4-pinion carrier. Same functional concept, though. Of the 4 so far, this seems like the only one that is confirmed to fit the applications in which it is listed.

Nissan Nut has installation steps here.

3220_LR.jpg

Detroit Locker

• Price: $450-$625 @ AC, $650 @ Rugged Rocks, $590 @ Summit
  • P/N: 187SL167A
  • Fits: 4-pinion ($450) -or- sold as a complete differential replacement ($590-$650+)

I’ve heard that these are hard to find, but seems that everyone still sells them. AC is the only place that lists the innards (“while supplies last”); if you go this route, this just installs in the 4-pinion carrier. Otherwise, you can buy the complete assembly and it just replaces your entire carrier, regardless if it’s LSD or not.

I’ve always heard good things about Detroits, but this probably isn’t the most cost-effective option here.

That all said...

If you have a 2-pinion open diff, the best option is probably the Lokka (hoping that it doesn’t need thrust washers). For anything else, consider sourcing a 4-pinion carrier and getting the Lock Right 3220. FWIW, my local junkyard charges about $150 for a complete 3rd-member assembly.

At this point, you’ll need the know-how to install the locker into the carrier, and set backlash on the gears. Much of that information is online or in the FSM.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

Is this worth it?

In a nutshell: yes, if the end goal is to simply be locked.

Not factoring the costs of installation, consumable items that would be required for either installation (like bearings, fluids, etc.), and assuming everything ships free, the true costs of an air locker (plus compressor) or e-locker setup easily doubles or triples the cost of this swap, quickly exceeding $1100 in just core parts (and not counting other pneumatic parts you may need; the E-locker is about $1150). Assuming this project went without issue, we were in just over $450; $250 for the locker (after rebate) + $200 for the axle shaft assemblies...but let’s just round up to $500 for the sake of argument.

Consumables for either install are closer to $200. Not sure labor rates, but wild guess at $300-$600 if you had to pay someone to do it. I bought myself a 12-ton HF floor press for $100 so that I could do all the press work myself.

Mechanical lockers have their own “character” at times, and require a different mindset when driving with them. They’re not for everyone, though. Personally, my front Lokka has been great but I’ve not dealt with it under rear-like conditions since my manual hubs effectively disable it on the street.

Of course, you pay a premium for selectability when it comes to lockers. But, you also pay a premium for complexity to both plumb the pneumatics and wire the electricals. I’m switching to dual air lockers soon (for other reasons) and I’ve spent the past several days figuring out just the pneumatic side from my existing onboard setup that was initially meant for tire inflations. Talk about hell trying to create a system that’s mainly NPT when ARB uses BSPT and UNF connections and a non-standard 5mm air hose. I can’t even tell what TJM uses and everything needs an adapter because nothing is the same size. And if the acronyms get the better of you, let’s just it’s all BS and it can KMA and STFU AFAIK. I’m just glad I know more about circuits than pneumatics.

But basically, there are no wires or air required for a mechanical locker. That’s a selling point in itself.

Anyway, if you made it this far, I’m sorry. Long read, I know. You were warned. See TL;DR above. Questions?

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy the technical write-ups with PICTURES!!!

Considering the time, effort, and money (for parts and tools needed) would it be feasible to get the complete rear end from an Xterra (or other vehicle with a locker already installed) and fabricate your own spring perches, trailing arm mounts, etc... and use that?

Considering the time, effort, and money (for parts and tools needed) would it be feasible to get the complete rear end from an Xterra (or other vehicle with a locker already installed) and fabricate your own spring perches, trailing arm mounts, etc... and use that?

No, I don't think swapping in another axle is practical or beneficial. Time, effort, and money for this swap are pale in comparison to a full axle swap. You'd be better off just doing an air or e-locker if considering that scenario.

One phrase I surprisingly didn't use in my write-up—and really should have—is that the above is 100% bolt-on. Perhaps a little more involved than air/e-locker install (because you don't need to disassemble the axle shaft assemblies at all), but the same or simpler in all other aspects (again, no plumbing, no electrical). There's also no fabrication, no grinding, no drilling, no filing...seriously, completely bolt-on using off-the-virtual-shelf lockers, OE/aftermarket replacement parts, and minimal donors parts (namely, the axle shafts and carrier, if needed).

But, for additional reinforcement to my answer:

1. Nissan e-Lockers didn't surface until after 2005, when models had the M226. But, it's a completely different differential/axle. People heard "Dana" and went ape-shix about it. Whoopty-do! It's a shame that it got more aftermarket support than almost two-decades worth of H233B simply because it's a Dana 44 derivative (yet is not like other D44 out there). I'm not even remotely convinced that the M226 is better than an H233B, either. Nissan Nut has a side-by-side comparison of ring gears, and despite being 6mm different in bolt-ring diameter, the H233 ring still dwarfs it. (Yeah, size matters here.)
  2. Early M226 e-lockers were apparently plagued by weak spider gears that failed under moderate use. Nissan Nut documents it in the link above. He didn't even bother repairing it (parts didn't exist at the time...not sure if they even do now, but I understand there was an improved OE locker that eventually came out). I've also seen numerous reports of busted side gears and stripped axle splines as well. Can't say the same for H233B (but assuredly it has happened).
  3. Supposing the M226 axle was a viable option, you'd need the entire axle to make it work. Outside of the custom fabrication required to mount it up, you'd still need to resolve wheel pattern discrepancies (6x4.5 vs. 6x5.5), and presumably adapt the driveshaft flanges, at minimum. The ABS system is likely different, too. Parking brakes, too. I don't even know if the axles are the same width. But, point is, you'd have to factor in far more things to make it work for any pre-2005 applications, and it'd essentially be a downgrade in overall axle strength.

Personally, I think Nissan really crapped the bed with everything after the 2005MY. The VQ40DE is a stroked VQ35DE, but was plagued by the SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death). The aluminum front R180 case (previously steel and similar to the R200 case) had a tendency to self destruct. The M226...see above. The R51 Pathfinder got a narrow-box center-mount R200 with long CVs and IRS, common in style to those only found historically on Nissan cars...the Armada went the same route, but at least had a differential (R230) on par with the H233B. Even the C200K found in Frontiers and Xterras was subtly different enough from the previous C200/R200A. Lastly, comparing the ring gear size of the R52 Pathfinder with the H233B is like comparing a tennis ball to a bowling ball.

It all just reads like 2005 = downgrade to me. Admittedly, I think the looks improved, though. But, I'll never stop believing that 1988-2004 is the Golden Era of Nissan trucks. Even my 1998 Frontier 2wd with H190A rear only just failed a few months ago after 18 years and well over 200K miles, going through a "fun" period (my late teens and early 20's) that saw a 20% larger tires (that's a 31" tire from a stock 26") on stock 3.9 gears, suspension lifts, tons of jack-rabbit starts and washboard roads, and a few clutch burn-ups trying to get unstuck from obstacles. Yet a "Dana 44" can't survive half those numbers with a locker designed to be used in a slow speed, low-gear applications with more torque? It indeed blows thou mind.

Long story short: I wouldn't use anything other than an H233B on the truck.

• Like 2

I think I was there with the m226 broke on the trail and NN borrowed my welder to get it going again.

I wished I had read the thread so I could have saved you some time with your research as since I was well familiar with Chris's rig and findings a long time ago.

But hey, glad it were able to stick it though! I've did myself so I feel you on it.

Yeah, Chris did have a 12-year head start in me, of course. Still can't believe his work didn't show up on my searches.

Just happy to be able to expand on the options for those who might be interested. Happier to not have had to scrap the project altogether.

• Like 1

I'm at the junkyard right now, and guess what I found? A 2005 Titan with the M226 and all that's left of a busted crosshaft, and toasted pinion. I'll post some pics later.

What issue did you have with Lokka?

They just couldn't fulfill the order and strung me along about it. At first they said there was an issue at their manufacturing plant that created a backorder (yet it was in-stock when I ordered). They didn't even let me know when they knew about it, took them a few days to even respond to my initial inquiry email. By the time they said they could ship it, I was traveling so we arranged for them to hold the shipment for a few days. When I got back, no locker, no emails. Few more days waiting for their reply. Then a few more. Then a few more. They didn't answer any of my emails within 2 weeks. I had to contact them on FB because they stopped replying to emails. All I wanted for them was to communicate a date and ship it. Then it took them another week or so to refund me.

Compared to last year: both duke90 and I ordered ours on the same day, and both arrived at my house in 4 days.

I'm at the junkyard right now, and guess what I found? A 2005 Titan with the M226 and all that's left of a busted crosshaft, and toasted pinion. I'll post some pics later.

My guess at failure source is a sheared cross-shaft (all I could find of it is that little 1.5" piece), judging by the wallowed-out thrust washers. Who puts a 3.35 (47:14) gear ratio in a full-size 4wd truck anyway? Oh right... Nissan...

IMG_4493.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

OK, this post is awesome, but I assume you did all this work because a 33 spline locker is not available? I have scoured old threads trying to find info on mechanical lockers and it seems one was never created for 33 splines, but the threads are all filled with hope! I found this one below at justdifferentials. Are they incorrect and leading me on suggesting that the Lock Right as shown will fit later 33 spline R50s? Or what's going on here?

Does the community know for sure that a 31 spline mechanical locker will not work or cannot be modified to work with 33 spline axles?

http://www.justdifferentials.com/PT3220-p/pt3220.htm

Rear%20Diff%20Lock%20Right%2033_zpsaalpv

Applications%202_zpse9jyvbrm.png

• Like 2

Called 'em up and dude says for sure it will work. They definitely don't sell many. He made it sound like there is a separate part number for 31 or 33 spline axles, and it would be best to place the order by phone.

The part number in the link is also obsolete now. Sounds like they are selling a Nitro locker now and not Powertrax. The site doesn't reflect that yet, but the new part number is LBH233B-1.

Last note, he definitely didn't recommend that I install one. He said nothing against mechanical lockers in general, they have their place, but that this was just a cheap mechanical locker and would be pretty crude. Recommended an ARB instead. Upsell or honest? Could be either, but I think both, he seemed really knowledgeable and friendly.

FWIW This site also implies that it will work with 33 splines: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/powertrax-rear-lock-right-locker-nissan-h233b-4-pinion-carrier-pt-3220.html

Edited by bob82pigdog

OK, this post is awesome, but I assume you did all this work because a 33 spline locker is not available?

Does the community know for sure that a 31 spline mechanical locker will not work or cannot be modified to work with 33 spline axles?

Thanks! And yes, there are no 33/s mechanical lockers available, not even for a Patrol (which had OE rear lockers anyway).

SteeevO, owner of Rugged Rocks and a member/vendor here, had been pushing to make this happen with a couple manufacturers for about a decade now. When I last chatted with him about it last year, the initial and minimum order quantities seemed too risky to move it forward.

The Powertrax catalog doesn't show this as fitting 33/s, either. It may have been an early misapplication by Richmond/Powertrax or vendors, but that's been corrected by Powertrax. Not sure why it continues to be cross-listed.

You could theoretically broach 31/s side gears to be 33/s, but the spline diameters are too close and the metal too hardened to be able to reasonably do that. And then, you'd need someone with the right broaching die and machine...good luck finding that guy.

Still, I'm 99.9% sure it won't work. You'd think it'd be spline-agnostic because it reuses the OE side gears, but here's why it doesn't work:

• I found no proof of a 4-pinion open carrier with 33/s side gears ever existed. All the vehicles with 33/s H233B (all R50 Pathfinder, some D22 Frontiers, all WD22 Xterras) used a 2-pinion open carrier or the LSD.
  • Although the LSD carrier is 4-pinion and came with 33/s side gears, the 3220 is too large for it.
  • 33/s side gears have rounded teeth while 31/s have a sharper cut. The 3220's drivers wouldn't mesh properly.
  • The 3220 drivers won't fit into the 2-pinion carrier.

Precise1 provided some dimensions and pics for the 3220 on one of my other posts. I compared them against the LSD side gears in a reply. You can also see the 33/s side gears in post #4 on this thread.

That said, the .1% is reserved for an IDGAF moment where you just put the 2-pinion 33/s side gears into the 4-pinion open carrier and use it as is. My cross-referencing suggests it could all physically fit and work to some degree, but it'd surely fail soon after.

• Like 1

Called 'em up and dude says for sure it will work. They definitely don't sell many. He made it sound like there is a separate part number for 31 or 33 spline axles, and it would be best to place the order by phone.

The part number in the link is also obsolete now. Sounds like they are selling a Nitro locker now and not Powertrax. The site doesn't reflect that yet, but the new part number is LBH233B-1.

Last note, he definitely didn't recommend that I install one. He said nothing against mechanical lockers in general, they have their place, but that this was just a cheap mechanical locker and would be pretty crude. Recommended an ARB instead. Upsell or honest? Could be either, but I think both, he seemed really knowledgeable and friendly.

FWIW This site also implies that it will work with 33 splines: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/powertrax-rear-lock-right-locker-nissan-h233b-4-pinion-carrier-pt-3220.html

But is he knowledgeable about Nissans? There are very few vendors that know squat about Nissans. Rugged Rocks (Steve) and Automotive Customizers (Mike), who specialize in Nissan parts, have it listed correctly. You should talk to those guys.

Again, use of the 3220 hinges on the idea that a 4-pinion carrier with 33/s side gears existed and had the same cut as the 31/s side gears. It doesn't exist. If it does, it's not discussed in any 96-04 R50/D22/WD22 FSM and not even Powertrax shows it as an application.

• Like 1

But is he knowledgeable about Nissans? There are very few vendors that know squat about Nissans. Rugged Rocks (Steve) and Automotive Customizers (Mike), who specialize in Nissan parts, have it listed correctly. You should talk to those guys.

Agreed that those are probably the best "Nissan-centric" sources for parts. Their sites indicate it wouldn't work. So I can throw that option out the window. Dang. I didn't realize there was a separate issue of 4 pinion vs. 2 pinion. People don't seem to make those distinctions as much. Do all 96-04 R50s have 2 pinion carriers?

Do you have any concern about the 31 spline axles being a weaker option?

I am having a tough time painting this grand differential picture, but I'm getting there! Can you help me put this piece together: When is the model year split for Pathfinders that had 31 spline vs. 33 spline axles? Or is there one? Do ALL R50s, including the earlier ones that have 4.636 gears have 33 spline axles? In my head I was thinking 96-00 R50s with 4.636 gears also had 31 splines. Then when they made the switch to VQ35 the gears changed to 4.363 and 33 spline. Is that correct?

I'm just trying to figure out the best options, like a lot of us, for re-gearing and locking my diffs. Again, thanks for the awesome contributions!

A tech specs repository for the various options offered for the R50 is what's needed. Too much, "well I heard this..." about a certain year's specs, and not enough verified data floating around.

Hope this post gets stickied for future questions.

A tech specs repository for the various options offered for the R50 is what's needed. Too much, "well I heard this..." about a certain year's specs, and not enough verified data floating around.

Hope this post gets stickied for future questions.

FWIW, all the info I digest comes directly from the FSMs, which I perceive as the de-facto source of information (at least for North American models). When I do my parts cross-references, I use the following sites:

• http://www.NissanPartsDeal.com -- I've found this to be extremely accurate when filtering by VIN. I source VINs from eBay auctions and online car classifieds, such as AutoTrader, where much of the vehicle information is provided and can be compared to results at NPD.
  • http://Parts.NissanUSA.com -- This is Nissan's official parts website. It also has a search by VIN, which is usually reliable (if the data is available, which it isn't always). I use this to reinforce information from NPD, as well as to get manufacturing dates (the site will post multiple p/n and provide the manufacturing dates of the vehicle that they would have appeared on)
  • http://www.NissanParts.cc -- They have a p/n lookup that pretty much tells you all the vehicles (by model, year, trim) where a p/n was used. While sometimes the parts descriptions contain conflicting or vague information, it's still high-level useful.
  • http://nissan-europe.epc-data.com/ -- This is European parts equivalent of #2...although not officially Nissan, and it completely lacks diagrams, it has all the part numbers that can be cross-referenced.

I can provide examples of how I use them, if it'll help.

Do all 96-04 R50s have 2 pinion carriers?

Do you have any concern about the 31 spline axles being a weaker option?

I am having a tough time painting this grand differential picture, but I'm getting there! Can you help me put this piece together: When is the model year split for Pathfinders that had 31 spline vs. 33 spline axles? Or is there one? Do ALL R50s, including the earlier ones that have 4.636 gears have 33 spline axles? In my head I was thinking 96-00 R50s with 4.636 gears also had 31 splines. Then when they made the switch to VQ35 the gears changed to 4.363 and 33 spline. Is that correct?

I'm just trying to figure out the best options, like a lot of us, for re-gearing and locking my diffs. Again, thanks for the awesome contributions!

Yes, all open R50 diffs are the 2-pinion versions. 4-pinion LSDs were the only other option.

The shafts are hardly weaker. Whatever you could do to break a 31/s shaft would likely break a 33/s. We're talking 1-2mm deltas at any given point. The shafts only differ by 1mm (33.5mm vs 34.5m), and the splines by 2mm (31mm vs 33mm). That's negligible in my book. And that's only for the 99-00 Frontier shafts. The 03-04 Frontier shafts are identical to the R50 shafts, except for the splined part and the wheel flange.

Grand picture:

• All WD21 (87-95) with H233B have 31/s (but not all WD21 have H233B; C200 was the other option).
  • All R50 (96-04) have 33/s (all have H233B, none have 31/s).
  • All 03-04 R50 have 4.363; all prior R50s had either 4.363 or 4.636. The R50 ratios are not tied to engines.
  • All H233B WD21 and D21 have 4.375 or 4.625.
  • Frontiers with H233B have all 4 ratios depending on splines.
  • Xterras with H233B have R50 ratios, plus 4.9 (not all Xterras have H233B; some had C200).
  • The 03-04 Frontiers C200 has 31/s (that's Unicorn #2).
  • I don't think the Xterra got 31/s C200 until MY05, but it's a different axle (C200K) with its own nuances.

If you plan to re-gear (assuming you have 4wd), your only option is to go to 4.636 if you have 4.363. There's no other gears that will fit your front R200A diff. You can determine your ratio by looking at the Axle Code on your truck's tag (passenger firewall, or driver's door jamb). HG43=4.363, HG46=4.636.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

So hawairish, you also mentioned you were ultimately switching to front and rear air lockers, what was your reasoning / wants / needs? I think that's probably what I'll end up doing if I keep wheeling and enjoying this rig.

Hi Guys,
There is some good axle shaft info in this thread!
It's good to see that in depth tech info is still being shared on this forum.

As far as the locker goes, Just Differentials is the only ones that lists the lockright for the 33 spline diff. Following the tech note, I don't see why it wouldn't work with the 4 pinion case. However in my experience the 33-spline side gears in a 4-pinion case are pretty rare. I'm used to seeing LSD's or single piece 33-spline carriers.

Also just a side note, I'm having Revolution Gear & Axle make H233B gears 5.57 and 5.89. in both standard and reverse rotation.
These ratios were previously available through Nissan but only in standard rotation. Having the reverse rotation gears will now allow for patrols to have more gearing options as well as open up more gearing options for SAS rigs.

• Like 2