Speedometer needle melted

JusticeCrew

Hey everyone. Got some questions. Got my 92 5spd xe pathy back in April and the speedometer needle is bent at the tip and doesn't read true. Was just going to replace it with new or junkyard cluster, but those ranging between $110 and $300, wanted to see if I could just straighten it out first. So my question is does anyone know how the 92 cluster comes out? Hubby is always out of town, and before I start just remov8ng screws needed some Intel that my Haynes manual doesn't give. Thanks in advance

I did my 94 and it was exactly as it appeared. Very straightforward and easy, even with sore arthritic hands that fumble everything! Give it a shot. I think I have the old one I removed on a shelf here somewhere if you want to pay shipping it's yours. Think the odometer quit on it. Got replacement from salvage yard.

I did my 94 and it was exactly as it appeared. Very straightforward and easy, even with sore arthritic hands that fumble everything! Give it a shot. I think I have the old one I removed on a shelf here somewhere if you want to pay shipping it's yours. Think the odometer quit on it. Got replacement from salvage yard.

Thanks you so much for the offer. I'm gonna attack it this weekend. I will keep you updated!

If you need help getting the speedometer needle straightened I managed to fix it, here's how -

Remove the cluster first obviously.

Lower the steering column. It's impossible to remove the cluster without lowering the steering wheel.

Next, remove the 6 screws holding the steering column cover together and remove the top.

Next, remove the 4 screws holding the plastic trim around the edges of the cluster. Then grab the edges both sides and pull firmly towards yourself. The bottom part of the trim is secured by metal clips which will pop out. If a metal clip falls out you will be able to easily put it back in place.

Next, unclip the wiring harness to your rear window defog and any others that are behind that plastic trim.

The cluster itself is held in by 4 screws, 2 at the top and 2 on the bottom. Pull the cluster forward carefully and unplug the connections behind it. The connectors have easy to remove squeeze and remove connectors.

Taking the cluster inside to a clean area, take a small screwdriver and unscrew the small screw on the clock adjusting knob. Be careful you don't lose the tiny screw and knob.

Now you can separate the two halves of the cluster. Do not attempt to remove the plastic screen, it will break or snap easily. You'll be looking for the plastic tabs on thr outer edge holding the shell together. Squeeze them down and push inwards. It's a little tricky but once you get a couple pushed in just keep going until you feel the shell pushing apart until it's finally separated.

Now you can remove the speedometer needle. Clean hands. Wind the needle up till you feel it make a click. It's a bit hard to explain but you should feel a spot where it kinds stops, then just pull it up and off.

Heat up the kettle and get a coffee mug. You want the water to be hot, but not boiling hot because it will melt the plastic needle more. You just want it very hot. Dunk the needle into the hot water for about 15 seconds then bend it back carefully with your finger. It should be quite pliable. Dunk it again and bend again. Then get a couple of flat heavy surfaces and stick the needle between them and leave overnight if you can. Big heavy book worls with a weight on the top, like some bricks or an old car battery sitting on top of the book would be good. This will ensure the needle gets straightened as possible. While the cluster is out would also be a good opportunity to change all of the cluster bulbs to leds for an easier to read dash.

• Like 4