Humming/vibration in 97 front end

97matt

This past week I have noticed a very pronounced hum/vibration in my steering wheel at speeds starting at about 20-25 all the way up to 70. At 75-80 it goes away. So much so the keys hanging on my key ring vibrate together. If I hold onto the top of the steering wheel, 12 o'clock, it stops but I can still feel it in my hands. But if I hold at the 7-8 like I usually do it comes back. The vehicle tracks straight and doesn't have any other issues really. After a brake change earlier this year I have noticed a small clunking noise coming from the driver side. I thought maybe it was the caliper but everything is tight.

About a month ago I was returning from a trip on the interstate of about 50 miles. I kid you not, 50 yards from my house I heard this loud bang and felt my vehicle run something over. I stopped and found this piece of metal with remains of rubber on the top laying on the ground that was very hot to the touch. Dealer said it was a vibration dampener from the exhaust. Is it needed? Not really they said but it can reduce vibrations at certain RPMs( they didn't know which ones). This doesn't feel like a exhaust vibration, plus all the mounts of the exhaust short of the block are hung from hooks and rubber ends to the body/frame. I'm just thankful that 2-3 pound paper weight didn't come flying off while I was cruising down the interstate.

Pathfinder has 193k miles, tires are at about 50%. The struts and CV axles have been replaced in the past 2-2.5 years. Doing a little bit of reading this morning I suspect wheel bearings and or something else. The clunk from braking only happens at slow speeds, most noticeable during stop and go traffic or the drive through.