Sold 94 pathfinder, got 03 Xterra

bherscher

If you think of it, report back in a few months and let us know how the two vehicles compare. I'm sure a lot of us will be contemplating Xterras in the future as Pathfinders continue to age. Specifically for me, how does power compare between the two? 180 horsepower doesn't sound like a lot more considering the larger size. Thanks!

After having both, the X has some pluses, but there are quite a few things it lacks that my wd21 has. Here is a brief list.

Missing from X that my Wd has:

-heated seats

-heated mirrors (in Canada or winter states this is a plus)

-rear seats don't seem to recline or have headrests.

-rear seats don't have arm rests

-coil sprung suspension (every X I looked at had broken leaf packs)

-tire carrier

-rear glass that opens

Also you have to remove the seat bottoms when folding the seats which kind of sucks but if I'm camping it gives me more room. But if you need to use them in a pinch while the bottoms are at home this presents a problem.

The truck feels marginally faster. More torque for sure. I have the supercharged version with a fresh motor.

It is also way harder on fuel than my wd21. For no reason. Runs great, no codes.

Pluses for the X:

-No frame rot

-No floor panel rot

-No flares to rot out fenders

-Good headlights/fog lights

-Cool looking roof rack

-More parts available as they're newer

They are very similar front end wise. Going from a pathy I found myself at home. Only difference is no stupid tension rods. Also the ball joints are press in not bolt in, bottom ones have a large but which is a pita.

When I was selling my pathfinder I took a long hard look at the X myself, and yes, I did start to come really close to trying to grab up a supercharged version. Those also come with the upgrade 300 watt sound system with the subwoofer. I liked how the trim and wheels looked on the SC versions, but I was concerned about buying a high mileage super charged vehicle and reliability. The other thing that I thought would probably drive me (or my wife, it really was supposed to be her daily driver) is the constant "whine" from the compressor. In the end I went a different direction entirely. I do think those X's (2000-2004) are really solid, dependable little tanks and I could still see a future where I might have one to myself, it's possible. Hell, it's a WD22, I mean..come on..right?

Well so far I do like the Xterra. As mentioned, rear seats don't fold down right and rear glass doesn't open but those are the only two negatives to date. Acceleration is much improved and I don't feel like I have to really beat on it to get going in a hurry. I race small bore formula cars for fun and can't help but "practice" on the street! Turning radius seems a little tighter, and I definitely like the spare tire located out of the way. I need to address a windshield washer issue and replace some tired speakers but otherwise, it's all good!

And yes, this is clearly a blood relative to the pathfinder.

When I was selling my pathfinder I took a long hard look at the X myself, and yes, I did start to come really close to trying to grab up a supercharged version. Those also come with the upgrade 300 watt sound system with the subwoofer. I liked how the trim and wheels looked on the SC versions, but I was concerned about buying a high mileage super charged vehicle and reliability. The other thing that I thought would probably drive me (or my wife, it really was supposed to be her daily driver) is the constant "whine" from the compressor. In the end I went a different direction entirely. I do think those X's (2000-2004) are really solid, dependable little tanks and I could still see a future where I might have one to myself, it's possible. Hell, it's a WD22, I mean..come on..right?

The only time you hear the supercharger is if you are well into the throttle. Normal, reasonable driving you would never notice.

My brother has a X. His rear seats fold down. Not completely flat, but they fold enough to get some extra storage. The E-brake seems hokey to me. It is a cable and pivot system. Seems a bit primitive? Regardless, it serves the purpose it was intended to.

When my pathfinder dies I will replace the engine or get a X.

Edited by RF600

I'm sticking with my Terrano for as long as possible, it's age is making it look kinda funky! Plus other drivers look at it like "what is that?" because you are lucky if you see one like mine once a week that's how rare they are getting, not even hardly any parts in junk yards. I think in a few more years time the price is going to go up on these old iron trucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Other than seeing the three others that are in occasional use around Montreal (including Pav's green one) I have yet to see another anywhere in Quebec/ Ottawa region. Making my WD21 just about the only daily driver. X-terras are a dime a dozen as seen in every kind of condition imaginable, pristine 2001 to beat 2006.... They just don't have the "cachet" of a WD21 yet.

Other than seeing the three others that are in occasional use around Montreal (including Pav's green one) I have yet to see another anywhere in Quebec/ Ottawa region. Making my WD21 just about the only daily driver. X-terras are a dime a dozen as seen in every kind of condition imaginable, pristine 2001 to beat 2006.... They just don't have the "cachet" of a WD21 yet.

How would you know, you never come to Ottawa :tongue:

But you are correct. Mine is the only one I ever see driving around.