PCV valve 3.5, manual.

pathfinder1990

I have read quite a few threads (although they are hard to find and very old) on getting to the PCV valve to change it. Going to tackle it this weekend, recently got all the gaskets/valve/grommet. Just had a few questions.

It is for a 2001.0 Pathfinder SE

1) Do i have to disconnect or open the cooling system in any way. This is a manual transmission so i don't believe any coolant lines run through the throttle body. My truck had some nightmare like overheating issues due to an air bubble in the cooling system a year ago, we eventually got it burped but I basically never want to open that system again:|.

2) The gaskets for the most part, is there an up and a down, should gasket tack spray be used to help hold them in place while reinstalling the plenums.

3) I have read a few people complain about strange idol after doing this work, and having to do an idol re-teach? Could anyone speak about this or any other "after the job" issues that arise?

4) Change spark plugs while i'm there because of the ease of access, any other "while your there" (Again i'm not going to touch the cooling system if possible, so the water control valve is not something I am willing to change.

Thanks very much, ill be sure to take lots of pictures of the procedure and my findings, if anyone has a few good links where someone else has done the same I like flipping through them all before I start my own work. I have read *PCV valve replacement, a horor story* which was helpful.
Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I tackled this yesterday, just need to upload the pictures. My PCV was absoultly plugged solid, no rattle what soever along with a blockage in the hard line after the PCV. Found all my oil too, caked and cooked into both the upper and lower intake manifolds.

Cleaned them like new and changed the spark plugs as well (the old ones looked okay, no signs of oil caked on them, refering to the Haynes manual spark plug pictures showed they were running "too hot."

I run premium gas because I found it does run more smoothly with it (also thought I was seeing less oil consumption with premium gas but I think that was a placebo effect. I did have/have O2 sensor codes on bank two, maybe forcing it to run to lean? After seeing my intake plenum I can only imagine what the o2 sensors look like.

Does anyone know what the average 2001.0 MANUAL pathfinder idol is? I used to sit at just above 950, now seems to sit around 970rpm. I believe this only because I had the battery disconnected. I manged to do this job without disconnecting any connectors on the throttle body.

Also my pictures are not the best as once my hands were dirty I just kept working and took a few, but for anyone looking to find how to get down to the PCV valve I recommend not searching for PCV threads, but rather the threads for applying lock-tight to Power valve screws for automatics, as those threads are very detailed in removing the intake Manifolds.

***HOWEVER*** After doing this job once, i strongly believe replacing of the PCV could be done by removing ONLY the upper intake manifold and reaching behind by feel and removing the valve, but this would only be a comfortable way to do this job if you knew where it is, and how to remove it. This will not allow you to check hard lines for blockages and cleaning.

• Like 1